Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leather Farm  (Read 2951 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Leather Farm
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:28:58 am »

I just stumbled upon what might be a reliable leather farm, one of my dwarves killed an echidna corpse, not willing to let it go to waste, I built a butcher's and a tanner's, I was tanning the 1 echidna skin when an ambushing human necromancer raised the echidna skin, my doggies were nearby and attacked the echidna skin, got a few "and the severed part flies off in an arc", they were biting the skin on the head, rear pawn and other body parts, and I ended up with "echidna left front pawn skin"  "echidna right rear pawn skin" "echidna head skin" from the severed parts, now I'm tanning all the little skin pieces and I'm getting one leather for each of them.

So a chute near your butcher's where you'd drop the raw skins, then let a captured necro raise them and have your dogs/military/traps shred the raised skin to smaller pieces, close the line of sight to the necro and tan, profit?

I wonder if you drop the raised skin down a 12+ z-level pit will it explode into each body part skin pieces?

Maybe if you re-raise the exploded pieces and drop them again you get infinite leather?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:30:43 am by Kaos »

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Farm
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »

Sounds like reliable !!SCIENCE!!, at least worth trying.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:57 pm »

Necro behind fortifications that can see the skins after they are dropped in.
Open path from where the skins land toward the butcher shop.
Lots of saw blade traps between the necro and the butcher shop on that path.
Some military at the end of the path to the butcher shop, just in case.
Sounds like a plan.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:19 pm »

Sounds like reliable !!SCIENCE!!, at least worth trying.

woah, hold up there.

it's only SCIENCE if fire isn't involved.

(on a side note, colour me lazy, but i bet you could probably just pit the animal in the first place to make it kersplode and butcher each part, thus getting the amount of skins as well. but then again... since when has DF been about using the safe method of doing things when there's a method that could potentially result in your fort being littered with bloated dwarf corpses?)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »

Necro behind fortifications that can see the skins after they are dropped in.
Open path from where the skins land toward the butcher shop.
Lots of saw blade traps between the necro and the butcher shop on that path.
Some military at the end of the path to the butcher shop, just in case.
Sounds like a plan.
No, have some class - put them behind crystal glass windows :D
My wooden badge was delicious.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »

Can they still res bodies through the window?  I know they need line of sight, but I haven't seen reliable Science on whether they can res through windows or not.

I like the necro idea not because its more dangerous, but because the zombies walk to the butcher shop instead of having haulers move the parts. :D
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:36:37 pm »

woah, hold up there.

You can always include 'fire' for a temporary cleanup of stuff not useable 'farm wise'. Like a Magma flush.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:45:03 pm »

woah, hold up there.

You can always include 'fire' for a temporary cleanup of stuff not useable 'farm wise'. Like a Magma flush.

hmmm... i'm not sure if it counts as !!SCIENCE!! if you're not really using the fire as part of the experiment.

for example, if you had a second room with a retractable bridge floor and a window to the necromancer where you quantum stockpile all the useless bits and magma below, and then you were to test how long it takes for a zombie to be magma'd to death, *that* would be !!SCIENCE!!

but if you're just using it as a garbage disposal, you don't really have !!SCIENCE!! because a necessary component of !!SCIENCE!! is SCIENCE. what you really have is !!garbage disposal!! and while i don't have anything against !!garbage disposals!! they really aren't the same thing as !!SCIENCE!!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 01:49:24 pm »

Can they still res bodies through the window?  I know they need line of sight, but I haven't seen reliable Science on whether they can res through windows or not.

I like the necro idea not because its more dangerous, but because the zombies walk to the butcher shop instead of having haulers move the parts. :D
I'm pretty sure windows are transparent, I read it on the wiki somewhere.

You could have the windows in front of some fortifications - if no resurrecting is happening then I'm wrong and you can remove them easily. (But you want to keep your leather farmer happy, right?)
My wooden badge was delicious.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:50:43 pm »

what you really have is !!garbage disposal!! and while i don't have anything against !!garbage disposals!! they really aren't the same thing as !!SCIENCE!!

Sig'd

Yeah, windows do allow necromancers to mance necros through them. Usually a raising bridge, fortification, and window is used, but that's for protection from building destroyers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 03:44:20 pm »

Yes. Windows are transparent.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »

Yes. Windows are transparent.
I believe you guys that windows do not block a necromancer's ability to raise the dead, however, just because something is transparent doesn't mean it does not block LOS.  I just wasn't sure.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »

I believe you guys that windows do not block a necromancer's ability to raise the dead, however, just because something is transparent doesn't mean it does not block LOS.  I just wasn't sure.
It pretty much does mean that. Statues, grates, open doors, fortifications and pretty much anything you can walk on don't block line of sight.

Trees do though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »

(on a side note, colour me lazy, but i bet you could probably just pit the animal in the first place to make it kersplode and butcher each part, thus getting the amount of skins as well
You only get limbs that way, and the individual parts have to be large enough to butcher. With this method, you're starting with the skin, and one unit of that is always turned into one unit of leather.

An echidna front paw by itself isn't large enough to butcher, I think, so you wouldn't get the unit of skin from it. If you start with a whole echidna skin and carve off a paw-sized unit of skin... you do get the unit of skin from it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 08:12:06 am »

I have not SCIENCEd this, but from experience with necro training rooms I would say that raised leather does not get hacked into more leather. A raised tanned hide gets split up into "head skin", "front paw skin" etc, but the individual parts don't get hacked into smaller pieces. So no infinite leather probably, still you get 5 or 6 tanned hides out of one animal instead of just one.