Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How to Bacon like a pro  (Read 62744 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: How to Bacon like a pro
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 03:35:07 pm »

Heh. Can I sig that?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 03:38:06 pm »

If you want to sure

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 02:32:35 pm »

By the way, what the heck is going on in that last panel? How did those dwarves get set off like that?
One of the Dwarves must've not liked the cramped conditions and attacked another Dwarf. Apparently at some point while this was happening, a loyalty cascade occurred. I locked the brass doors to see what happened next, then once the water lever had lowered the necromancer decided now was a good time to start raising Dwarf corpses.

Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Edit: It seems that the necromancer in question is loose.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:10:02 pm by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:50 pm »

By the way, what the heck is going on in that last panel? How did those dwarves get set off like that?
One of the Dwarves must've not liked the cramped conditions and attacked another Dwarf. Apparently at some point while this was happening, a loyalty cascade occurred. I locked the brass doors to see what happened next, then once the water lever had lowered the necromancer decided now was a good time to start raising Dwarf corpses.

Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

NECRO ALERT l NECRO ALERT
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 04:02:50 pm »

NECRO ALERT l NECRO ALERT
Necromancer? Quick! Get the pigs!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 04:09:23 pm »

Alert the emergency responders! A necromancer tower fell over on the thread!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

Well, it's only a month... the thread probably just went into a diabetic coma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 04:56:56 pm »

Too much delicious undead bacon to handle in a day, couldn't have been good for the thread

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 02:54:02 pm »

I want to do this, but I'm unsure of the specifics. Is drowning needed? Because I think I know how you could do this without tons of water.
1. Long drop onto your fortress' finest spikes, preferably bronze, iron, steel, or *gasp* adamantine. Kill your livestock instantly.
2. Pull a lever to lower the spikes, and let the necromancer see the animals. Let him reanimate them.
3. Pull it again to raise the spikes, re-killing the animals and blocking the necro.

Questions:
- Is drowning required so the animals are uninjured? If so, disregard everything I said :I
- You could remove the spikes and raise the drop to reduce overall injury, but that makes killing the zombies hard again, right?
- Can necromancers see through solid glass walls? Nobody agrees on this. (Or, a fortification in front of a window would work better)
My wooden badge was delicious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »

Questions:
- Is drowning required so the animals are uninjured? If so, disregard everything I said :I
Yah, unless the animal is a grazer and can be starved to death.

- You could remove the spikes and raise the drop to reduce overall injury, but that makes killing the zombies hard again, right?
???
I just send in Marksdwarves/Mace/Hammer Dwarves to do the killing.

- Can necromancers see through solid glass walls?
Noot

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 03:22:17 pm »

Military deployment = too much work

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »

Can zombies be caught in cage traps? And can you butcher them from the cage traps? (...that would require being tame though and I assume the renamation detames them.)

I think spike traps may be a better idea just on the grounds of they can also kill the zombies.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 03:42:47 pm »

well, upright traps to kill the undead after drowning could work, I think?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 05:58:11 pm »

well, upright traps to kill the undead after drowning could work, I think?
Exactly, and you don't even need to time anything, because you can have it on the same lever.

The only problem is if the spikes cause severed limbs - from Adventure Mode tests, a dead vulture and a mutilated dead vulture both gave 9 vulture meat, showing that if there is a loss when butchering mutilated corpses, it isn't that significant.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 08:46:36 pm »

The only problem is if the spikes cause severed limbs - from Adventure Mode tests, a dead vulture and a mutilated dead vulture both gave 9 vulture meat, showing that if there is a loss when butchering mutilated corpses, it isn't that significant.

The game actually keeps track of which body parts were severed and how much meat was on each, and it's all based on relative body part sizes. Body parts don't count until they pass a size threshold, and only add up integer amounts. A vulture is size 9000, whereas a water buffalo is size 1000000.

Details here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78108.msg2012244#msg2012244

Since it takes longer to butcher several dead pieces, I'd suggest keeping the body intact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4