Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687304 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Chinese plastic organs?]
« Reply #885 on: November 08, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »

I was wondering how wide an image I could post before people would have to start scrolling over to see the whole thing. Anybody happen to know?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 08, 2014, 09:16:23 pm »

I think it depends on people's screen size.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 08, 2014, 09:19:49 pm »

Or lower, for the very unfortunate. Or people with their browser resized down a bit, I guess.

800 is usually a good ballpark, though... you can probably go up to around 1k or so, honestly. Just... not much beyond that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 08, 2014, 09:34:34 pm »

Alright, thanks. I'll go with 800.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 23, 2014, 12:14:05 pm »

So, I think my headphones are finally at the stage were I can't use them anymore.
I'm thinking of asking for a headset for christmas, since it is almost coming.
They should probably be able to stand a lot of stress and preferably have a mic, and be less than $30.
Any ideas?
I think these look pretty good. Know anything about them?
Dayum, that looked better than I expected for less than $30 dollars. Can't speak for the quality of the sound without actually testing it, but the details including "well defined trebles" seems better than nothing at least. Sound quality probably isn't a huge deal for you if you aren't an audiophile anyway. Headset looks sturdy enough.

If you're cool with the design and everything, and that looks like the best option from everything else you looked at, yeah, go with that if you want.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 23, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »

Those look pretty sweet. Aaaalmost a shame that the ones I have now (Logitech headset) seem to be indestructible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 27, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »

Can anybody here recommend a good but not too philosophical German sci-fi book? Fantasy is also acceptable.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 27, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »

Can anybody here recommend a good but not too philosophical German sci-fi book? Fantasy is also acceptable.

I just checked my entire book collection, and all the good sci-fi and fantasy books here are apparently translated from english. Does it have to be of german origin or will translated copies of english books do? Because all the good english books are being translated all the time, so you'll find them in german too.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 27, 2014, 03:07:28 pm »

I just checked my entire book collection, and all the good sci-fi and fantasy books here are apparently translated from english. Does it have to be of german origin or will translated copies of english books do? Because all the good english books are being translated all the time, so you'll find them in german too.
I just wondered if there's something specifically German that I might read - I can find an English book by myself, after all.

Actually, an English book translated into German might be even better, because then I can get both versions and read them synchronously in difficult places.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 27, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »

Then look into Asimov and Lem! (Especially Lem - he's not too well-known, but still awesome).
I'm afraid there's very little German sci-fi - the genre never quite took hold over here.

If you need a quick and entertaining read in German, may I suggest Heine's Wintermärchen? It's quite old, but the language is modern - and there's tons of jokes about the Prussians in there :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 27, 2014, 03:45:29 pm »

Then look into Asimov and Lem! (Especially Lem - he's not too well-known, but still awesome).
I'm afraid there's very little German sci-fi - the genre never quite took hold over here.

If you need a quick and entertaining read in German, may I suggest Heine's Wintermärchen? It's quite old, but the language is modern - and there's tons of jokes about the Prussians in there :D
Lem is best sci-fi writer. But he's very popular in Russia/was very popular in the USSR - I have 11 volumes of his works on my shelf right now, sci-fi and not. I can pretty much recite him by heart now.

Heine, though, I'll look into. Thanks for that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 29, 2014, 03:30:42 am »

Hey guys, what is/are the difference/s between a suburb and a neighbourhood?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 29, 2014, 03:37:06 am »

The only German stuff I ever read was the Perry Rhodan books from the 1960's. They were fun, but I was about 15 at the time. Schlocky 50's style sci fi but with lots of empire building / mass space wars / epicness. The kind of books where they fight Soviets on Venus and almost get eaten by dinosaurs and end up overthrowing a galactic empire and founding a detailed space empire, with lots of tech descriptions and humans reverse-engineering massive space fleets from alien tech.

The only thing is, I read up to about book 50 and the later ones were hard to come by in English. This was released as a series of short pulp novels in German, and they're apparently up to book 2600. But reading the first bit is probably enough. The series had numerous authors, not just one, and the later stuff starts to sound really trippy.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:44:12 am by Reelya »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 29, 2014, 04:07:37 am »

Hey guys, what is/are the difference/s between a suburb and a neighbourhood?
I don't know if there's a technical definition, but a neighbourhood is just an area that people live where (in theory) they know each other i.e. they're neighbours (so typically it's a small area).  I'm not sure what determines the boundaries of a neighbourhood, where one ends and another begins; I'd guess that's down to the perceptions of the people living there.

A suburb is a primarily residential area on the outskirts of a city.  Stereotypically it's a distinct community from the city itself (might even have its own political identity and governance, I'm not sure).

A suburb will typically contain one or more neighbourhoods, but not all neighbourhoods are suburban.

Although according to Google, in Australian English (which I think applies where you are?) they've more or less become synonyms. (misleading/wrong)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:36:14 am by Biowraith »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 29, 2014, 04:10:44 am »

In most English-speaking regions, suburban areas are defined in contrast to central or inner city areas, but in Australian English, "suburb" has become largely synonymous with "neighborhood".

This sentence has caused some confusion. We don't call things both suburbs and neighborhoods interchangeably in Australia. We use "suburb" to refer to any legally named subdivision of a city whether it's near the center or not, whereas American English only refers to the outliers as suburbs, using neighborhood for the inner city areas.

So suburb here is synonymous with what other people call a neighborhood. We might break that down though, the news might refer to "the crime problem in inner city suburbs" or "disadvantaged youth in outlying suburbs". Though "suburb" still has the connotation of satellite areas: if you say "out in the suburbs ..." or "I grew up in the suburbs" people clearly know you are not talking about the inner city.

Actually, if we do use "neighborhood" it's very different. Suburbs are legal entities with set boundaries, a postcode, a local council (though sometimes a council might run more than 1 suburb), whereas the usage of "neighborhood" in Australian English has no definition, it usually means the immediate informal vicinity of some street, park, landmark etc. I've never heard someone use it to refer to an entire suburb.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:40:30 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 637