Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676149 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7545 on: July 16, 2021, 07:47:48 pm »

In portuguese that is what it means, but for written stuff, speeches and such. It's antonym to salutations. So by the root word it works, but I also never heard anyone use that word in the real world.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: July 16, 2021, 07:56:14 pm »

I know what salutations means because of Charlette’s Web

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: July 16, 2021, 07:57:52 pm »

some pig
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: July 17, 2021, 03:55:17 am »

In Swedish we say "departurewords". Remember to use your word assembling toolkit, English!
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: July 17, 2021, 04:12:25 am »

So, taken together...

The phrase "Fuck off"  is a Maledictive Valediction?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: July 17, 2021, 07:36:50 am »

Sounds right

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: July 17, 2021, 08:05:53 am »

While "go fuck yourself" is a phalledictive maledictive vakediction
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: July 17, 2021, 03:28:39 pm »

And, "Go fuck yourself with a retractable baton!" is a Descriptive phalledictive maledictive valediction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: July 17, 2021, 10:56:18 pm »

So, I saw this video about creepers and learned they originated from miscoded pigs ( referenced in the video and comments as well) and was wondering, what kinds of mistakes do you do while trying to code a pig that results in a creeper?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: July 17, 2021, 11:13:33 pm »

So, I saw this video about creepers and learned they originated from miscoded pigs ( referenced in the video and comments as well) and was wondering, what kinds of mistakes do you do while trying to code a pig that results in a creeper?
I had heard that he got the axes (axises?) the wrong way around when coding, and so the body of the creeper ‘points’ vertically rather than horizontally, like pig. Which would make sense; the feet of both the pig and creeper are at all four ground-touching corners anyway; the only difference is the orientation of the body.
And then the explosions and the different colour and the pixel-art-face came later, when he was like ‘oh, dang, this thing is pretty cool’.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7555 on: July 18, 2021, 01:39:50 am »

Yeah, just flip width and height in one spot by mistake. Happens really easily, I do it all the time with 2D vertex-based graphics at work. 3D is basically the same with more dimensions available to switch.

Unfortunately I'm usually making geometry problems, so I can't just keep the broken thing because it looks hilarious. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: July 18, 2021, 04:05:55 am »

Is there such a thing as a systems programming/low-level language that is designed to be highly portable? Like, C and C++ are often said to be "portable assembly", but it takes a considerable amount of effort to write portable C code that works across every CPU architecture and every OS.

Does such a question even make sense, considering that languages like these need you to have a high degree of control over the machine, so abstracting low-level details away would actually detract from the point?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: July 18, 2021, 11:15:33 am »

That's the original concept for Java.  I know it's pretty high level in a lot of ways, but I think its virtual-machine model is the only reliable path to the portability you're describing.  As long as java itself keeps getting ported to new architectures, a simple enough Java app will run on *any* future architecture.  You could even have a Java VM running on trinary architecture or something.

This runs into problems when the app isn't simple enough.  And in practice, UX is designed around certain expected situations (mouse? keyboard? touchscreen?  screen size/shape? peripherals?).

Of course nowadays we expect all that from HTML5 and browsers in general, which is pretty wild to me considering how nonstandardized they used to be.  Well, Internet Explorer intentionally misimplemented things, such that a website that respected the standards would appear broken on IE.  Sites would get around this by detecting browser version and showing the correct code, or the IE-compliant code...  or they'd take the easy route and only code for IE.  Microsoft: making everything waaaay harder on users and developers just to lose war after war.

But yeah nowadays HTML5 seems pretty portable, though it's no Java.  Maybe it's more efficient than Java because it's better integrated with each browser's code, but seems like that makes it less reliable.  But I'm just guessing at this point.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: July 18, 2021, 12:18:21 pm »

I don't think Java tries to be a "systems programming language" though - the fact it needs a JVM to make that abstraction is kind of the point, isn't it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: July 18, 2021, 09:29:22 pm »

Here's the thing with Java:

Some platforms did java vm as hardware. They could run java 'natively'.

The reality though, is that it seems like methyl is just reinventing C all over again.  No, not C99, C#, C++ or its descendants. Just C.

He will find that the reason C had so many warts, lacked memory protection, did things in obtuse ways, et al--- was because the only way to approach this in the manner he is wanting to, is to target the minimal subset of capabilities that all target hardware is capable of.  Basically, the minimum set of features required by a universal Turing machine, and NOTHING ELSE.

Multiplication? Handled by re-iterated additions.
Division? Handled by re-iterated subtractions.
Exponentiation? Even more re-iterated additions, with another layer on the loop.
Data types? Only short integer values (0 - 255). Single byte.

etc.

Programs will be very painful to write. They will be cumbersome and unpleasant.

But they will run.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 636