Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: catapults across z-levels?  (Read 3155 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
catapults across z-levels?
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »

any way to mod it?  Arrows go across z levels.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: catapults across z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:47 pm »

Theoretically speaking, you COULD mod in a handheld ballista that acts exactly like the regular version, and use that. You might (MIGHT) be able to do the same with catapults, but I think your biggest problem is getting it to shoot rocks. I haven't messed around with ranged weaponry much, so I can't be certain, but I'm fairly sure catapults are impossible.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »

All siege weapons are hard coded and cannot be changed through modding.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:59 pm »

All siege weapons are hard coded and cannot be changed through modding.

that's what I was afraid of.  There's got to be a way to apply the ammunition to something else, and modify the properties.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »

There isn't. Siege ammo is completely different from weapon ammo, a totally different category, and catapults are hardcoded to launch stones anyway, which aren't even technically siege ammo.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:31 pm »

There isn't. Siege ammo is completely different from weapon ammo, a totally different category, and catapults are hardcoded to launch stones anyway, which aren't even technically siege ammo.

so there's no way to make archers say fire stones?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:54:00 pm »

You could make an ammo called "stones" that is made via a custom reaction that takes one stone to make one "stone," but the "stones" wouldn't be stones anymore.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »

You could make an ammo called "stones" that is made via a custom reaction that takes one stone to make one "stone," but the "stones" wouldn't be stones anymore.

yeah, this is the only way you would be able to do it if it was hard coded.
It wouldn't be so bad this way though, you could make the "stones" easily piled, could make a custom workshop if you wanted, ect.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:14:43 pm »

yeah, this is the only way you would be able to do it if it was hard coded.
It wouldn't be so bad this way though, you could make the "stones" easily piled, could make a custom workshop if you wanted, ect.

Now we're talking.  It might be unrealistic that the weapon that shoots rocks is easy to move, should have some sort of weight applied to it that makes it difficult to move, but if that were done, then you could have military dwarves with said weapon (who wouldn't run when attacked).  Maybe the building needs to be next to the place where the dwarf is going to fire from, and that can serve as the "catapult".

Update:
I was thinking if a dwarf could occupy a "caravan" that has the ammo stocked in it, then that could be treated as a "catapult", where a dwarf would fire stones from.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:46:45 pm by thistleknot »

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 02:10:29 pm »

If you want a movable catapult, you can create a creature with a solid glob material emission, of inorganic material.  If you want archers to fire stones, there is a historic weapon called a sling, also slingshot that fired ammon that was called bullets(where we got the name from today).  We call them slingstones today.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 12:42:26 pm »

Yeah, moveable ballista, catapults and such do work in a way, but more automated than the normal ones, and only one tile. I made a couple of turrets for my mod, that shoot bullets, acid, fire or webs... works ok, they are immobile and are brought into position by dwarves "pasturing" them. Can also be bought from caravans or created in workshop.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:14:59 pm »

You could also try something with minecarts, but that has the downside of not requiring modding.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:16:45 pm »

Traps can be made with minecarts... with the power. :) Build a circular track, put a "bladed tracksaw" or something on it, power up the track, and let it run in circles in your trap-entryway. Goblins run in, get hit by the modded minecart that has edged attacks.

Oh, and the creature-siegeengines could fire over multiple z-lvls, without an operator AND in every direction, even diagonal. Maybe I do this... "set up automated ballista/catapult" why not...

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jamesyco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:13:53 pm »

Traps can be made with minecarts... with the power. :) Build a circular track, put a "bladed tracksaw" or something on it, power up the track, and let it run in circles in your trap-entryway. Goblins run in, get hit by the modded minecart that has edged attacks.

Oh, and the creature-siegeengines could fire over multiple z-lvls, without an operator AND in every direction, even diagonal. Maybe I do this... "set up automated ballista/catapult" why not...
or make it a cannon