Malacath
Gork
Mork
Morgoth
Saruman
Bhall
Father Sky

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64

Author Topic: [ORC] Discussion and Download Latest! (v1.42B)  (Read 135419 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
[ORC] Discussion and Download Latest! (v1.42B)
« on: July 21, 2012, 03:32:09 pm »

Orc Fortress is a sub-mod that plugs into Masterwork Dwarf Fortress (MDF). 

Version v1.41B is INCLUDED with Masterwork Dwarf Fortress v3c

Orc Fortress v1.42 Beta is currently the latest version.  The 1.4x update phases out the Dwarf-style crucible and trapmaker and introduces the Orcish Blacksmoke Furnace (oil, acid, fire weapons, chemistry) and Steamfoundry (advanced tinkering, golem and steamweapons).  It also introduces Soulgems, atlatls, and brings back the Minotaur.

1.4x is still Beta, not everything is tested in game. with clean error log. It will cause duped raws if installed on MDF version older than 3b.

Features of Orc Fortress:

* A playable 'Taiga Orc' civilization with a full suite of new reactions and workshops.  Orcs are opposed to the Dwarves and other 'good' races, and to the Masterwork Fortress Defense races too. You can turn on Goblins or standard Masterwork Evil (Deep Drow, Chaos Dwarves, etc.) races if you want the Orcs to have some extra allies.

* A new selection of weapons tailored to the strengths of your brute Uruk and agile Snaga caste orcs
* Develop your new clan-holding into a pit of heavy industry, a lair of sorcery, a retreat for master artisians and tribal warriors, or a den for thieves and buccaneers.  Or, all of the above.

* Spend coin at the Freelancers Guild or the Caravanserai
* Corsairs dispatch raiding parties against your enemies for materials, foreign tools and weapons
* Dreamwalkers make excellent healers, and can become powerful spellcasters
* Raiding can unlock a number of foreign workshops; some common, and some rare

See the second post for an overview of some of these features in Orc Fortress.  A manual is also included in the download.

Changelog post v1.00
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Credits:

Orc Fortress is a mod plug-in subsidiary to MWDF and of course Dwarf Fortress itself.  It also uses a few item assets, building designs, and concepts which originated in Genesis, Kobold Camp, and Legends of Forlorn Realms.  Thanks to all who share their work here and especially to Meph, Hugo_the_dwarf, Deon, Phoebus, Narhiril, Urist da Vinci, i2amroy, Putnam, Wrex, gwathlobal; whoever originally made the Orc sprites, the general combined wisdom of the B12 forums and last but not least, the Adams brothers.  If you enjoy Orc Fortress then 99.9% of the credit goes to all those folks mentioned above.  Any components of Orc Fortress that are my original work I am certainly happy if they are reused and recycled, if you want to use a small piece like a spell or an item just go for it! if you reuse major components just give me a heads up so I can see what you are doing with it.

Since version 1.10 the magic system is much improved by the DFHack team's work on 'autosyndrome' and 'itemsyndrome,' so many thanks again to expwnent, Putnam, warmist, and doubtless many others who develop and test those tools.

Feature Details:

On the Orcish Creature:  There are three primary castes in Taiga Orc civilization.   The 'standard' caste are most similar to their feral Orcish brethren.  They are very strong, and quite agile, and are about 150% size of a dwarfs (just a bit larger than humans).  They learn leatherworking and bonecarving quickly, and they learn brewing and gemwork slowly.

About 1 in 8 Taiga orcs are born into the Uruk caste, descended from the mighty nomadic tribes of the steppes.  These orks are about 10% again larger than their clansmates, they can enter a Martial Trance, and they are incredibly strong and tough.

About 2 in 8 Taiga orcs are born into the Snaga caste, rumored to have mixed Goblin blood in their ancestry.  They are small and weak, like a goblin, but have grudgingly earned respect as archers in Taiga warbands due to their remarkable agility.

About 5% of Taiga orcs are artisans, and make excellent smiths, fletchers, or craftsorcs.

About 5% of Taiga orcs are Dreamwalkers, frail creatures who make masterful doctors and can be trained into powerful spellcasters.

About 5% of Taiga orcs are Corsairs, who have learned the arts of raiding, bartering, and gunplay during their adventures on the high seas.

About 2% of Taiga orcs are Ronin, casteless uruk who hope to barter their skill in arms for a home in a new clan.

On the Orcish Entity:  In Masterwork Dwarf Fortress, the Dwarves, Elves, and others have mastered elite arts of metallurgy and warcraft and have driven the Taiga Orcs from their traditional forest homelands.  Trapped between the mithril spears of the elves and the cruel frozen seas, the Orcs know that they must adopt civilization and industry or else perish.  Orcs have access to all 'vanilla' workshops, but they lack a lot of the advanced workshops, temples, and furnaces that Masterwork Dwarves have access too.  Of course, they have developed a few tricks of their own.

Taiga Orcs have nobles, but organized a bit differently than the Dwarves.  Multiple "scribes" can be appointed, and each takes the role of both bookkeeper and manager.  Multiple "shaman" can be appointed, who look after both the physical and mental health of their tribe.

Old Poll Results
* First poll:  liked to keep the option to trade with wild orcs and goblins, keeping in mind that they don't have great stuff and the goblins visit multi times per year.
* Second poll:  use both building blueprints, and consumable tools, as ways for Raiders to bring back technology to help improve your fort.  This system has been pretty fully fleshed out in v0.30.
* Third poll:  votes for how to fill in the high end workshops were pretty spread around, with support for steampowered weapons slightly higher than platemail; and runesmithing greater than new materials.

Other info: 
I only play/support Orc Fortress with the Pheobus Tileset, but discussion in this thread indicates that it should work with others too. As far as I have tested so far you can play OF with many various MWDF settings, but it does have dependancies on some other Masterwork industry chains including Advanced Metalworking, Gunsmith, Tanner, Engineer, Weaponry and Weaker Traps.  The new custom reactions are balanced against Harder Smithing rules.

Orc Fortress no longer includes Dwarf Mode changes.  Those features mostly make their way into Orc Mode in some form or another.  For example, if you enjoyed spending coin at the Merchants Guild, you might also like the Orcish Caravanserai (obtainable by, well, looting plans from the tradeships of the Merchant's Guild of course!)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:47:36 pm by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Orc Fortress: A new playable civ for ☼MASTERWORK☼
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »

As the Taiga Orcs you will be under constant assault by the Dwarves, Humans, and Drow, and if you are unlucky mithril-armed Elves may ambush as early as spring of Year 2!  You can turn on Evil races to give yourself more trading partners.  Fortress Defense races are aggressive towards Orcs too.

You can expect a whole new kind of "Greetings from the Mountainhomes!"

Orcish Crafts: The Orcish Fletcher can build powerful composite bows, if you can spare the extra wood and leather.  Later in the game he can create flaming or poisoned arrows.  The Tribal Craftsman can make ironbone war-claws even without an anvil, not the ideal weapon for cleaving a bloody swath across a battlefield, but a fine choice for the war-chief who specializes in single combat or is nostalgic for the old ways.  Even in a larger orcish city, where his weapons are obsolete, the Tribal Craftsman often finds work creating sets of lamellar armor or lamellar padded gear.  The Tiaga orcs have not adapted entirely to a market economy, but they certainly embrace the idea of fencing ill-gotten gains for coin.  At the Orcish Freelancers' Guild you can cash in bounties on skulls, trade away nautical supplies such as pulleys and cloth, and purchase buccaneering gear like cutlasses and pistols.

Orcish Industry:   Taiga Orcs lack many of the sophisticated metalworking skills of the Dwarves, such as Blast Furnaces, Gem Forge, or Great Magma Forge, but they do have their own skill at heavy industry.  The Molten Pit is the Orcish mass production furnace.  The efficiency is a bit low, and some of the iron comes out rusty, but The Pit can also be used to dispose or re-fit ill-fitting armor fragments from pitiful small enemies.  The Factory turns farmed trees directly into charcoal; and it also allows mass production of cheap or generic gear, perfect for front line grunts.  A warlord and his chosen war-orcs might get their weapons at a Orcish Damascene Shop, where an artesian uses ancient methods to fold exquisite blades from rare metals.  Unfortunately, the orcish interest and skill in metallurgy does not extend to advanced armor.

Orcish Shamanistic Powers: As the once-disparate Orcish tribes come to gather in the clan-strongholds, their Shaman bring together different aspects of Orcish spiritual beliefs.  The traditionalists promote simple rituals at a totem field that appeal to the ancestor-spirits for blessings, or for vengance.  Tribes from the woodlands prefer the worship of savage nature spirits, which in times of battle they channel to the warband through the rhythms of drums and horns.  Other clans hailing from from the broken lands prefer the protection of their strange gods of chaos and fire, and perform rites which seem incomprehensible to many outsiders.

Magma Source: Orcs have a chance to obtain the Magma Source by sending a "raid" against dwarven settlements, which uses a magma generating reaction discovered by 'Urist daVinci'.  You can use the Magma Source to create a tool called a Magma Bottle (or Water Bottle), and use this tool to prime workshops called small 'barrels' or larger 'cisterns'.  Alternatively, fill the barrels by melting down ice or obsidian.  When you dismantle or create an artificial cave-in which falls on the workshop, the fluids will fill the surrounding area.  Have !!fun!!
Use magmafilled tramcarts to set up engineering projects such as ocean or aquifer blasting;
Combine cistern with pressure plates to make deadly traps;
Generate a portable magmasupply for boiling-oil wall pump or magma pressure mines;
Or just be creative!

Orcish Raiders: Dwarves may be content to lurk meekly in defense of their ivory spires and adamant halls, but Orcs prefer to sow vengeance among the home lands of their foes.  From the Raiders' Drydock you can equip a longboat with weapons and enough coin for a crew of freelancers to depart on a expedition of your choosing.  The crew are likely to perish forgotten and alone in a distant land; but there is a chance they may return instead with an assortment of plundered metals, weapons, or even rare blueprints & artifacts for the clan Artisians and Dreamwalkers to study. 

Goblin Ghettos and labor camps:
Sub-orcish migrants and other foreign 'volunteers' brought in by your Raiders can add new dimensions to Orcish industry ... or simply ransom captives off to the Shadowbroker for some easy cash.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:53:31 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:29:30 am »

Why did I not know of this ? ^^ Just found it through the weirdest link. Anyway, will read, then edit post to give actual feedback. Also made two minor updates, but shouldnt affect this much. Thanks smake, for making the mod better as you go :)

Edit: Read. Nice writeup and storytelling :) I love that you did custom buildings and castes and nobles and... wow. I did link to this from the masterwork df thread, hope thats ok.

Edit2: -snip- link removed.

Two little things I want to add: You should mention that your changed training reacions do affect the dwarven race and not the orcs. The other thing is the installation. You said copy this into the objects folder, copy this into the graphics folder, only one replace, the entity, and so on... I did repack it a bit different, with the folder structure already in it, so people only copy it into their DF folder, and all the .txt are already in the needed subfolders. Dont know which system you would prefer, but it should make it easier. So, again, for everyone: Just copy the raw-folder you download here into the dwarf fortress folder, and replace all. Done.

Added link to my sig. :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:46:00 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:06:28 am »

Hi Meph-  Ah, I was wondering if I would have a chance to sneak in an update to MW194 before messaging you, but you found me out :)  Thanks for the nice comments and, of course it's OK to link! 

ed.
Installation: yes, I like your way much better, i'll do it that way in future updates.

Looking forward to feedback. thanks Meph!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:18:41 am by smakemupagus »

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:49:00 am »

What kind of weapons and armor can the orcs use? If im able to stab a elf with his own spear, i will give this a shot (After my MW Fortress finally dies, which it refuses to do).

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:56:40 am »

In my last couple games I've been having the Tribal Craftsman make a pair of ironbone claws for the warchief.  Claws don't kill very quickly but plenty of Pain and disabling puncture wounds.  Crank out a bunch of silver clubs or iron scimitars for the grunts.  Then plan to upgrade once the elves or other pink-skins come with gifts :)  You can wield whatever you loot and, many orcs are big enough to wield a halberd or great-hunter's-spear one handed.

Orcs make decent archers.  Once you have leather the Fletcher makes composite bows which are deadly. 

Human armor you can equip.  Elf and Dwarf armor is small.  The Slag pit offers some ways to recycle like "reforge armor as makeshift breastplate", so you should be able to refit those Small Mithril and Steel to something useful.  Don't use the "toss armor in slag pit" reaction unless it's a scrap material.

Some of the most fun Orcish weapons are in custom reactions (see pictures above) but they can Forge normally these:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:18:54 pm »

smake, y u no update first post ? (I mean your version on DFFD, you can just take the entity file I uploaded and it will work perfectly fine with 1.9.4... or leave the entity file out, and only mod orcs ;) )

Edit: Mmmh... probably because you are secretly working on a bigger update with more features...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:31:42 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »

Edit: Mmmh... probably because you are secretly working on a bigger update with more features...

Yeah I was thinking of a few things, maybe for the Tribal Craftsorc since in MW194 the regular craft shop stole some of his thunder with the lamellar armor sets...  But I updated with your version anyway in the mean time! :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »

Ok, I did in turn remove the download link from dropbox.

How can you see at embark which civ/race you are ? Is there no change necessary in the entity files, to makes dwarves "non-controllable" ?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »

Ok, I did in turn remove the download link from dropbox.

How can you see at embark which civ/race you are ? Is there no change necessary in the entity files, to makes dwarves "non-controllable" ?

Tab until you see the neighbor civs tab. The top race is the one you are playing as. Remove [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from the [ENITY:MOUNTAIN] to make dwarves unplayable.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:06:57 am »

ok, i give this a shot, maybe with a little story? Lets see how it is ;)

Ok, ive played one game now, then my PC crashed (not because of DF, something else decided it doesnt like me).

Here are some suggestions (some may be not possible/really hard to implement, i still have no idea of modding, only a vague imagination whats hardcoded):

Orcs are an above ground race, so they should have no access to underground crops. Instead, give them some orcish above ground crops, if at all, orcs arent what i would call typical farmers (but then again, we have dwarfen woodcrafters..... ;) ). All together, they should be focused on the surface at all, but that would require a major overhaul, and i dont really know how to achieve that.

Then, on embark, i was able to buy most animals in the game, including sauropods, drowspiders and all that good stuff. On the other side, there were things that seemed really appropriate (boars, spiders and other wild and evil animals). I really liked them, hope they work properly ;)

Then, something that is probably not possible: Add goblins and maybe kobolds as castes which are good at minor jobs like mining, farming and other dirty work no orc wants to do. I will not work that idea out until i know if its possible, to save time and brain capacity.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:48:34 pm by Firehawk45 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:56:42 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

On the underground:  I will admit total ignorance on where Orcs usually live in DF, but my strongest influences for the Taiga Orcs are probably Tolkien (Uruk and Snaga castes, relentless war with dwarves, etc.) and Elder Scrolls (proud tribal culture, fine weapon crafting, etc.)  With a smattering of plenty of other sources.  For example I won't deny that I was thinking a bit of the Crag Hack when I put in the Freelancer's Guild.  Anyway, coming from Tolkien and ES, my Orcs are perfectly comfortable below ground ;)

Animals: yeah, they just are set to tame whatever they get their hands on, and they are allowed to settle in a lot of different biomes.  I don't know enough about how to restrict that really.  I would be interested to learn more.  Since I can usually get some boars, wolves, or lions that's what I've been rolling with.  Sauropods were way too expensive to embark with I hope?

My biggest limitation for introducing extra creatures as castes is that it's tough to do caste-level graphics.  I know Narharil has a method but I think it's a workaround that is better for "enemies" than for playable civs, but I will try to learn more about it.  Snaga fill the same role as goblins, but I would use goblin graphics for snaga if I knew how.  And I would add minotaurs or trolls if I could :)  Kobolds are a cool idea too.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 12:00:25 am »

There are no orcs in DF, so you won't have a problem there :P

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 12:19:49 am »

There are no orcs in DF, so you won't have a problem there :P

Oh! Right on then  8)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 02:20:08 am »

The problem is, at the moment, the orcs are too similiar to dwarfes to make it a truly changed experience from normal play. Yes, they have some nice stuff, put atm, they are dwarfes with another skin ;)

So yeah, make them more undwarfy, mainly by replacing many reactions and workshops with orcish variants, remove others and add orcish ones. Yes, there is some hardcoded stuff, but do orcs have the technology to produce complex mechanisms, rock weapons and high quality rock furniture, not to speak of archaologie and soap making ;)

Its a nice mod, and Meph seems willing to hijack the idea to have more playable civs in MW, but it needs some more work to get its potential to the light of day ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64