Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667020 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7710 on: November 28, 2021, 04:49:14 am »

Yeah, I agree with scriver.  That "proper" way is a misquote.  It doesn't exactly convey what was said.  It lies.

Agreed. Not sure about you specifically, but I'm used to thinking of quotes to indicate string literals in any given programming language. Quotes must only contain exactly what's in the quoted text, no more, no less. Else, you end up mangling the quote.

Also, if you're writing keyboard commands for people to perform, adding punctuation within quotes might not go so well. It's not a habit you want people to get into, even if that does only yield innocent syntax errors almost all the time. Worst example I can think of is accidentally waiting 10 instants (by pressing ".") in DF's Adventure Mode. For those not in the know, this is how you die in fights.

"I do like cookies," said scriver, "but I like buns too."

That's the correct way to do it?! I would've accepted either
"I do like cookies", said scriver, "but I like buns too."

or, though I'll warn this style may mangle the intended timing and tone,
"I do like cookies..." said scriver, "...but I like buns too."

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: December 03, 2021, 05:41:28 pm »

edit: barely a question and a stupid one at that.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:55:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: December 04, 2021, 01:00:05 pm »

edit: barely a question and a stupid one at that.
Damn, now I want to hear THE QUESTION.  So my question is what was the question. But hey, no probs.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: December 04, 2021, 01:56:36 pm »

Wether I can justify in good conscience to get fastfood when there is food at home in a slightly eccentric rant. Sorry to underwhelm you  :D
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: December 04, 2021, 01:59:11 pm »

Wether I can justify in good conscience to get fastfood when there is food at home in a slightly eccentric rant. Sorry to underwhelm you  :D
The answer, my good sir, is yes.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: December 10, 2021, 03:49:17 pm »

How will the world make itself dumber? There's so much reason to be smart these days its honestly getting unejoyable.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: December 10, 2021, 05:20:11 pm »

How will the world make itself dumber? With open arms, in one word: emoji

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: December 10, 2021, 08:31:23 pm »

Adding new symbols to represent a bunch of different emotions and stuff doesn't seem very closely related to the concept of the government removing a bunch of words from the language in order to discourage critical thought.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: December 10, 2021, 09:32:08 pm »

Actually, emojis exist to convey what words alone can not properly convey. They should be used in addition to, not instead of, words. Emojis are actually a good thing.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: December 10, 2021, 11:06:33 pm »

Actually, emojis exist to convey what words alone can not properly convey. They should be used in addition to, not instead of, words. Emojis are actually a good thing.

💩
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: December 10, 2021, 11:43:31 pm »

Yeah, hard disagree with McTraveller: until we see a new phone that only has emojis, or a keyboard which defaults to emoji and discourage keyboard use, there's no limitations being put down, and emoji simplify (yes, that could be bad, but isn't necessarily) emotion expression. If anything, emoji facilitate a deeper and quicker conveyence of nuance.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: December 11, 2021, 01:11:40 am »

Look, if you had to have me explain what :U means as an emoticon, I'm not sure I could put it precisely into words, but it does convey a somewhat complicated emotional state or communicative tone. Saying more by saying less, yes?

:U

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: December 11, 2021, 01:26:33 am »

>:}

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: December 11, 2021, 09:33:26 am »

Depends on usage, really. I see emojis as a kind of emotional descriptor/indicator, so in that sense it works kinda like an accent mark to indicate tone.

But I've also come across people who communicate almost exclusively with emojis (and have nothing interesting to say with them, for that matter), and plenty of profiles on Tinder that just devolve into a run-on mass of hieroglyphics that are supposed to have some sort of bearing on who they are as a person by just dully cataloging every one of their potential interests.

I wouldn't say it's an Idiocracy trend, but I will admit that it took me many, many years before I even started using emojis myself, because I did generally associate them with less-intelligent people.

To wit: I was also generally more of a cunt back then.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: December 11, 2021, 10:11:58 am »

There is degrees of it. Smileys and winkeys and tongueys to convey humor are one thing. Aubergine, rocket, birthdayhat is not the same to me. And one thing I can't stand is crying wojak behind a smile, passive agressive, condescending smileys.

"Let me tell you why you're an idiot but look how reasonable I am since the smiley conveys emotional detachement :)"
let
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 635