Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667081 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7620 on: August 24, 2021, 02:39:49 pm »

I started a new job, just over 3 months ago. I'm still getting tons of unsolicited emails and requests from recruiters for jobs that fit my job description.  I have no intention of changing any time soon - It's seriously bad form to leave after only 3 months when it's a good work environment - I mean, if it was a disaster maybe I'd leave, but I'm quite pleased with where I am.

Anyone else experiencing this for their particular line of work?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: August 24, 2021, 04:30:05 pm »

Try telling them you found work somewhere else for now, but you’ll keep the, in consideration for a later time
Disclaimer, I haven’t had this problem so I am guessing

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: August 24, 2021, 05:19:14 pm »

I mean, it's as likely they're phishing scams as actual requests, in which case replying would be an actively harmful decision. I'd just be trashing anything I didn't recognize the source of.

Hasn't been somethin' I've personally experienced, but I've heard folks mention it happening occasionally. My advice would be to treat unsolicited emails from people you don't know like unsolicited emails from people you don't know, regardless as to if they're claiming to offer you a job or not :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: August 24, 2021, 06:05:56 pm »

Oh, these are definitely familiar companies in my industry. And I do of course try to keep the doors open if future conditions warrant.  I'm just surprised at the massive amount of unsolicited inquiry, especially considering any smart recruiter would be able to find out that I just changed jobs a very short time ago.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: August 24, 2021, 07:08:21 pm »

smart recruiter

Now there's your problem.

Jokes aside, a lot of these things are automated. It's more cost-effective to send an email to somebody who isn't interested than it is to check if they are interested. It requires extra effort for next to no reward. Plus the company can brag about their volume.

I guess you can say bots aren't smart recruiters.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: August 24, 2021, 09:15:35 pm »

Depends on the kind of cringe, but most things that are decried as "cringe" are types of fun that people (mostly outsiders, though this does happen within in-groups; see furry fandom) don't understand. That's my hypothesis. Or, to summarize:
"Cringe: fun you don't understand."
Except you know. I wrote shitty stories and forum games. That's cringe because it makes me cringe. That's the original definition. Now of course it's subjective but i'm allowed to be critical of myself.

Man, that's what you cringe about in your past? That's nothing to be embarassed about. It shows you were keen and active and enthusiastic really. And that you were applying yourself to creative endeavor.  There's plenty of backstories to writers where they started by writing weird and unsophisticate stories as kids. Who cares if you wrote lame stories, you were learning.

What I was getting at was that other people won't mind your weird moments because they have weird moments of their own. Its just part of growing up. Or, to state it pithily: That which has crunge may never cringe.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:19:04 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: August 24, 2021, 09:18:19 pm »

I remember I had to write a story for school, I wrote a story about a person who had to solve the murder of his pet dragon, t3 perpetrator used a spider whose poison could kill a dragon

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: August 26, 2021, 11:21:16 am »

How to get a (boy/girl)friend/date?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: August 26, 2021, 12:01:45 pm »

Step one: Ask someone to go.

There's not really a step two. You just keep trying step one until it works.

If you want something more finicky than that, consider that this is the small random question thread, not the massive publishing industry that exists to part folks trying to answer that question from their money :P
Ask not!
Ask!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: August 26, 2021, 03:19:55 pm »

In current year, you don't, because its all apps that profit off of your loneliness, and your success at solving that is bad for business.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: August 26, 2021, 04:23:50 pm »

Frumple's answer is the bare bones, but some preliminaries help:

First, dress and present yourself well. Confident, eye contact, smile, flirt. So on.
Second, do social things. Parties, if you wanna pick up a party girl. Extracurricular activities. Things you like are best, because obviously that's a shared interest.

If you're confident and mixing socially, eventually someone'll bite. I know it's harder said than done, but it gets easier to be confident with time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: August 26, 2021, 09:57:18 pm »

KT, yes your games sucked but the way you abandon your past is to stop obsessing over them. It's how I stopped obsessing over my edgelord past (traces of it are here but I kept mostly shut about it). Sounds tautological but you just... stop.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: August 27, 2021, 05:16:32 am »

Try joining your high school or college GSA
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: August 27, 2021, 06:50:34 am »

... just to, uh. Make sure? You're taking a different GSA than this one, right? Probably this'un, instead.

Took me a google search and a minute to find/remember the second one... don't think any of the schools I went to had one, or if they did it wasn't well advertised :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: August 27, 2021, 07:41:43 am »

Garden Secrets Association
Love, scriver~