Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 666769 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6645 on: December 05, 2020, 09:38:52 pm »

If you drink water even when you're not thirsty, you will be less likely to become thirsty.
More water beyond merely quenching your thirst is better for you than only drinking the minimum for quenching.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: December 05, 2020, 09:42:37 pm »

There comes a point when you’ll just pee out any water your body seems superfluous.

I personally find milk makes me feel thirsty because it coats my throat, so I need to drink something else to get rid of that feeling.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: December 05, 2020, 09:46:43 pm »

Certainly!  And peeing out that extra water helps flush your system of toxins.  You can tell by the color of your pee whether or not you're drinking enough. Look for very light purple color (j/k, very light yellow).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: December 05, 2020, 10:15:47 pm »

be careful, you can in fact drink too much water.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318619

Granted, you need to be belting back the hydro pretty hard to do that, but people have in fact done it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: December 05, 2020, 10:20:56 pm »

Generally a better bet to just do what your body is telling you to, rather than try to compensate.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: December 06, 2020, 01:59:13 am »

Sometimes (especially when I'm sick) drinking water seems to result in making my mouth more dry a few minutes later. Urine is clear, like it's gone straight through me. Drinking soda doesn't have this issue.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:00:52 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: December 06, 2020, 07:48:26 am »

Is there a good resource out there about sexuality and gender? My brain tells me that I've covered all the major parts, but I figured that I need something more in-depth, as well as reference material to make sure my understanding's correct.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: December 06, 2020, 09:52:59 am »

Re: Thirst

Sometimes drinking water can kind of "wake up" the system by making you more aware of your thirst and dehydration, making it seem temporarily worse. Also it takes a short while for newly ingested water to actually get incorporated into the body and hydrate the parts that need it.

To help sate the sensation, instead of just belting the water straight back, make sure the water touches the inner corners of your mouth, potentially even swirl it around a bit, as there are sensors in that area that detect drinking so you can tell your body that yes you are now actually fixing the whole dehydration issue now and it can stop sending those thirst signals thank you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: December 07, 2020, 02:12:18 pm »

Is ordering McDonalds breakfast in the afternoon particularly onerous on the employees?  Like... I picture them having to go into the freezer to retrieve the ingredients, and dethaw them a bit before the final nuking and plating.  I don't mind waiting, but it seems like something I shouldn't do during the lunch or dinner rush.

Not that I should be going for fast food at all these days, but I never learned how to make a proper greasy breakfast.  I don't keep eggs or butter.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: December 07, 2020, 02:21:23 pm »

They will curse you unto the seventh generation for the imposition you place on them with your greaselust.

... more seriously, I'unno. It probably is an imposition, but likely not much more of one than anything special order would be. If you're worried, just don't make the request during busy hours.

Also consider, like. Asking them. Some areas probably have more or less other people doing the same thing, which would change how prepared or unprepared they are for the request!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: December 07, 2020, 02:30:57 pm »

Also consider, like. Asking them.
Oh duh!  Thanks, this is what I was trying to think of.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: December 07, 2020, 02:41:05 pm »

Either you're a silicon-based alien lifeform which doesn't drink water, or having something to drink reminds you that you're thirsty. If you're otherwise distracted, you might not notice, right?
What would a silicon based lifeform’s water equivalent be? If we follow periodic table groups, it would be *checks periodic table* Li2S, or lithium sulfide. Looking this compound up, it cannot exist ink liquid form under Earth’s pressure. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a phase diagram to allow for finding out what pressures it could exist in liquid form in, am copious if any planets have lots of pressure/heat to allow the liquid to exist, gas giants maybe, or maybe it’d be pressured back into solid form. Well this kind of got off track, then this is th3 random questions thread so here

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: December 07, 2020, 03:36:57 pm »

You shouldn't just step down one periodic table row. Lithium is more ready to shed an electron than hydrogen so Li2S is apparently an ionic compound, so it crystallizes into a rigid lattice, which I think means it is not really able to dissolve other compounds because the intermolecular links cannot easily accomodate other molecules being interwoven, so it lacks the main utility of water as a solvent.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: December 08, 2020, 11:58:08 pm »

Am unsure why, but I randomly started thinking about the tooth fairy, how odd it is. Why did people make up this myth? What would a fairy even need human teeth for?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: December 09, 2020, 12:05:40 am »

Without doing any research into the actual origins of the myth, I can share how it felt to me:

Losing one's baby teeth is an unsettling, potentially frightening experience for a young child.  Even now I don't really like remembering the sensation.  Still, it has to happen.  Hence:  A narrative in which this is a positive experience, with a reward for children who are stoic and perform a little reassuring ritual.

Not entirely unlike Christmas, I suppose.  The longest nights of the year are instinctively difficult, and that's when we most need comfort.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 635