Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667095 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5055 on: May 20, 2019, 02:02:49 pm »

So... Someone who actually attended a school during their lifetime and learned this stuff: How/why does (2a+2b)ab = 2ab(a+b)? Google is being incredibly unhelpful in turning up resources that explain the reasoning, and if it's an obvious answer I'm too tired after coughing my way through the day to grasp it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: May 20, 2019, 02:06:02 pm »

Forget the ab outside the parentheses for a moment. Then it's basically just (2a+2b)=2(a+b).

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: May 21, 2019, 03:26:54 am »

The "why" of it is referred to as the distributive property over addition, if that helps.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: May 21, 2019, 04:09:00 am »

If I wanted to start a Drunk Fortress turn after all ths time, would I be better off starting a new game/world or trying to load the last old save I can find?       
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: May 21, 2019, 05:22:04 am »

Last save appears to be made in DF 0.43.05, if the DFFD listing is correct. Please interject if I'm wrong, but the current version (0.44.12) has nothing new that you'd have to generate a new world for.

...unless, of course, the initial world was generated in DF 0.40.24 or earlier, in which case, may as well generate a new world. (If there is no poetry/music/instruments/whatever in the world, then it came from 0.40.24 or earlier)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: May 27, 2019, 04:46:19 am »

Oh, thanks! I forgot entirely about making this post, haha.

In a related random question: since I'm already getting kinda drunk, should I go all-in and do another Drunk Fortress turn, finishing the year I only got partway through last time?!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: May 27, 2019, 04:58:33 am »

6.) (Fort Optional) If you completed the year, instate one rule to be followed by future overseers of the same fort; they will all need to drink when this rule is violated or happened upon. Every consecutive rule lasts until the fort collapses--reclaims don't currently count for cumulative rules of past forts.
Yes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: May 27, 2019, 06:04:09 am »

Not entirely sure what you're getting at, but that's good enough for me. Thanks fam.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: May 27, 2019, 10:07:14 am »

Related question! So, I've technically finished that year in Drunk Fortress, but I am still drunk, awake and well supplied with booze.
What do? Hand over to the next poor sod, or press on and try to finish another year? This is technically my second turn, after all.
Also, the fort as it now stands is... a disaster. Only one resident is still alive.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: May 27, 2019, 10:52:20 am »

Hand it over to the next poor sod. You've finished the year, so according to rule 6, you get to "instate one rule to be followed by future overseers of the same fort".

Also, you've overshot your year slightly. I won't hold it against you, but for future overseers:

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: June 06, 2019, 12:47:17 pm »

I feel like a Hero/Civic generation. I hate how fluffy the terminology is.

Also,
In 2000, the two authors published Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation. This work discussed the personality of the Millennial Generation, whose oldest members were described as the high school graduating class of the year 2000...They described them as less sexually charged and as ushering in a new sexual modesty, with increasing belief that sex should be saved for marriage and a return to conservative family values. They predicted that over the following decade, Millennials would transform what it means to be young. According to the authors, Millennials could emerge as the next "Great Generation". The book was described as an optimistic, feel-good book for the parents of the Millennial Generation, predominantly the Baby Boomers.
lul

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: June 06, 2019, 01:01:55 pm »

I feel like a Hero/Civic generation. I hate how fluffy the terminology is.

Also,
In 2000, the two authors published Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation. This work discussed the personality of the Millennial Generation, whose oldest members were described as the high school graduating class of the year 2000...They described them as less sexually charged and as ushering in a new sexual modesty, with increasing belief that sex should be saved for marriage and a return to conservative family values. They predicted that over the following decade, Millennials would transform what it means to be young. According to the authors, Millennials could emerge as the next "Great Generation". The book was described as an optimistic, feel-good book for the parents of the Millennial Generation, predominantly the Baby Boomers.
lul

Shit. Why didn't I think of writing a book of reassuring lies for Boomers? Quick, someone invent the suicide booth so I can add "they're bringing back payphones for a dime again, just like the good old days."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: June 07, 2019, 01:29:40 am »

Well, we kinda ARE a crisis generation;

Seen the climatological clusterfuck the boomers left us?
Seen the epic culture battle we are having with them over it?

Yeah.

(Also, selling comforting lies to baby boomer parents (1)has been a thing for quite awhile now.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:35:29 am by wierd »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: June 10, 2019, 06:32:34 am »

Nut up and bang the object of your affections silly, silly.   
Or at least, y'know, ask them to accompany you on a romantic excursion of some kind.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: June 10, 2019, 06:36:31 am »

Nut up and bang the object of your affections silly, silly.   
Or at least, y'know, ask them to accompany you on a romantic excursion of some kind.
This really only works if that happens to be an option. Sometimes it isn't. Such as in the case of someone who has already rejected you or is romantically involved with someone else.

The feelings remain, but the option to do anything pleasant with them is gone.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 635