Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 674414 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7755 on: December 16, 2021, 10:40:58 pm »

No. Computation theory + complexity, is what stymies intelligence.

One could argue this is a fancy way to say 'ignorance', but that does not properly capture the problems of information overload (unable to learn from hitting cognition limits) and Dunning Kruger (unaware that you don't actually know something, because you think you do) simultaneously, like my answer does.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: December 16, 2021, 11:09:08 pm »

I'll also throw in Faith as an answer to what counters Intelligence.

For if you Believe something to be true, you can Ignore whatever facts might dissuade you, irregardless* of how well those facts are formatted or argued.

*I know Irregardless is an invalid word, as regardless is the proper word that become a non-word by adding "Ir".  Sort of making a point there, as I can still use it.  And if I believed Irregardless to be a good and proper word, I'd keep using it irregardless of the intelligent facts used regarding its invalidity.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: December 17, 2021, 08:04:44 am »

I would say that emotion is what counters intelligence more than anything else.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: December 17, 2021, 12:12:16 pm »

Emotion can disrupt abstract thinking for sure, but it's also vitally important for solving most real-world problems.  It's all about communication.  Communication with other humans and also communicating with the more specialized, subconscious parts of our minds.

Emotional thinking has some serious flaws and is vulnerable to being manipulated but it's also extremely efficient in most cases.  Having struggled with it as a child, I know it's hard to understand and be understood by others if I try to break everything down rationally.  It's also very slow and redundant in most cases.  It's like having a GPU and several other specialized processors but only using a single CPU thread - sure it's simpler and you avoid race conditions, but it's wasteful.

Anyway that's my rational argument for why art has material value to society, brilliant minds need assistants, and learning emotions was (for me) easier than trying to simulate them.  Also dreams are, like, wild
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: December 17, 2021, 01:12:21 pm »

Given we have a class of intelligence generally called 'emotional intelligence,' I'd also disagree that emotion is the inverse of intelligence. No man is an island, as Rolan explains. We're also sorely lacking in education on emotional intelligence and management, particularly among men. The products of 'intelligence' may suffer as a result, but the fault isn't in intrinsically who we are and how we feel, but how we choose to grapple with that. It's like- pain may interrupt fruitful intelligence, because thinking when you hurt is hard, but that doesn't make it the antithesis of intelligence, right?

My answer is bugs. Bugs are super-effective against psychics, so bugs counter intelligence.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: December 17, 2021, 01:15:53 pm »

Intelligence requires data, a goal, and control over the world. Missing any of those three things, it does nothing at all.

Emotion is the goal. Without any emotion, thought would not occur. Thought requires categorization and simplification of the universe, and this would not happen without the motivation to do so. Intelligence and emotion cannot exist without one another.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: December 17, 2021, 04:06:04 pm »

Love may make the World Go Round, but Hate pays the bills. - Anonymous

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: December 18, 2021, 03:25:42 am »

What about money, I've heard about some stupid stuff people have done because money.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: December 18, 2021, 07:26:24 am »

What about money, I've heard about some stupid stuff people have done because money.
Ooooh, I got a quote for that too!
"You can't eat money"

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: December 18, 2021, 08:28:04 am »

Emotional Intelligence is gaining understanding and control over emotions - I think that supports the idea that emotions can be subject to intelligence, just as emotions can override intelligent behavior; in this sense, they "counter" each other.

I'm using, of course, "intelligence" here to mean the capacity for understanding the world and making decisions.  Emotion does help make decisions, but they aren't based on understanding, they are based mostly on reflex responses.  This is my argument why emotion counters intelligence: one is based on understanding, one is based on something other than understanding.

I'm curious about the idea that intelligence arises from emotion; I'm fairly certain that at least one type of intelligence doesn't require any emotion at all: the intelligence used for memory recall, optimization problems, sorting, proofs, computation, and the like.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: December 18, 2021, 10:18:33 am »

You described self-control, one could lack self control yet have deep insights into oneself's and others mental states and intents. And vice versa, one can be a disciplined brute.

Personally I think the propensity to split everything into neat dichotomies is deeply emotionally appealling, even if it feels like rational thought.
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: December 20, 2021, 09:50:29 am »

Okay, I have an ethics question.

What if we reanimated Ronald Reagan, just so we could give John Hinckley Jr. another crack at it?

Edit: It wouldn't be murder, as he's already dead, and Hinckley has already served time for attempted murder, so he can't go through that again.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 10:42:06 am by Iduno »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: December 20, 2021, 10:07:46 am »

What we would want to avoid at all cost is make him a martyr again...If we assume that yankees aren't inherently more stupid, it's the only explanation why people didn't chant the witcher is dead: martyrdom.

From an ethical standpoint though, you'd want to clone and factory meat him, sell 'em as punching bags, hell breed 'em such that they have more nerve ends that can hurt.
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: December 20, 2021, 10:38:08 am »

What if we reanimated Ronald Reagan, just so we could give John Hinckley Jr. another crack at it?
Why don't you just ask John Hinckley on his YouTube channel?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: December 20, 2021, 10:46:49 am »

Okay, I have an ethics question.

Ah, but what if John missed Ronald?  Personally, I could live with that, but could you?

Note: President Reagan served two terms, so unfortunately Zombie Reagan might not be eligible to save us from hyperinflation and crippling foreign debt.
Hm, but what if we treat Zombie Reagan as a new entity, with President Reagan's death date as Zombie Reagan's birthdate? I approve of this plan!
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 636