Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667019 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2715 on: October 05, 2016, 06:23:29 am »

So... there is a term called "Hot" which describes kind of how illegal something is.

Well not so much how illegal it is but how much people would be willing to legally defend it. or rather how dangerous it is to take, own, and/or sell.

So a expensive painting is often so hot that it cannot be sold (usually only blackmailed back) because no one would buy it.

---

Is there a term of how dangerous something is to take, own, and sell in terms of being defended by illegal means? Or is that also hot?

Watching a show where these guys stole a million from a gun racketeer... Yet I was just sitting there going "I wouldn't have taken the money, its too hot"

----

Second question

Are strip clubs are awful as they are depicted in media?

Loud with booming (and often awful music), poor lighting, and often the performers look really bored with a distant look in their eyes.

----

Third

Why is vapid disinterest even remotely sexy?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:56:43 am by Neonivek »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: October 05, 2016, 08:14:13 am »

Edit: What does "gjestelisteplass" mean? I believe it's Norwegian. I'm guessing it's something obscene, but who knows.

Never mind that, what the FUCK is your avatar a thing of? It spooks me out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2717 on: October 05, 2016, 09:17:24 am »

It's a neural network's attempt to animate pictures of babies.

And gjestelistplass apparently means guest list space.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: October 05, 2016, 09:41:11 am »

Sex is in part a power game, resistance (here: disinterest) is something to be overcome, partners need to be 'conquered'... It makes perfecct sense, really. Also goes on to show that many rapey bits of our culture come from deeply ingrained memes and can't simply be wished away.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: October 05, 2016, 09:43:46 am »

Sex is in part a power game, resistance (here: disinterest) is something to be overcome, partners need to be 'conquered'... It makes perfecct sense, really. Also goes on to show that many rapey bits of our culture come from deeply ingrained memes and can't simply be wished away.

Sex is a power game? Man I've been playing it wrong all my life, I thought it was a co-op mode.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: October 05, 2016, 10:25:55 am »

Read closely:
in part
Did you really think that somethinng as widespread as interest in BDSM just pops out of thin air?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: October 05, 2016, 12:59:45 pm »

Read closely:
in part
Did you really think that somethinng as widespread as interest in BDSM just pops out of thin air?
I would suggest formulating it as "sex can be a power game", or "sex often is a power game", or "sex is a power game to some people", because "sex is in part a power game" implies that there's a powergamey aspect to anything sexual, which is a dubious statement.

Also I am not sure why would you lump the whole adversarial disinterest conquest thing with BDSM. Those seem to be entirely different types of power game to me (though they may intersect).
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: October 05, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »

Are there really relationships which have no aspect of powergaming?
I get the feeling that it's part of even "normal" (bleh) relationships.  A respectful and gentle back-and-forth between peers.
I think that relationships that don't have that at all, are either imbalanced to an absolute extreme... or literally fairy tales.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: October 05, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »

Sure there are, at least from time to time. Some folks just don't really have much need for that sort of jockeying, even in play. Definitely fairly rare, though. We get a hell of a lot of training throughout life that that sort of thing is how things are supposed to be, and people that manage to be mostly unaffected by that are... not common.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: October 05, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »

Are there really relationships which have no aspect of powergaming?
I get the feeling that it's part of even "normal" (bleh) relationships.  A respectful and gentle back-and-forth between peers.
Maybe, maybe not, depending on what you consider a relationship, but were we talking about relationships? Because I kinda wasn't, at least not in that sense.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: October 05, 2016, 01:30:30 pm »

You know I am not referring to like... Only when having sex or if the person is the top or not.

There just seems to be an idea of Vapid disinterest as attractive somehow...

But it always comes off to me as a type of unattractive boredom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: October 05, 2016, 01:43:02 pm »

Sure there are, at least from time to time. Some folks just don't really have much need for that sort of jockeying, even in play. Definitely fairly rare, though. We get a hell of a lot of training throughout life that that sort of thing is how things are supposed to be, and people that manage to be mostly unaffected by that are... not common.
But have you not heard that "Love is a battlefield"? :P
As is friendship, in a generous way.  Where if you don't care enough to at least try in the tussle, then...  [unthinkable]

But maybe you're right.  I still have my brother, after incredible difficulties, so surely some people find romantic partners with a similarly invincible bond.

You know I am not referring to like... Only when having sex or if the person is the top or not.

There just seems to be an idea of Vapid disinterest as attractive somehow...

But it always comes off to me as a type of unattractive boredom.
It was already explained, but here's my take.
Is it really vapid?  If so then sure, there's no draw.  But it's hard to gauge vapid disinterest than any other kind :P
The possibility is that it's disinterest from having *too much* to offer...  And people are (generally) attracted to those of a higher station, so someone who appears to be "slumming it" is naturally attractive.  Particularly since they're *here*, which implies that they're looking for someone below their station, someone like you.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: October 06, 2016, 05:14:02 am »

I recently registered on Reddit, but here's problem. It looks like i can't leave comments on /dwarffortress/ subreddit. When i logged-in, i can see my posted comment, but when i logout there's no comment in the post (and that means it's invisible for everyone, expect my profile). It's because Reddit is buggy or i need to wait one week before i can post/comment?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: October 06, 2016, 08:29:19 am »

I recently registered on Reddit, but here's problem. It looks like i can't leave comments on /dwarffortress/ subreddit. When i logged-in, i can see my posted comment, but when i logout there's no comment in the post (and that means it's invisible for everyone, expect my profile). It's because Reddit is buggy or i need to wait one week before i can post/comment?
It looks like you've been shadowbanned for some reason, as far as I can tell. Contact the admins?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: October 06, 2016, 09:03:51 am »

Well, i sent message to /dwarffortress/, i'm waiting for their answer.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 635