Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have created a hell on earth  (Read 8222 times)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have created a hell on earth
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:26:48 am »

So I go back to playing DF once again, download the newest version, and generate what turns out to be a dwarven hell.

Gomaththur. Translated to "The Legendary Universe". Well, it's certainly legendary.

For starters, goblin fortresses are abundant. Forgotten beasts lie everywhere. The beasts of myth and legend (dragons, hydra, rocs, and bronze colossi) are all extinct.

There is only one major night creature left; Kulur Ujarushan Muthrosor (translated Kulur Ujarushan the Dead Funeral). Kulur is a shadow troll; a twisted mockery of a troll (which is already saying a LOT) that has three tails and skin covered in black scales. She is best described as the mortal enemy of the entire world, and has killed members of all 4 major sentient species.

There is a human settlement, Puzzlehenges, that is basically a horrible place to live. The government in charge, the League of Thorns, has fought wars against goblin and dwarven kind, was invaded by night terrors often, and has managed to somehow take prisoner a lizard brute.  The  League of Thorns has managed to capture alive a DEMON.

That demon is the very last one still alive on the surface. The humans are PROTECTING IT.

Wars have scoured this world, which is saying a lot when it's only small-sized. Every species has gone to war with every other species multiple times. In a glorious reversal of how such fights tend to go, a goblin force of over 600 goblins attacked an elven settlement, only to be cut down to size (over 66% fatality rate) by THREE ELVES.

This would not bother me, was it not for the worst detail of all.

There is not a single flux stone in the entire world. I could not make this up if I tried. Steel, the tried and true metal of dwarven kind, does not exist.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: I have created a hell on earth
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:39:26 am »

That demon is the very last one still alive on the surface. The humans are PROTECTING IT.
Sounds like a deposed lawgiver demon. They're just looking for a way to kill it.

Sounds like home really.

xoseph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:05:23 pm »

Nice.

But to be truly hellish, there'd have to be nothing left but elves.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:12:04 pm »

Given another 100 years or so, the elves may very well have overpopulated and outpopulated the goblins into extinction.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:52:33 pm »

I like that, it's sigged!
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:09:47 pm »

a goblin force of over 600 goblins attacked an elven settlement, only to be cut down to size (over 66% fatality rate) by THREE ELVES.

sounds like those goblins were not above the average mook.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »

There is not a single flux stone in the entire world. I could not make this up if I tried. Steel, the tried and true metal of dwarven kind, does not exist.
Are you sure you haven't set mineral scarcity to everywhere and the searcher malfunctions?
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:54:09 pm »

Are you sure you haven't set mineral scarcity to everywhere and the searcher malfunctions?

happened to me... was so dissapointed about not having flux, started without it, then dug down into marble
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 11:59:15 pm »

happened to me... was so dissapointed about not having flux, started without it, then dug down into marble
Happened to me too! I'm drowning in flux, half my buildings are of it. dolomite, marble, you name it. But when I was searching: "uh, no flux here, no sirre. What is this Flux you speak of?"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 12:05:39 am »

Are you a man, or are you a dwarf?  Flouting the rules of physics and chemistry are part of the dwarves' essential nature.  Steel exists, and in plentiful supply, you just need to get to work and be tricky about it.

Your civilization should know how to make steel.  That means you can import it from them.  It doesn't matter if they have the ingredients, only if they know the reaction.  Screw good metallurgy practices.

So you can get a few bars every year, that's not enough to work with, right?  Wrong.  Dwarf forge and smelter pseudoscience is so advanced that they can make chain leggings with one bar of steel, melt them back down, and wind up with a bar and a half of steel.  Not that you can do much with half a bar, but the next time you run the reaction the smelter will spit two bars back out.

You'll have to keep your forge and smelter running round the clock to bulk up those steel supplies.  If you do it with charcoal, you'll kill all the trees, which is of course hilarious.  But you're still hungry for more steel, aren't you?  If you're a dwarf, I don't need to tell you this, but I will anyway: Dig deeper.  Magma is the answer.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:32:12 am »

So you can get a few bars every year, that's not enough to work with, right?  Wrong.  Dwarf forge and smelter pseudoscience is so advanced that they can make chain leggings with one bar of steel, melt them back down, and wind up with a bar and a half of steel.  Not that you can do much with half a bar, but the next time you run the reaction the smelter will spit two bars back out.

Dear armok, is this true??? I hope it is, not for exploity/infinite-metal purposes, but just for ease of armorsmith training. And was this true in .31.25?
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 01:52:20 am »

Those elves must have some absurd strength levels now, what with all those kills.

Pity you can't recruit my of them for adventure mode.  Afaik, since there are no cities for elves any more, you can't recruit them.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 01:58:59 am »

Those elves must have some absurd strength levels now, what with all those kills.

Pity you can't recruit my of them for adventure mode.  Afaik, since there are no cities for elves any more, you can't recruit them.

you don't make all races gen with towns? srsly?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 02:26:14 am »

Dear armok, is this true??? I hope it is, not for exploity/infinite-metal purposes, but just for ease of armorsmith training. And was this true in .31.25?

I don't know if it was true in .31.25, but it's true now.  There's a bug report on it.  I've only personally tested axes though, I was more concerned with getting a legendary weaponsmith and was willing to endure the slower return rate to get it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 03:40:04 am »

I don't know if it was true in .31.25, but it's true now.  There's a bug report on it.  I've only personally tested axes though, I was more concerned with getting a legendary weaponsmith and was willing to endure the slower return rate to get it.
For armorsmith training, leggings are great, and for weaponsmiths battle axes are good - both give 3/2 bars when smelted. For metal multiplication, you want coins - look on the wiki page for exploits under Adamantine factory or something like that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: [1] 2