Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 677316 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2670 on: September 23, 2016, 03:02:47 am »

Ok here is another question

I saw in an autopsy... That the person doing it poured a spoon of course salt (or what looked like salt) into a dead guy's mouth.

The guy was killed by Arsenic poisoning if this matters (and had stab wounds that very possible were created post-mortem)

---

My theory?

Silver Nitrate

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have to ask because after delving into criminal history enough...

The whole "Innocent until proven guilty" and all that... seems extremely recent...

The idea of putting the accused on a unbiased ground seems unheard of after what I've read through.

Seriously what changed that took us from "Person accused of a crime has to overwhelmingly prove they are innocent" to "A person has to prove that they reasonably didn't commit a crime"? What hit those scales so hard?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:38:31 am by Neonivek »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: September 23, 2016, 04:19:51 am »

Who is PlumpHelmetPunk?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: September 23, 2016, 04:45:18 am »

I think that even if the formal "innocent until proven guilty" thing is recent, the basic idea is old. You need to prove that someone committed a crime, you can't just execute anyone who doesn't have an alibi.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: September 23, 2016, 05:18:15 am »

Seriously what changed that took us from "Person accused of a crime has to overwhelmingly prove they are innocent" to "A person has to prove that they reasonably didn't commit a crime"? What hit those scales so hard?
The inquisition?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: September 23, 2016, 05:40:05 am »

Any home remedies for soothing a sore throat?  Preferably one that allows my irritated vocal chords to start working again so I can stop sounding like a villain in a Wes Craven movie.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: September 23, 2016, 05:49:33 am »

Any home remedies for soothing a sore throat?  Preferably one that allows my irritated vocal chords to start working again so I can stop sounding like a villain in a Wes Craven movie.

Try some to warm up some milk and put some honey into it. I know it works like a charm with natural honey, don't know about the store-bought stuff. I hate to sound like some organic-food-only snob, it's just in my family we have a stock of it.

EDIT: Also, as a more readily available option, hot tea with some sugar helps to soothe a sore throat.
A man typing now has one, so I'm actually drinking a big-ass mug of each every day, evening and morning, respectively.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:03:46 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: September 23, 2016, 06:18:52 am »

At least in terms of presumption of innocence as we know it, it was indeed the Inquisition that established this standard. Civil and common law adopted it afterwards, which proceeded to then cover a good chunk of the world during the age of imperialism.
Who is PlumpHelmetPunk?
PHP is one of those fancy fellows who were at one time called Let's Players, and he's great. Also does professional photography, and should do more hitbox streams because I am cold and dead without them. His house burned down some months ago because his neighbors are idiots and set an entire forest on fire. I believe his forum account is A Dwarven Smokeologist, not used very much. Also goes by Amnesiac Jack in some places. Has the voice of a particularly rugged noir detective, but doesn't talk about dames as much.
I think that even if the formal "innocent until proven guilty" thing is recent, the basic idea is old. You need to prove that someone committed a crime, you can't just execute anyone who doesn't have an alibi.
This is only technically true. Many legal systems did have standards beyond mob execution, but for most of history that standard was that you needed a confession. And you were going to get a confession whether the accused was guilty or not, because torture and other such incentives were the game of the day. You might want to check out the stories of Judge Dee, who lived in China at a time where any confession not obtained through torture was considered suspect, because why would anybody confess their crime otherwise?

It was all very much like the Dominion from Star Trek, where the purpose of trial and judgement was more about the satisfaction of the public mood and the supremacy of the wisdom of the state than restitution to victims or anything about the modern idea of justice. Though one could argue that even trials today are only ultimately about that...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: September 23, 2016, 08:01:34 am »

The inquisition?
Yep, the Spanish Inquisition, ironically. Bet you didn't expect that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: September 23, 2016, 02:45:05 pm »

After disabling CCortana, the latest windows update seems to have reenabled it and I don't want that. They also seem to have changed/disabled the way to turn it off.

Anyone know how to disable it now?
Besides not having 10?
Dig through control panel or the registry most likely. Or that settings menu.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: September 23, 2016, 04:24:52 pm »

Like, internet search, or both internet and file search?
The latter sounds a bit dumb but I wouldn't be surprised.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: September 23, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »

They laughed at me when I refused to be pulled past 8.1. They said, "[MSH], come on, Windows 10 is so better designed, Microsoft fixed what was wrong with 8!"

And now you see. You all see, and I...laugh. Windows 8 may be shit, but at least I don't have to ask a Halo character for permission to find my registry files.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: September 23, 2016, 05:18:54 pm »

Is this the IRC channel still in use? I think it is I just want to be certain.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: September 23, 2016, 05:20:46 pm »

Is this the IRC channel still in use? I think it is I just want to be certain.

Is the one I use (well, idle on and never pay attention to), and afaik the latest one to pop up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: September 23, 2016, 05:58:05 pm »

There's a little search bar (or was) in 10 that had Cortana integrated that was next to the start button. You used to be able to disable Cortana, and use it to quickly find programs without internet use.
Wait, what? On my Windows 10 Cortana is still disabled just fine despite keeping it updated (just like it's been since I installed Windows 10 and turned it off).

Note: If you see the application "Cortana" running in your task manager that doesn't actually mean Cortana is really running, since the basic SearchUI.exe task is under the banner of the Cortana application, and as such in the task manager it will still show as running even if it's really disabled and just the basic search UI is still running.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: September 23, 2016, 06:02:49 pm »

There's a little search bar (or was) in 10 that had Cortana integrated that was next to the start button. You used to be able to disable Cortana, and use it to quickly find programs without internet use.
Wait, what? On my Windows 10 Cortana is still disabled just fine despite keeping it updated (just like it's been since I installed Windows 10 and turned it off).
Ditto
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 636