Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 666743 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7590 on: July 26, 2021, 10:54:45 am »

Raspberry Berets

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: July 26, 2021, 12:42:01 pm »

I don't know if it's technically legal to name an OS in a way that directly relates to it's use. Pick some food instead ;). BTW isn't there allready sextoys named debians?
You're probably thinking of sybians, for what it's worth. Two letter different spelling, very different forms of masterbation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: July 26, 2021, 12:55:59 pm »

Ah ok. Still Symbian was the name of the OS nokia used for their phones in the pre android times  ;D.
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: July 27, 2021, 03:20:18 am »

And I'm just out here...a Simp-bian...

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: July 27, 2021, 11:27:12 pm »

Do *nix systems have standardized crash error messages similar to that of Windows? I'm bored of seeing "foo.exe has stopped working", I need the *nix variants of those to confuse people with.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: July 28, 2021, 02:17:20 am »

you will find them in the syslog and in dmesg

you will find them both in /var/log

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: July 28, 2021, 04:23:26 am »

there are all these tone indicators flyin’ around
everyone knows /s, what’s /j?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: July 28, 2021, 06:36:15 am »

/joke, I believe
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: July 28, 2021, 06:56:29 am »

/juxtaposing
/jukeboxing
/jongleuring
/jamming

/j
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: July 29, 2021, 02:12:08 pm »

No.

AmogOS
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: August 04, 2021, 05:08:08 am »

Suppose I had a Python script that calls multiple subprocessses of FFmpeg using the multiprocessing module, all independent. All those FFmpeg instances run an audio encoder and a PNG encoder in sequence, both single-threaded. (Anticipatory answer to 'what are you doing!?': more databending, this time misinterpreting video as audio, splitting each frame into its own image in the process. This allows for picking up where you left off if the process fails partway.)

On a machine with hyperthreading (more threads than physical cores), I have two options to determine how many jobs can run at once: I can use the number of physical CPU cores or I could use the number of CPU threads. Which option (cores or threads) is better for performance and therefore minimizes time spent?

Spoiler: My research on this (click to show/hide)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: August 11, 2021, 10:34:39 am »

Is it worse to kill a fly or to incapacitate them? I know with mammals and other higher animals there is undubitably a point where it´s more mercyful to deliver them from their pain... but flies? I used to think it´s better to kill them when they are having spasms, and I honestly don´t like to see them like that. At home I installed high quality nets to avoid this sort of situation. But where they sent me this week I have the choice between >28°C and >80% humidity, or just a tiny bit of air with approximately 20 flies entering in an hour... I´m out of options they drive me crazy.

Anyway they are so resilient, a half dead fly might be fine 5-6 hours from now. I doubt they have many pain receptors, but they definitly have an innate drive for survival. So I ask again, is it better to terminate them or to let them be once they cannot annoy me anymore? I´ve started to throw the crippled ones out so the swallows can have at them, but I don´t feel too sure about my decision.
let

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: August 11, 2021, 09:23:43 pm »

These sound like pretty good observations on flies.

I guess your incapacitation operation seems like the best option. Killing the flies ends their lives and that's the end of that. Throwing the incapacitated ones to the swallows feeds the birds and thus increases the survival of those swallows. I would assume the flies that don't get eaten would just recover in 5 hours and then carry on with their lives.

I have no credentials with animals, I'm just guessing what would happen.
Max avatar size is 80x80

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: August 17, 2021, 01:50:37 pm »

Trying to understand the odd specificity of certain things.  I got an email from my kids' school district saying they are looking for janitorial staff, which offers "full time starting at $14.61 an hour".

I'm trying to figure out why the very odd wage number. Why's it end in a 1, not a 0 or 5 as is more typical?

The only time I've had pay not ending in a "round" number like 0 or 5 is when I get a fixed % increase a year, like if my salary was $1000 and I got 3% raises two years in a row, ending up with $1060.90.  But never a starting wage at such a weird number.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: August 18, 2021, 05:28:01 pm »

It's probably a tax thing. I once applied for a job with a wage like that and it turned out that the reason why it was like this was because the union took a cut. Once the union's cost was subtracted, it became a "round" number again. I'm pretty sure Janitors have unions.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 635