Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676829 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6855 on: January 09, 2021, 11:51:45 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: January 10, 2021, 10:42:36 am »

It's not really gender neutral, more like neutral possible. Usagewise it's far more masculine than feminine, unlike say, Kim or Robin.
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: January 11, 2021, 07:17:20 am »

Is it a good idea to just eat salt on its own, straight out of the shaker (or jar, in my case)? I know I should probably be adding it to food (or to the water that you boil eggs in, which is still my plan), rather than just straight-up licking salt off my fingertips like some kind of deranged salt addict.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: January 11, 2021, 07:26:43 am »

Well, generally -- and I am not an expert on this but -- I think that as long as salt tastes good alone you might be a little low on salt. And it's not worse to eat salt on it's own than it is to eat it with other things.

But generally it is not particularly good to eat too much salt.

I used to eat just salt when I was a kid, and look how I turned out.

If I remember correctly, you're on the south side of the equator, so it's summer where you are, right? You might be needing salt because of the heat. I think we lose a lot of salt when we sweat or something.
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: January 11, 2021, 07:53:26 am »

If I remember correctly, you're on the south side of the equator, so it's summer where you are, right? You might be needing salt because of the heat. I think we lose a lot of salt when we sweat or something.

Nah, I live close to the Equator. I've given this breakdown before, but I'll repeat it for the benefit for those who don't know:

I live in a tropical climate, which basically translates to "hot, humid and sweaty hell" during the dry season, and "cold and rainy hell (also still humid)" during the wet season. "Hot" is around 35-37°C (95-98.6°F), "cold" is about 24-26°C (75.2-78.8°F). It's wet season right now, I think. I'm still not sure which one's worse. By the time I'm used to one of them, the next one arrives soon after and fucks up my expectations of how the weather should be. At least I only need to wear a single layer of clothes year-round, so I put up with it.

Regardless, it probably is the heat, even during the wet season. I don't know how much water I go through in a day, but it's probably safe to say it's a high amount, and I exercise, so that pushes the water consumption up by a bit. I'm probably a bit low on electrolytes, now that you mention it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: January 11, 2021, 07:59:01 am »

Nah, I live close to the Equator. I've given this breakdown before, but I'll repeat it for the benefit for those who don't know:

Oh right, I had a look at the map and the countries I've narrowed it down to are a lot more northern and equatorial than I think of them as in my head-map. Pardon my shitty geography skills ;)
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: January 11, 2021, 08:02:42 am »

Why can head maps be misleading?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: January 11, 2021, 12:14:30 pm »

Because you don't remember the world as it looks, you remember it as you feel it looks
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: January 11, 2021, 12:34:23 pm »

Makes sense

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: January 12, 2021, 01:04:32 am »

I'm trying to cite a report here, and instead of "authors", I see "core team members". Do I cite all 20+ of these people as authors?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6865 on: January 12, 2021, 01:27:05 am »

More than three authors and you should cite "[First Author] et. al.", or possibly the name of the team if there is one.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: January 12, 2021, 01:46:14 am »

I looked a bit harder, and it seems that the suggested citation in the report itself doesn't even include the authors' names (I counted 25 of them). It's just citing the government agency it comes from. I suppose I could just skip the authors entirely, and fill in the agency's name, then, if even they don't want to cite that many people at once.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6867 on: January 12, 2021, 01:50:09 am »

In that case it would be standard to cite the agency, yes. It can go either way with organisations, but if their recommended citation is the agency then the agency it is.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: January 15, 2021, 04:42:36 am »

I thought of something while "shredding" (turning them into paper mache, more like) some documents, and I thought of something.

You know how shredded documents can still be reconstructed if you tried hard enough? Would that still hold true if you were to shred documents with some text on them (or some arbitrary abstraction of "documents") into arbitrarily-small strips of black and white? Zooming back out from the limiting case, at what strip width is reconstruction impossible, if such an impossibility exists?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:45:54 am by methylatedspirit »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: January 15, 2021, 04:48:20 am »

I guess that if they were thin enough you would be able to reconstruct each line of text, but wouldn't necessarily know what order they're in on the original page and would have to guess from context.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 636