Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676982 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3405 on: February 17, 2017, 04:20:41 pm »

Ok difficult question...

So the Romanov family of Russia was murdered during an uprising...

Yet this isn't unusual in history and some of the time it is completely deserved (One of the Roman Military rebellions was created because the current ruler was entirely mad... Yet unlike a LOT of rebellions... They didn't chose to rule themselves and instead gave the right of rulership to essentially another candidate)

Nor is it unusual that it is completely undeserved with rulers who basically bleed out the wazoo for their people but their problems running so deep that they basically couldn't do anything for them.

Nor is it unusual that it is kind of a middle ground... Where the rulership is just completely ineffectual as they live in luxury as everyone around them rots.

So... How much did they deserve or not deserve it? Well in a broad term (I know... no one deserves it)... Or I guess it could be "How much was it karmic?"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:22:33 pm by Neonivek »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: February 17, 2017, 04:54:16 pm »

You're asking the wrong question, not a difficult one.

Whether or not they deserved it is a thing one can decide for themselves after they've assessed the objective facts (which I encourage you to seek).

One thing I can tell you, should they be left alive, we wouldn't end our civil war in late twenties of XXth century. And civil war is always a great turmoil - moreso in the context of recent restructuring of Europe in WWI.
So I really stand undecided. On one hand, taking a family to the basement and shooting them in cold blood is appalling. Russian Orthodox church canonised Nicholas II and his family as martyrs.
On the other hand lies a plethora of speculations, good and bad ones. But a world as we know it would be different were they alive.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:47:41 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 17, 2017, 05:06:23 pm »

I'm not a big fan of chocolate in general, but coconut-filled chocolates are basically equivalent to genocide.
You take that back!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 17, 2017, 05:34:48 pm »

I'm not a big fan of chocolate in general, but coconut-filled chocolates are basically equivalent to genocide.
You take that back!
You're right, humanity hasn't been around long enough, when we meet aliens it might turn out there are acceptable forms of genocide.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 18, 2017, 10:48:51 pm »

Ok asked the anime thread and I didn't get an answer (and stupid me... I might end up needing to ask what half-doors are used for again... because I can never remember and I am a burden on everyone!)

In Japanese Spiritualism... What does spirit purification do?

Anime seems... inconsistent on what it does exactly... sometimes depicting it as straight up bad.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: February 18, 2017, 11:03:49 pm »

Good luck. I've looked up actual scholars to try and get a grasp on Shinto and Japanese folklore because of how sparse Wikipedia was, and it's still the most slippery and incomprehensible thing.

That's eastern religion for you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: February 18, 2017, 11:54:34 pm »

Good luck. I've looked up actual scholars to try and get a grasp on Shinto and Japanese folklore because of how sparse Wikipedia was, and it's still the most slippery and incomprehensible thing.

its because its not a real religion but folk tradition that's been forcibly centralized. its like reforming a religion in CK2 but in real life.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: February 19, 2017, 01:05:18 am »

its because its not a real religion but folk tradition that's been forcibly centralized. its like reforming a religion in CK2 but in real life.
Terrible but with some nice bonuses if you survive to the end with your favored religion still the majority one in the land?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: February 19, 2017, 06:37:08 am »

its because its not a real religion but folk tradition that's been forcibly centralized.
... doesn't that describe most religions in human history? Shanghaied folk tradition is, well. Tradition. For religions, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: February 19, 2017, 11:24:24 am »

its because its not a real religion but folk tradition that's been forcibly centralized.
... doesn't that describe most religions in human history? Shanghaied folk tradition is, well. Tradition. For religions, heh.
kind of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Shinto is the specific thing with Shinto though. its different from what happened in other places. it was deliberately artificially constructed from earlier traditions as a tool of the state.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3415 on: February 20, 2017, 12:10:50 pm »

If someone accurately fires a rifle at you from 450 yards away, what would reach you first, the bullet or the sound of the gunshot?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: February 20, 2017, 12:17:19 pm »

The bullet.  That's the case even at long range, after a bullet has experienced considerable drag forces.
And even if you're using an assault rifle rather than a bolt-action sniper rifle.  AK47 muzzle velocity is 716m/s, speed of sound is 340m/s.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 20, 2017, 12:22:10 pm »

Worth noting though is that both are fast enough that the delay at that range between the bullet hitting the wall or whatever next to you and the report from the rifle would be less than half a second. Probably imperceptible to most people.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:23:48 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: February 20, 2017, 01:07:30 pm »

It does mean that getting shot in the head would be silent from your perspective, though. At best, you'd see the muzzle flash if you're really paying attention.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: February 20, 2017, 01:49:08 pm »

If someone accurately fires a rifle at you from 450 yards away, what would reach you first, the bullet or the sound of the gunshot?
Unless the rifle ammo is subsonic, the bullet will.

450 yard is around 400 metres. Pretty much all calibres are going to still be supersonic at that distance.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 636