Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sawmill Mod  (Read 3496 times)

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Sawmill Mod
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:14:23 pm »

I've always found building wooden constructions in vanilla DF to be excessively tedious and resource-intensive - each tree, which takes a year to grow, yields only a single construction tile (log/block). Even embarking in the middle of a dense jungle hardly helps, especially if you're using wooden beds, bins, or barrels as well. Wood should be a cheap, readily available construction material, especially when setting up a fort in the heart of a forest. I created this simple, non-intrusive mod to fix that. It was intended mostly for myself, but since as far as I can tell there are no other standalone sawmill mods like this I felt it was worth sharing.

This mod:

- Renames wooden "blocks" to "planks" (though hardcoded names can sometimes make the wording inconsistent)

- Adds a 5x3 "sawmill" workshop that
   - Makes 4-6 wooden planks from each log using the carpentry skill (ideally it would have required power to function but DF raws don't permit that)
   - Requires two mechanisms, a large serrated disc, and the mechanic skill to build. (b)uild -> (w)orkshop -> sa(W)mill

- Has a vanilla ascii version and a Phoebus' graphics set version:

- Was designed for vanilla DF 0.34.11. I don't know how well it will work with other versions or mods but unless you're using a mod that adds sawmills or alters wooden blocks it probably shouldn't conflict with anything.

Installation:

1. add to building_custom.txt:

PHOEBUS VERSION:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

VANILLA ASCII VERSION:

2. add to reaction_other.txt:

3. add under wood_template in material_template_default.txt:

4. add under mountain in entity_default.txt:

Have fun building wooden forts like the dirty elf -ahem- enterprising dwarven pioneer you are!

Credits:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:25:30 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Sawmill Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:32:14 pm »

I like it :) My own timberyard addition works way different, by keeping the amount of logs the same, OR cutting stuff into scrapwood (low value, but 2 logs from 1) but this is a really neat addition to normal DF. Makes somethings way too easy of course :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Sawmill Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:53:42 am »

Takes me back to the early days of Kobold Camp...

Dear god was it brutal to create a defendable position using heaps and heaps of wooden logs.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange