Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ####### fuit stands!  (Read 7080 times)

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
####### fuit stands!
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:34:43 pm »

Thus ends another bright star in the Anarchist tales. He should have never feared the fruit stand, damnit. Drive through, Jimmy, drive through to God now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: ####### fuit stands!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

Yeah, I quickly learned not to care about the fruit sellers.  It's their own fault for obstructing my Liberal Band Wagon.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:23:02 am »

Can you please correct the spelling in the title? "Fuit" reminds me of *shudder* Latin verb conjugations.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »

Ah, Latin.
Its way better then French tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 02:48:34 pm »

Fui, fuisti, fuit, fuimus, fuistis, fuerunt...
The horror.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not sure what everyone means. The OP implied that his driver died crashing into a fruit stand, but EuchreJack just said something about not caring about them. I coulda sworn crashing into them was random chance, that the game didn't give a fuck whether you cared about them or not.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not sure what everyone means. The OP implied that his driver died crashing into a fruit stand, but EuchreJack just said something about not caring about them. I coulda sworn crashing into them was random chance, that the game didn't give a fuck whether you cared about them or not.

When you attempt to flee from enemies when driving, there is a random chance a fruit stand is up ahead. If there is, you are given a choice of whether to plow through it, or drive evasively to avoid it. If you avoid it, the driver must make a driving skill roll to avoid swerving out of control and crashing; if you plow through it, you don't risk crashing, but you may hit and kill innocent bystanders.

The OP's driver died from avoiding a fruit stand, so he urged Jimmy to not fear the fruit stand, and instead drive through it. EuchreJack's comment was about plowing into the fruit stand, so as to avoid losing control of the car, and hardening your heart to the consequences for the innocent fruit sellers.

Perhaps the fruit stand encounter should be rewritten to be a little kid running out into your path, and you can either slam the brakes and swerve wildly (risking your life), or slam the horn and scream at the kid to move (risking the innocent bystander). It is how it is for legacy reasons -- it was the original random obstacle that Toady put in the game when he first made car chases.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »

Any heart or juice loss for vehicular homiciding fruit stand workers?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »

When you attempt to flee from enemies when driving, there is a random chance a fruit stand is up ahead. If there is, you are given a choice of whether to plow through it, or drive evasively to avoid it. If you avoid it, the driver must make a driving skill roll to avoid swerving out of control and crashing; if you plow through it, you don't risk crashing, but you may hit and kill innocent bystanders.

The OP's driver died from avoiding a fruit stand, so he urged Jimmy to not fear the fruit stand, and instead drive through it. EuchreJack's comment was about plowing into the fruit stand, so as to avoid losing control of the car, and hardening your heart to the consequences for the innocent fruit sellers.

Perhaps the fruit stand encounter should be rewritten to be a little kid running out into your path, and you can either slam the brakes and swerve wildly (risking your life), or slam the horn and scream at the kid to move (risking the innocent bystander). It is how it is for legacy reasons -- it was the original random obstacle that Toady put in the game when he first made car chases.

Oh. I haven't gotten a fruit stand for so long that I forgot you had a choice.

Couldn't you put in both fruit stands and little kids, even if they were the same for gameplay purposes? I'm assuming fruit stands were just chosen since they were the stock campy chase scene obstacle.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:57 am »

I'm all for adding the little kid to the list of obstacles, while retaining the fruit stand.

Sorry my post above wasn't clear, and thanks Jonathan for explaining.

More diversity in the car chases would always be nice.

I'd also agree with the idea of the driver losing juice for plowing through the fruit stand / running over the little kid.  It's a pretty clear "sacrifice the innocent to save your own skin" scenario that demands a juice reduction.  After all, if we lose juice for accidentally shooting an innocent, it makes sense that recklessly disregarding innocent civilians should also lead to a loss in juice.

And to add something actually helpful to this discussion: If you have less than two driving skill, swerving to avoid the fruit stand will always lead to your squad getting wiped out.  If you have five or more driving skill, you will likely succeed in avoiding the fruit stand, and the pursing car has a decent chance of wiping out.

Those are just some general rules of thumb from what I've observed.  Your milage may vary, and note the health of the liberal and the quality of the vehicle driven also influence these rolls.  Still, I doubt even a sportscar driven at less than two driving could safely avoid the fruit stand.

Regarding health, if your driver is near death, then expect most fancy driving moves to fail, such as avoiding the fruit stand.  Your liberal driver is too busy trying to keep breathing to pull off such fancy moves.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:43 am »

Or, it could be rewritten to make it more clear what the risks are, if they aren't already, or possibly implement a greater number of encounters in addition to the fruit stand.

Personally, I think the fruit stand itself should stay in some form, since, well, it's a car chase. There has to be a fruit stand involved. That's one of those staples that is a staple to the point of movies mostly doing it half-ironically now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:25:50 am »

I think what we also need are Newspaper Stands too where you can gain juice if it was full of conservative print... but running it over has a chance to get your windows covered by newspapers.

Also random boxes and crates.

Mind you I am not joking. I am aware the only reason there are fruit stands is because of hollywood law.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:37:41 am by Neonivek »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:43 am »

Maybe there could be a heart loss too, for gunning it through the stands. Killing poor fruitsellers trying to sell enough to survive? Sounds conservative to me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:34:54 am »

Besides, what kind of person peddles fruit directly to the consumer, instead of selling it to the big, nasty corporations?  A Liberal, that's who.

So, that fruit stand vendor is a liberal ally!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:00 am »

Personally, I think the fruit stand itself should stay in some form, since, well, it's a car chase. There has to be a fruit stand involved. That's one of those staples that is a staple to the point of movies mostly doing it half-ironically now.
Agreed. The aspect of having a fruit stand is what is critically important here. It wouldn't be in most games, but this is LCS, we have to operate under Hollywood Rules.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »

I see the indispensability of fruit stands to the game. Still, their consequences ought to be made clear. Perhaps the fruit stand be described as "flimsy", and roll in advance whether you'll kill someone from driving through; if you will, mention the fruit seller's eyes going wide as he sees the oncoming car. Something in the description of the option to avoid it that indicates the risk... then a somewhat greater chance of success for unskilled drivers, combined with near-miss descriptions, like "the squad is thrown in their seats as the Blue 1976 Station Wagon tilts precariously, nearly flipping as it swerves violently to avoid the fruit stand". And of course, consequences beyond a murder charge for killing pedestrians in car chases.
Pages: [1] 2