Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What to do What to Do  (Read 3381 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do What to Do
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 09:53:56 am »

I put all my dwarves in squads with no active training months scheduled.  Give them a weapon and a shield.  If they're not doing their assigned task they go do individual weapon drills rather than sit around in the meeting hall socializing.

If you have a lot of extra idle hands than have three squads on a rotating "train for 2 months, no order for 1 month" schedule so at any time 2/3 are training and 1/3 are available for work.  Oh, and fill the training schedule with sets of "Training - Minimum 2" so that you get max sparring.  And have their equipment be worn over civilian clothing so that they carry shield and weapon about.

At a minimum you should get civilians with a minimum of weapon and physical training which makes them more ready to get armor and serious training.

I saw it pay off in my fort recently when a dwarf sent out to build a section of road was ambushed just outside the gate.  He *outran* the goblins while my gate barracks squads were summoned and the marksdwarves in the overwatch position were activated.  And carrying the shield paid off since he blocked a few attacks when a goblin caught up with him momentarily.  (The militia from the barracks triggered a second ambush and then obliterated both of them.  Goblin, meet Hammerlord.  Hammerlord, meet target.)

Note: Of course the dwarf didn't run back inside the gate.  Instead he bolted off towards the far gate of the fortress.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

jimy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »

You need magma, you have dwarves, so, a dwarf powered pump stack?

Oh my god, oh my god! I got the best idea ever!
You let the dwarf pump magma from a pit into a tunnel that leads to the dwarf itself!
Then you make a small whole where the magama can flow back into the pit.

That's the best idea I ever had!

Sideview(kinda):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I know the drawing is inaccurate the dwarf should actually stand next to the pump and not behind etc.
But I think you got the idea.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 01:19:46 pm »

That's horrific and cruel.

Do it.

jimy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile