Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667073 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6870 on: January 15, 2021, 05:01:31 am »

Seems like the important factor would what columns have the least number of lines of text (while nonzero, AKA blank).  Otherwise the thinness could be practically infinite in most cases, as long as there are at least a few lines to compare to the rest of the strips.

Of course the sheer number of strips to compare to each other would be a computation issue as they get more numerous.  It'd grow roughly with the square of the number of strips, maybe?  Maybe somewhere around the 1.5 power because you don't have to compare each strip to *every* other strip, because that would be duplicating comparisons.  It's 5AM right now it's probably not the 1.5 power.  I guess you could stop checking once you get a match, but you probably want to check every single pair of strips because it's possible to get false matches (if vanishingly likely with multiple lines of text).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: January 15, 2021, 07:06:51 am »

Now that I think of it, I suppose the naive brute-force method, going through all permutations of the set of n columns would grow to infeasible levels before long. That's n pick n, which is n!. I think that's an asymptotic complexity of "Holy fuck". I'm pretty sure n = 100 would take long enough that the entire cumulative computational resources of Earth from the start to the end of human civilization could be used to brute-force those 100 columns for the entire lifespan of the universe, and it still wouldn't be enough to reconstruct the original document.

So I think I've established that it's probably infeasible for any high amount of n. Then again, would it even be theoretically possible to actually solve, given only the shredded remains of what used to be a document? I guess it's like sorting, but you don't really know what order anything goes in until you actually start guessing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:10:19 am by methylatedspirit »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: January 15, 2021, 12:34:07 pm »

Well given that documents are generally not random noise you might be able to apply some heuristics. For one if the strips are thin enough, because text is mostly composed of continuous curves, moving from one vertical strip to the next would not change much of the pattern. So strips that are similar probably go together. If you represent both sides of each strip as a sequence of 1s and 0s by being filled in or not you can start looking for similar strip sides by trying to find pairs of strip sides which are on opposite sides of their strips and whose bitwise XOR has few bits set. Just following this heuristic brute force can give you an O(n^2) algorithm, and can probably be improved.

That heuristic would probably be better for non-monospace font than monospace font, because in non-monospace font there are few clean breaks through all lines of text.

Also by looking at a couple of the strips you could try to deduce the font size and where it starts vertically which can inform other heuristics.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:41:46 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: January 15, 2021, 10:38:22 pm »

Can anyone name a band that does better covers than Type O Negative?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: January 15, 2021, 11:42:26 pm »

Type A Positive does A+ covers methinks.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: January 16, 2021, 12:04:38 am »

Both of those bands are named after blood types. Interesting choices for band names. I wonder if there are bands named after tissues/organs?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: January 16, 2021, 06:51:49 am »

Uh, yeah. Pussy Riot is the one I immediately remember 'cause they ended up in the news a fair bit, but there's certainly plenty others.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: January 16, 2021, 09:26:05 am »

Led Zeppelin is the world's greatest blues cover band.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: January 16, 2021, 10:17:30 am »

Led Zeppelin is the world's greatest blues cover band.

Probably. "Stealing blues/jazz songs without giving credit" was a common source of songs for early rock musicians.

Both of those bands are named after blood types. Interesting choices for band names. I wonder if there are bands named after tissues/organs?

Heart?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: January 16, 2021, 10:27:23 am »

Stealing without giving credit has literally been the basis for the musical profession since times eternal.
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: January 16, 2021, 10:40:24 am »

When is it influence and when is it stealing? People are influenced by the things around them, and human nature dictates that they must necessarily imitate at least some parts of it. I'm almost certainly "stealing" someone's writing style, "stealing" someone's methods of asking, definitely "stealing" the words I'm using... it's all 'monkey see, monkey do'.

I suppose you could answer "intent", but do you remember why you do things long after it's already happened? Do you remember every single thing you've ever seen, heard, experienced? By the time Led Zeppelin made it big, everyone in that group would've said "Yeah, it's influenced by blues music, but it's not stolen, I swear" if you asked them if they stole things from blues songs. What person in a creative field believes their best work isn't original?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: January 16, 2021, 11:07:09 am »

I would argue that it has to do with what you end up as the final "product". When one is influenced by something then their product should be something that builts up from the past experience and offers something that wasn't available before. For example consider the first pocket radio, it's clearly influenced by pre existing technology (radio, batteries) but it utilized them in a way that offered something new (using a radio outside). In the same example "stealing" would be to just copy the same pocket radio design.

What person in a creative field believes their best work isn't original?

I'm not sure if they really believe it or if it's just for show, but Laibach (a music band/art group) have claimed that there is no original art.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: January 16, 2021, 11:43:06 am »

Y ar u gæ
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: January 16, 2021, 11:57:45 am »

I was making a pun... ;)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: January 16, 2021, 12:33:55 pm »

"Spleen" would probably be a decent grunge band.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 635