Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ####### fuit stands!  (Read 7081 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ####### fuit stands!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »

I see the indispensability of fruit stands to the game. Still, their consequences ought to be made clear. Perhaps the fruit stand be described as "flimsy", and roll in advance whether you'll kill someone from driving through; if you will, mention the fruit seller's eyes going wide as he sees the oncoming car.

This would eliminate the risk, though, in the sense that you can predict the effects beforehand (although not the effects of swerving, I guess).

But yeah, stating the potential effects of either choice, in some way, is generally a good idea. If LCS needs anything right now, it's to be more self-documenting (don't get me started on items!).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »

My reasoning for the suggestion is that while it would eliminate the risk of plowing through when there's nobody present, it would amplify the danger when there is; instead of being able to plow through and hope you won't hit someone, you know in advance that there will be consequences to not dodging. Otherwise, the 80% chance of getting through without consequences when plowing into the fruit stand would almost always be the better option. The other way to change that would be to make the consequences of hitting someone overly severe, or to make it much more likely; I'm not fond of either of those options. I wouldn't want to deny players the pleasure of plowing through fruit stands with abandon.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 05:54:45 am »

I sort of like how it is now, it seems obvious to me that the fruit stand is manned most of the time, it just seems that the driver should get dinged in juice or heart (probably just juice, as the liberal is being more reckless than villanous).

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 12:18:09 pm »

I think the current system is excessively punishing for newer players -- if you haven't seen a fruit stand encounter before, it's quite likely that you will think your car will be in danger if you plow through it, and driving around it is the sensible thing. I certainly remember this being my first thought when I first played the game, and feeling that the instant death for my entire squad after making that choice was a bit sudden and unfair. Surprises are good, but things should be telegraphed enough that you can make a somewhat informed decision without being blindsided by your squad being totally wiped out.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 04:51:43 pm »

In that case, changing the swerve option to include "and risk your squad" while adding "safely" to the plow through option should serve as good clarification, much like most of the other car chase options seem to reflect this problem.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 06:46:28 pm »

In that case, changing the swerve option to include "and risk your squad" while adding "safely" to the plow through option should serve as good clarification, much like most of the other car chase options seem to reflect this problem.

Or you can do what some point and clicks do and give a reason why that happened after the fact.

Having you die and not telling you or giving you a clue as to why is so Roguelike

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:19 pm »

"Not my cabbages!"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:18 pm »

"For the love of lemons!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 03:29:48 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 [2]