Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I play using the standard curses font?  (Read 2923 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I play using the standard curses font?
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:25:09 pm »

I want to play some Masterwork, but unfortunately my eyes are failing to adjust to any of the graphics tile sets in the mod. I tried setting it to just "Ascii" with everything to default, but this didn't really work. I still had little graphics for dwarves and animals instead of what I was expecting to be ASCII characters like the vanilla curses font.

Is it possible to switch over to that, or the sheer number of new items/creatures/buildings makes that font impossible to use?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Can I play using the standard curses font?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:42:41 pm »

You are mixing quite a few different things here. There are tilesets. There are graphics/sprites for creatures. And there is the font.

All three things can be adjusted in the GUI. For true vanilla feeling, take the ASCII tileset, and below it in the GUI are two buttons: Creature Sprites and TrueType Font. Turn both off. Then restart DF and generate a new world.

The new buildings might look odd in ascii, because I designed them for graphical sets, I dont even know how they would translate into Ascii. But everything else should be fine.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »

I want to play some Masterwork, but unfortunately my eyes are failing to adjust to any of the graphics tile sets in the mod. I tried setting it to just "Ascii" with everything to default, but this didn't really work. I still had little graphics for dwarves and animals instead of what I was expecting to be ASCII characters like the vanilla curses font.

Is it possible to switch over to that, or the sheer number of new items/creatures/buildings makes that font impossible to use?

I play with ASCII.  I keep having troubles with every new version though - sometimes the world glows bright green, sometimes various letters just disappear, and at least a few versions were using the phoebus font stretched out to illegibility.  It's gotten to the point where I just copy over the old installations .init files because the launcher fucks them up so weirdly - but yes, if you do everything right it is possible.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:01:53 pm »

Yes, you are right, I got everything mixed up, so let me just show what I mean.

Here's game with vanilla. In init.txt I set the windowed font to [FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now these are my settings (I didn't have creature sprites and truetype turned off before, and now that I have I at least don't see the graphics for creatures anymore)

And this is how the game loads up for me

So those green plus signs all over the map that I thought were trees are not trees. When I loo'k' over them it turns out that it's grass. And the biggest problem here is that when the game is unpaused, these things start shifting rapidly. Like raindrops, except there's no rain.

Also the wall of the volcane has granite, and if you can see in the screenshot it's represented by the ascii character ä, but that's not what the granite wall looks like in vanilla. In vanilla it looks like ▓

But if you say you never tried to make the mod work with an ASCII set then ok, no problem. I'll just have to get used to one of the graphics packs.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:40:54 pm »

That would be a raw issue.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:05:38 pm »

Hm. I reinstalled and set it to ascii and it looks fine now!
I don't know what happened, though. I guess when I was trying out the different graphics packs something got messed up.

(Btw, Meph, I quickly built one of the new workshops, furniture one, and it looks perfectly fine :) )

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 02:59:59 am »

It just looks like you did generate a world, and after that you changed the settings. The screenshot you show is probably for the MDF or Phoebus tiles, but the tileset you were using was Ascii. Thats why it looked weird.

Are you sure that you genned that world after you did the settings? One way or another, I am glad that it worked out. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::