Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 666858 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7680 on: November 04, 2021, 01:57:40 am »

Boycotting a game is kind of pointless anyways when any wound you could inflict is undone by Gamerstm waiting to inhale any AAA garbage.

Not advocating nihilism. Just advocating perspective.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: November 04, 2021, 02:42:26 am »

Also I'm pretty sure project diablo 2 is more fun. Bigger inventories (are they still tiny in resurected?), corruptions to gamble with endgame gear, endgame content (maps, übers are harder too), stackable runes and gems, inventory hotkeys, and only real d2 veterans playing.

If you own the original it's free to try out, i haven't played DR but I'm pretty sure PD2 is made with more love.

Discretely points to Plug-Y for classic Diablo 2

It makes the stash chest have multiple pages worth of capacity, and at least 4 more rows and columns per page.
Player inventory still sadly very limited. :(

Fun feature:  Improves how the game does DirectDraw calls as well.

(Runs it with WINE. Works great.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:54:47 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: November 05, 2021, 06:26:27 am »

Yeah... However, my gaming buddy wasn't particularly interested in non-Resurrected versions, and was eventually compelling enough to push me over the edge into getting it. I'm just deluding myself with thinking that VV get a fair cut of the proceeds, because they've actually done some really fine work in touching this thing up.

...there are also some curious, silent changes that have resulted in the community launching into a confused uproar against itself, which is always entertaining to watch :P

Stash in D2R is 10x10 private stash, plus 3 tabs of 10x10 "shared" stashes that can be accessed by all your characters of that type (online or offline). Makes transferring items between characters a breeze.

There are some dumb and at times truly aggravating net issues however, which I would consider the main downfall of the title. I'm not going to start an unsolicited rant about that here though.

In other news, I... I think this is actually my first time bringing a character into Hell difficulty.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: November 05, 2021, 08:44:12 pm »

SO.

The Smashing Pumpkins.

Plays all the time on alternative rock radio, right?

Is 'Smashing' a verb, or an adjective?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: November 05, 2021, 09:00:51 pm »

It's claimed here to be an adjective.  But it's the internet and band(member)s mythologise all the time, so who really knows?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: November 05, 2021, 09:17:56 pm »

its an interjection
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: November 05, 2021, 11:10:46 pm »

I am fairly sure it is an adverb.

"Tommy is smashing pumpkins."

The verb is "is".  "smashing" describes the manner of being. "pumpkins" is the direct object, and "Tommy" is the proper noun as the subject.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: November 05, 2021, 11:21:10 pm »

Wouldn't "is smashing" be a present tense conjugation of the verb, "to smash"?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: November 05, 2021, 11:43:07 pm »

No, is is a "state of being" verb.

https://socratic.org/questions/is-is-a-verb

The state of being / linking verbs are:

Be, Am, Is, Are, Was, Were, Being, and Been.

Alternatively, words ending in -ing are often "Gerunds."

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/gerunds/

the use in this case, "Smashing Pumpkins", does not use the word 'smashing' as if it were a noun, so it is not a gerund.  Instead, there is an implied subject and verb in the utterance.

(we are) Smashing Pumpkins

as opposed to

Smashing pumpkins is fun!

The former is an adverb, the latter is a gerund.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:52:54 pm by wierd »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: November 06, 2021, 01:09:31 am »

So if we said the Smashing Pumpkins are a smashing success we would mean they are destroying success?  I think not...  On its own the use of the term in the name is ambiguous, hence None's question.

Edit: Usually in cases of band/brand names the intentions of the authors of said name are taken into account or even given priority.  Tracking down the previously cited comment to the Washington Post the bassist, D'Arcy had this to say:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1993/11/19/from-fighting-to-smashing/33ebd7b4-5944-469d-a3ae-fe967f5634f8/
"The name of the band is a stupid name, a dumb bad joke and a bad idea, OK?" she says. "Billy named the band before there even was a band. He was like, 'I'm gonna have a band and it's gonna be called this.' 'Smashing' is not a verb, it's an adjective. It's not like we like to smash pumpkins or anything. And we are not amused by pumpkin jokes anymore."

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 01:21:40 am by feelotraveller »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: November 06, 2021, 05:04:24 am »

So if we said the Smashing Pumpkins are a smashing success we would mean they are destroying success?
A destroying success, maybe? If they were breaking any records or something of similar intent, or aspirationally intending to. It'd be a bit odd, but I'm pretty sure it's legit english, or at least legit enough english stops giving a damn and starts rifling through someone's pockets for loose change.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: November 06, 2021, 07:49:56 am »

Grammar Fight!

I'm going to raise you all a present progressive:  "Tommy is smashing pumpkins."  The verb in this sentence isn't "is", it is "is smashing"; "is" is considered an auxiliary verb to the main verb "smashing" in this phrase:  "is smashing" is present progressive.

In the title The Smashing Pumpkins there is some ambiguity - it is either the pumpkins who are in the act of smashing (in this case, the auxiliary verb "which are" is implied rather than explicit), or it is pumpkins with the attribute "smashing" - consider instead The Clever Pumpkins.  Smashing, of course, being an adjective often connoting some level of awesomeness or attractive quality.

I suppose it could be a superposition of states - they could be smashing (adjectives) pumpkins which are presently smashing (verb).

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: November 06, 2021, 01:14:10 pm »

A destroying success, maybe?

I'd be fine with that - destroying used as an adjective, and the english languages as mongrels all the way down.

Grammar Fight!

Only if one wants to ignore actual history.  Seems to be all the rage recently!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 01:15:54 pm by feelotraveller »

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: November 06, 2021, 01:46:45 pm »

Adverb, gerund, rhombus, fuck it- the blame is on me for not understanding how to ask the question I was asking.

So, with that, I'd like to close the whole matter entirely and ask an entirely unrelated question.

SO.

The Smashing Pumpkins.

Plays all the time on alternative rock radio, right?

Does the phrase as illustrated by the band name describe the pumpkins as being of an excellent quality, or does it describe an act of violence upon pumpkins?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: November 06, 2021, 01:50:26 pm »

its an interjection

Obviously. ->

Shucks, there is a plurality of the kind of the pumps inbound (waterpumps and such)
let
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 635