Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 666776 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6630 on: December 02, 2020, 08:19:04 pm »

That sounds awful, but it might depend on the situation.  Lategame scenarios can be fascinating because they're often solvable puzzles.  My dad got me a book of such puzzles.  At some point the game goes from being too complicated for any computer, to being on par with a sudoku.  Once I understood that, I kinda liked the lategame more than the early game. 

Vague fighting over the center was frustrating because I had no plan for victory other than hoping to spot an opportunity to gain a material advantage, then quickly trade my way to the late game where I could actually start to play my strengths.  I didn't win often, but I did force some stalemates.

That said, he ought to accept your concession unless he's tutoring you.

Also I think Checkers helped me understand the basic flow of Chess, very early on.  It's all about scanning the near possibility space to avoid losing pieces, while being forced to advance.  Having pieces cover each other, though the multicapture rule makes it a little reversed from Chess.  Underrated game IMHO, even though it's been solved.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: December 02, 2020, 08:25:37 pm »

Suppose I wanted to test a computer that's just a bare motherboard, PSU, and SSD on a table, Druaga1 style. Any precautions I should take to avoid shorting anything out?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: December 02, 2020, 08:40:20 pm »

When my brother and I play chess, he does not let me concede, even though he and I both know I’ll lose

He won't have any choice if you just walk away from the table. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: December 02, 2020, 10:06:47 pm »

Depending on the maturity of your brother, the suggestion Rolan gave is great. Just placing 6-8 pieces in a late-game scenario and trying to figure out the best way to end it and win could be fun if they like puzzles.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: December 04, 2020, 07:11:53 am »

One night, I moved the lid of my friend's (?) laptop to see what he was looking at, and he warned me that I shouldn't manhandle (is it still "man-" if you're nonbinary?) the lid like I apparently did. As someone whose laptops have been decently sturdy throughout, I'm a little confused. Are there really laptops that just break if you move the lid too hard?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: December 04, 2020, 08:01:12 am »

There's definitely some that are flimsier than is comforting, at least. Beyond that, even with sturdy ones there's not really a good reason to add more wear and tear than necessary, yeah? Be gentle with months worth of groceries in electronics.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: December 04, 2020, 08:23:21 am »

The move to make them thinner and thinner, means there cannot be metal inside the hinge mechanism.

Caveat emptor.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: December 04, 2020, 08:28:23 am »

I've definitely encountered laptops that were flimsy enough that moving their lids from the position they were used to was a risky move.   
Also yeah, I believe "manhandle" is used regardless of the sex/gender of the person accused of doing it.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: December 04, 2020, 05:03:30 pm »

Gonna need some help from the Aussies on this one...

I am currently spitting rage at the YouTube and Google search functions because they are being exceedingly unhelpful in turning up the "cooking show" skit where an Australian fellow shows how to make gỏi cuốn, Vietnamese spring rolls... And which more commonly-found items can be used as substitutes for the exotic Vietnamese ingredients such as "coriander" and "carrots". Eventually ending up with a vegemite sandwich and calling it a spring roll.

I clearly need to search for the thing by name if I don't want an endless list of either legit recipes or utterly unrelated comedy shows. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that name may be.

EDIT: Found it... That took entirely too long. Only came up when I made a guess and trimmed youtube's search results to only show videos under 4 minutes. First thing on the list was "What if meat eaters acted like vegans" which has absolutely nothing to do with Australia or spring rolls, but hey... Algorithm!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: December 05, 2020, 06:41:38 am »

Does the idea of cable management exist in bikes? Is it as important to bike people as it is in computers to computer people, to the point that it's the first thing people roast your stuff for?

Some backstory: I got this bike basket that's supposed to clip on to the handlebars, and I tried it. It turns out that if anything pushes on the shifter cables, it will screw up the ability of the bike to shift gears, and it just gets "stuck" on some gears, especially when shifting up. I've removed it for the time being. Now I'm wondering if people actually do manage the cables on their bikes like people do for PCs. I know it's done to some extent (look at any working bike, and its cables are usually tied to the frame somehow), but is there, like, some community of bike enthusiasts that are really particular about cable management?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 06:45:05 am by methylatedspirit »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: December 05, 2020, 05:56:59 pm »

Why does drinking milk or water make me more thirsty instead of quenching my thirst? (I drink freshwater, obviously, not saltwater)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: December 05, 2020, 06:23:08 pm »

Either you're a silicon-based alien lifeform which doesn't drink water, or having something to drink reminds you that you're thirsty. If you're otherwise distracted, you might not notice, right?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: December 05, 2020, 06:30:14 pm »

Either you're a silicon-based alien lifeform which doesn't drink water, or having something to drink reminds you that you're thirsty. If you're otherwise distracted, you might not notice, right?
Right, so I should just drink more throughout the day. Thank you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: December 05, 2020, 07:56:44 pm »

If you're thirsty, drink. That's the advice I give you. :P

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: December 05, 2020, 08:17:47 pm »

If you're thirsty, drink. That's the advice I give you. :P
that’s what I do, sometimes it makes the thirst worse though, not better
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 635