Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676023 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7575 on: July 22, 2021, 01:52:28 am »

At the rate Delta is proliferating, I would not be surprised for lockdown 2.0 after November.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[scraping inhalation noise]

Yeah, I could see it. Skipping Thanksgiving and Christmas again, I mean. I actually only had a slice of cake for my 31st birthday today.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: July 22, 2021, 02:04:08 am »

There are social consequences for so many people being obstinate about getting vaccinated.  A large vector population for viral evolution happens to be that consequence.

If you think it's bullshit and stupid, you aren't alone.  I am just calling it like I see it though.  My condolences; I know you have social needs that have been woefully unmet, likely to be unmet yet again for another 6 months to a year.  I further know that you are an educator/in education, and get the double-whammy of Lockdown + "KIDS BACK TO SCHOOL! NAOW!". If it helps, I work healthcare.  Many of my own co-workers have been vaccine refusal twats.  I JUST had a conversation about 2 hours ago, about this. The take away is that they feel I am too trusting of science. (rolls eyes.)  I am looking down the barrel of yet another 6 months of watching people I care for have their lungs melt, because people are too fucking dumb to get the vaccine, and too selfish to realize the social consequences of that stupidity.

For what it is worth, I am going to visit my friend here in about 3 days, and will visit for a whole week. I will get all my social needs in then.  We are both super introverts, and plan to go camping far away from all the antivaxx antimask dipshits for that week, then return to our dreary solitary lives for the rest of the year.  If you lived in the area, I would invite you out with us. I'd teach you to tie knots, make pine needle baskets, and crochet while my friend looks at birds with his binoculars.  It would be a nice, quiet experience.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: July 22, 2021, 02:17:59 am »

Honestly, I'm personally not in too much trouble with career stuff anymore because my main job is no longer K-12, it's research mathematics, which can be done remotely. Sort of. Although it massively sucks to do it that way. And I've finally gotten used to not being around hundreds of people all the time anymore, which was my life for about four years pre-COVID.

I don't find it bullshit or stupid that you bring this up and am actually grateful for the chance to prepare for a holiday lockdown. The hhhhh is mainly annoyance with the vaccination stallout because at this point it feels like I'm being set up for psychological suffering for no reason. There was a good reason before. Now the reason is awful.

For what it is worth, I am going to visit my friend here in about 3 days, and will visit for a whole week. I will get all my social needs in then.  We are both super introverts, and plan to go camping far away from all the antivaxx antimask dipshits for that week, then return to our dreary solitary lives for the rest of the year.  If you lived in the area, I would invite you out with us. I'd teach you to tie knots, make pine needle baskets, and crochet while my friend looks at birds with his binoculars.  It would be a nice, quiet experience.

thank you ;____;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: July 22, 2021, 02:23:43 am »

this sounds nice

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: July 22, 2021, 02:59:53 am »

It CAN be- like all such experiences, it depends very much on who you bring with you.

the party animal will not have a good time, will make sure nobody else does either, and it would not be good.

Vector, I dont think, is a party animal.  If anything, I would think she would feel... Uncomfortable... at a party (at least, not without a girl-wall). She might likewise feel uncomfortable deep out in the woods with 2 dudes too, for that matter. I can guarantee she would be safe with us though.  Her gender is something neither of us would care about.  We would be much more interested in intelligent conversation.  For me, there is a subtle comfort that comes from having survival skills, and using them in a quiet, safe setting, just because I can.  Many people experience crippling dread and anxiety at the prospect of say, not having money for food and rent.  To me, it would just be an annoying and vexatious situation that can be resolved, if you are discrete and discerning.  I would be happy to pass on some of the knowledge that grants that resiliency, while enjoyably discussing this and that. Once you know that there is food everywhere-- literally everywhere-- you aren't quite so concerned about it.  More than anything, I am much more concerned about the state of the natural environment, due to human activity and arrogance.  that is probably the direction such a conversation would take.

It's also important to remember that "two's company, three's a crowd.".  My friend and I do well with just each other's company, as we understand each other's thoughts, positions on intellectual matters, and habits. We dont have to beat around the bush with each other, and there is no real social dance at all.  Introduce a new person, and that dynamic changes.  Introduce more than one person, and it becomes unpleasant.  Vector is a thoughtful, and insightful person. I think she would be OK to bring along. That's high praise.  He enjoys quality, well-researched, and well supported exchanges. I think Vector can supply that.  There would be a little adjustment, but I think it would be OK.  I couldn't bring more than one person though.

[It has been discretely brought to my attention that I may have inappropriately used gendered pronouns where they might not be welcomed.  It is not my intention to misgender anyone, the use of such words is mostly due to the lack of knowlege of preference, and lack of suitable non-loaded pronouns in the English language.]

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:49:38 am by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: July 22, 2021, 04:14:04 am »

this sounds nice
Same

I have a river I could just visit, in my off-time.  It's often busy, more so than I would have expected, annoyingly so.  But it's a river, and there is space.

I could just do that, tomorrow.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: July 22, 2021, 07:47:09 am »

On my Raspberry Pi, my swap usage is a seemingly high 70.2 MB/100.0 MB, despite the memory usage being 1.2 GB / 3.56 GB. It's running Linux DF under Box86 as of this post, but it seems this odd pattern of using lots of swap space happens whenever I do something CPU-intensive on it.

Why is it using swap when it doesn't seem necessary? Why doesn't the kernel just move everything out of swap and into RAM when, to me, there would be enough space for it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:40 am »

Because of your swappiness value.

The default swappiness is "60", IIRC.  This means that 60% of memory being free, is the cutoff before swap gets touched.  You can set swappiness to anything you want, with an elevated command line and echo.

eg:

Code: [Select]
sudo echo "1" >/proc/sys/vm/swappiness

systemd based systems REALLY want you to use sysctl instead though.

sudo sysctl -w vm.swappiness=1

Also, save your SD card. Install/setup zramswap.

sudo apt-get install zram-tools

Additionally, rather than run dwarf fortress via doxbox (or via qemu), consider using exagear desktop. (Eltechs is now defunct, so this is abandonware. As such, I have no qualms linking you to the internet archive page for the package.) It can be combined with wine, but also allows x86 flavor linux binaries to run, meaning linux DF will run through it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:04:12 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: July 22, 2021, 05:33:29 pm »

That sounds a bit dumb to not use ZRAM by default in Raspbian, especially considering that SD cards have awful write endurance. Any reasons as for why the devs haven't decided to do that?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: July 23, 2021, 03:50:59 am »

I have no idea why they don't.

It's really a necessary thing for any embedded linux on a restricted write-life file-system, and a small RAM pool, IMO.  (at least if the SoC is powerful enough to handle the computational overhead.)

I will warn that it going active cuts DF's performance in half though.  DF is both CPU and RAM intensive, so when the game scarfs down enough RAM that ZRAM starts getting used, it really grinds performance down. (on the plus side though, the game's data compresses REALLY well!)

I have an x86 based chromebook running xUbuntu, that I turned zram swap on. (because it has a 16gb eMMC based primary storage, and a microSD card mounted as /home, which I would prefer not to burn up) It's what I did my experiments with dwarf fortress and zram swap on. It only has 2gb of RAM, and really needs zram.

rPi systems would likewise really benefit from having zram enabled.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: July 26, 2021, 03:12:50 am »

Someone misread "Debian" as "Lesbian" on a Discord server, and I must know: what would a "Lesbian" Linux distro be?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: July 26, 2021, 03:31:34 am »

Someone misread "Debian" as "Lesbian" on a Discord server, and I must know: what would a "Lesbian" Linux distro be?

It ships.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: July 26, 2021, 07:53:40 am »

WET OS with full integration of force feedback for controllers.
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: July 26, 2021, 09:14:47 am »

Come on...
LesbOS.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: July 26, 2021, 10:47:06 am »

I don't know if it's technically legal to name an OS in a way that directly relates to it's use. Pick some food instead ;). BTW isn't there allready sextoys named debians?
let
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 636