Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 674415 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5415 on: November 25, 2019, 05:37:36 am »

that doesnt fit with some of the episodes though, like the "snow" episode.  It was overtly stated that the snowflake shaped mushi are normally completely harmless, but can become harmful to living things in large numbers, and in this case, an abnormally large number of them had fallen that winter.  Etc.

This straight up means that "sufficient numbers" is indeed  factor, and means instances of people being burned by being touched by unimpacted persons should be fairly common in the right geographical areas.  etc...

again, comparisons with germanic/scandanavian volva-- people who know{and can see} the supernatural, being consulted when sufficiently unusual things happen, because they happen often enough.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: November 25, 2019, 07:27:03 am »

Sorry but I'm watching that snow episode right now and it straight up contradicts many of the things you're saying. I'm pretty sure it's the right one since it's episode 3 of season 2, which is a couple of episodes after the one about the golden saki.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Point being: enough of your specific points are off to make any analysis based on that meaningless.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:34:49 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: November 25, 2019, 07:33:38 am »

(shrug)

It was more than 4 years ago that I watch these.  My memory is increasingly not as good as it was. :(

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: November 25, 2019, 07:36:01 am »

He said he watching it with subtitles, it could have been a poorly translated one and the wrong info because the translation was bad.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:29 am »

Maybe. I'm watching the official simulcast version though, and the bit he watched aired in 2014 so bad fansubs aren't so common for that era, since subbers can just steal the simulcast subs if they aren't talented.

They have to make an extra special effort to do bad translations these days, due to having official subs available to steal on day one. I'm not sure about the translation "mushi men", because even the simulcast just says "mushishi" and that is the damn title of the show so there's no reason to fuck with that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:44:23 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: November 25, 2019, 07:52:16 am »

Perhaps they tried to translate the (sometimes not so great) chinese subtitles on a chinese disc?
That happens some times with "zero day" fansubs.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: November 25, 2019, 07:52:50 am »

I don't know I've seen some pretty shit subtitles on shows recently, some of them are like they just smack the keyboard randomly a few time and called it good, or they're just littered with misspelled words, or they skip huge portions of dialog.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: November 25, 2019, 07:57:36 am »

Skipped dialog I have DEFINITELY seen.  I can somewhat muddle through what was ACTUALLY said, (and sometimes I suspect they "fail" (ahem) to translate it because it would make US Censors sad pandas to have that kind of thing spelled out for them. LOL) but sometimes it's so intimately Japanese that I cant catch it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: November 25, 2019, 08:14:31 am »

I've also seen where they translated things differently because they wouldn't make sense to anyone outside of Japan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:54 am »

The awful Swedish translation of A Song of Ice and Fire had some really, really awful translations. Like translating Wildlings, the people, to "(wandering-)raiders", the occupation. Or even worse, translating "shadowcat" to "puma". Yes, literally puma. They translated a compound word consisting of two English words to a word that, while used in Swedish for cougars, have absolutely no connection to the Swedish language (and probably comes there from Spanish or even originally Indian languages) and which's real life counterpart has no apparent thematic connections to what GRR Martin was describing -- which clearly wasn't a fucking cougar or he would probably have called it a fucking cougar. And they didn't even neutralise it to the Swedish term meaning "mountain lion" which at least would begin to mirror the name being in English to the English reader, let alone try to directly translate it to Swedish directly (like "skuggkatt" or "skugglo" or something). No, they went with "puma".

It's so bad it really upsets me.
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: November 25, 2019, 10:56:31 am »

That's nothing compared to the icelandic Dracula.... it's not even the same book

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: November 25, 2019, 11:26:13 am »

The American English dub of the Ghost Stories anime is, however, by far the best and most accurate version. Even more than the original Japanese!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: November 25, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »

No solid explanation why there isn't such a creature but here are a couple of thoughs on the subject.

1) Boyancy would mess with the construction, at least until the stage it can be effectively anchored in the reefs.

2) Even if we were to assume silk like properties, most fish might be to large/strong to be captured in a web of "normal" thickness. Making a thicker web might be too energy consuming and it will make it easier to spot.

3) Due to their hydrodynamic forms it might be way too easy for most fish to push through the gaps in the web. Kind of like a needle going through fabric.

Yeah, I was coming up with "the fluid the ocean is made of is somewhat more dense than the fluid air is." In addition to #1 above, it would probably take more time and energy to "jump" from one anchor point to the next while securing the web, allowing for more imperfections.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: November 25, 2019, 11:36:04 pm »

A while ago, I heard that Samsung were using the front camera as a substitute for the light sensor on phones that didn't have light sensors.
How do you determine the brightness of something using a camera?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: November 26, 2019, 08:13:54 am »

No clue :P

Like, I know they do -- cameras have to take in light to make pictures or record to begin with -- and I know plenty cameras these days have a thing where they (by default, anyway) automatically adjust stuff based on light level, so clearly whatever mechanism is needed is in the device in question. But the actual mechanics involved in doing so and how they're being applied to a camera specifically rather than a more dedicated light sensor, I got no idea. Probably comparing relative color brightness to other stuff they're taking in and going from there, but I don't actually know, so...

Google suggests it's something called TTL (through the lens) Metering for most cameras nowadays. Something about measuring the light as it comes in to determine brightness levels.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 636