Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Linux] Dr. KillPatient's DF Scripts and Utilities  (Read 6973 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
[Linux] Dr. KillPatient's DF Scripts and Utilities
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:46:34 am »

All Utilities
Download a .tar containing all three scripts at DFFD.

NOTE: Removed Pastebin links, as it was inserting DOS-specific characters into the scripts, causing them to fail on UNIX-like systems. Let me know if there's another service that I can use to post individual scripts easily.

Scripts are as follows:

DF Autoget

Having played Dwarf Fortress for quite some time and semi-recently migrated to Linux, I decided to write a script that would automate the process of obtaining, installing, and managing my DF installations. I thought that it would help my fellow Linux users if I were to release it. I touched it up, commented it appropriately, and will release it under a tentative version number of 1.1.

Currently the script supports the following features:
- Automatically obtains the latest version of Dwarf Fortress by parsing Toady's release RSS.
- Skips the download step if the archive is already downloaded, and offers to remove the archive after installation is complete.
- Allows the user to chose a directory into which to extract DF (defaults to script's directory).
- Detects other DF installations in the extract directory, and offers to backup or remove them if their names conflict. Old saves can be migrated from a previous version if the user chooses to rename. This feature should allow seamless upgrades between versions, although I haven't had a chance to test it extensively.

NOTE: I strongly recommend that this script be placed in the directory in which you plan to install DF, as this reduces the need to tell it where to extract the file. You can just hit "enter" and the script will use the default option for any inquiry. In yes/no questions, the capitalized letter is the default (e.g. Y/n defaults to "yes").

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dwarf Therapist Builder
Downloads and builds Dwarf Therapist in a convenient automated manner. Can also create a startup script.

[EXOTIC] Tag Manager (obsolete as of new DF version)
Removes [PET_EXOTIC] and [MOUNT_EXOTIC] tags. Can also restore them ('f' for "forward" goes exotic -> normal, while 'b' for "backward" goes normal -> exotic). Must be placed in the same directory as your "df_linux" folder.

Troubleshooting
You may need to give a script executable permissions in order to run it. In order to do so, run this command in the terminal:
Code: [Select]
cd /path/to/script
chmod +x SCRIPT_NAME
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:11:02 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Urist MacFrench

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Linux] Dr. KillPatient's DF Scripts and Utilities
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:04:00 am »

Looks interresting... but not working for me - i have no knowledge of Linux.
I use Ubuntu 12.04.
When i launch any of these scripts, i got : "bash: ./df_autoget_v1.1.sh : /bin/bash^M : mauvais interpréteur: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type" (translate as "bad interpreter: No such file or such directory", i suppose).
Also, i have to launch them in a terminal, a double click don't do anything.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:48 am »

Bah, pastebin inserts Windows-specific characters into the scripts. Hold on a moment, I'll upload them to DFFD and the problem should be fixed.

As for double-clicking, I'm not familiar with Ubuntu's GUI, so perhaps that is not the case.

EDIT: See the top of the first post for a fixed download.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:29:05 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Urist MacFrench

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:35:58 am »

Ok, works fine :)
I still prefer Vanilla Dwarf Fortress Launcher instead of DF Autoget (easier to use, because of the GUI, and ability to manage some parts of the ini file), but Dwarf Therapist Builder is definitely something i will use (i just changed the source for Splinterz, far better than the original DT, imo).

Thank you !