Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 673883 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9045 on: March 29, 2023, 08:30:57 am »

I think the better question might be how did they get here?
Amusingly enough, the obvious answer for either setting being discussed is "warp drive accident".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: March 29, 2023, 02:16:26 pm »

IMO the answer is "High Sorcery".
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: March 29, 2023, 03:58:52 pm »

Clarke's 3rd law:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: March 29, 2023, 08:36:36 pm »

Oh, I didn't know that was one of 3 laws, interesting

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: March 30, 2023, 02:41:41 am »

We're ignoring the most complicated answer, which is that many millennia from now humanity creates a wormhole to a largely-empty galaxy and colonizes several worlds there. The wormhole actually carries them 100 thousand years into the past. Humanity in the Milky Way abandons or loses the wormhole, cutting off the new colonies from Earth, which develop into the humans inhabiting the galaxy in which Star Wars takes place. Eventually a warp drive accident brings a massive research cruiser investigating humanity's origins back to Earth, approximately 50 thousand years in our past. The crew of the cruiser escapes to Earth via their escape pods before the cruiser vanishes again into oblivion, stranding them here, where they become our ancestors.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:43:14 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: March 30, 2023, 02:59:49 am »

We were our own creators the entire time, I feel we have uncovered some forbidden knowledge here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9051 on: March 30, 2023, 06:02:57 am »

What was will be, hak hak hak hak

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: March 30, 2023, 11:30:27 am »

What will be, was.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: March 30, 2023, 11:40:42 am »

Every day the bucket goes to the well, but one day the bottom will drop out.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: March 30, 2023, 03:27:39 pm »

We're ignoring the most complicated answer, which is that many millennia from now humanity creates a wormhole to a largely-empty galaxy and colonizes several worlds there. The wormhole actually carries them 100 thousand years into the past. Humanity in the Milky Way abandons or loses the wormhole, cutting off the new colonies from Earth, which develop into the humans inhabiting the galaxy in which Star Wars takes place. Eventually a warp drive accident brings a massive research cruiser investigating humanity's origins back to Earth, approximately 50 thousand years in our past. The crew of the cruiser escapes to Earth via their escape pods before the cruiser vanishes again into oblivion, stranding them here, where they become our ancestors.
Following this, since there are skeletons of previous hominins, perhaps there are some who evolved naturally and others who came through the wormholes, and since the ones that came through the wormholes could have shown up around the time we evolved, perhaps some humans today are descended from the wormhole users, some evolved naturally, and there wouldn't be a way to know

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: March 31, 2023, 03:54:40 am »

Could be a mix of both, part naturally evolved and part wormhole traveler.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: April 12, 2023, 08:52:50 pm »

I want to distribute 10 points among 5 pools (0 is fine) randomly.

Actually this is easy.  It was more difficult when I had 12 points and each pool had a max of 10, but now that I'm reserving 2 points for special qualities it's literally just rolling a d5 10 times.

Edit: 5511521413
Welp- looks like I'm taking the Omniscient perk for utilizing my dip in every pool.  But 5 pts of concentration into Life is helpful.
And for my second pick... Astrologer because it provides scaling late-game power I might otherwise lack.  Even if I get Sanctify in my book.

Game: Caster of Magic.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 08:59:35 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: April 13, 2023, 05:57:36 am »

let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: April 13, 2023, 02:12:25 pm »

I think that's going to incorrectly favor the pools with lower indices, it's pretty likely to exhaust the available points unevenly instead of evenly distributing the points.  You'd be better to do something like Rolan7's approach, where at every iteration you pick a pool to add a single point.  This is because you're picking a random fraction of the remaining point total for each subsequent pool, which means the probabilities are dependent probabilities rather than what I think is wanted which is independent probabilities.

You've also got a bug (I think?) in that each pool can always end up with max pool points, not the max of the remainder of available points; you've got that
Code: [Select]
set /a max_pool_points=!max_points!
but you never update max_points from what I can see?

Did that get created by ChatGPT? It starts what looks like a Windows batch file with 'bash' which makes no sense...  8)

A much simpler approach is like
Code: [Select]
while(there are more points to distribute)
{
    target_pool = randomly pick one of the pools that isn't already maxed out
    increment the point count for the target_pool
    if( target_pool count is now the limit for a single pool )
    {
        remove target_pool from the list of pools that can be filled
    }
}

Also beware of partitioning a RAND() result into a range by doing a modulus operation: you're very likely going to have a slightly low-weighted count.  Consider a random number generator that spit out values between 0 and 15; if you are trying to pick from 6 elements you're going to short-change some of them, because you have 3 ways to get x % 6 equal to 0,1,2,or 3 but only 2 ways to get x % 6 to equal 4 or 5.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: April 13, 2023, 03:33:59 pm »

Yes that was written by chatgpt just as an experiment, thanks for the review, because I couldn't.
let
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 636