Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Navitas: The City Limits (A Mush in Development)  (Read 32417 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Navitas: The City Limits (A Mush in Development)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 05:59:01 am »

First of all, MrWiggles, do feel free to check this topic out :)

Second, I am assuming you've got an internet connection at home? If that's the case, you could always have it running on your computer, or on a spare machine that maybe you've got lying around? It's just a question of doing the correct port forwarding. It poses its problems, but still!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 06:59:59 am »

Its not very much money. About as much as netflix account per month really.

But I've been unemployed for 3 years.

Depending on the price I don't mind helping you out with costs of the server Please PM me and we can sort something out
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 02:53:14 am »

An Update.

So. I was quite surprised, and dumbfounded by the generosity presented here. I'm not really sure what to say about it, other then just thank you. Uh. Well, an old friend of mine, and who is also working on their own mush based on Bleach the anime & magna, has kindly picked up server cost for Navitas. So we're back up. I've also picked up two more developers. One is in a work exchange, where I offer my tutelage in exchange for the work on the grid. The other, is also an apprentice, and hopeful full on staffer in time. I like teaching, I've been mu*ing for over 10 years, and I was never not staffing some place, so I'm quite happy to pass on what I've learned to others.

Now for the game. Well, the current goal is still an Open House, after Character Generation is done. Some of you may be asking, why this is taking a very long time. And, it is taking a long time. My game, is pretty large, and largely its just me working on all by myself. There some things where I've out right refused to work on myself. (And if you're curious why, I can go into it.)

But beyond the fact that its large, its also something I want to do really well. I can do a pretty general, average CG in a few hours and get every thing settled. But, thats not what I want for Navitas CG.

I have an expansive game, and its CG is also expansive. So my overall goal is to make CG as self explanatory, and self contained as possible. I dont want pending players having to muck through news files to figure out what things are, or what they want to do. Its a CG process that I dont see very often, but its what I think would be best for Navitas, and its also hard thing to do, which I like. I like the personal challenge, in both the design of it and its execution all the while trying to make it pretty.

So CG workflow goes something like this:

The Gist Room: This room would a TL;DR of the games theme and inspirations. Its meant to give a quick impression that is also catchy without having to go through news files to find it.

Race Room: So, we start with the Race Building. This is sorta pre configuration before character generation actually starts. My first hurdle with this room, was condensing a ~1300 word document to 15ish sentences under 80 characters in length, and I really need them to be about 39 characters in length, so that I can fit two per line.

I want characters to really make their own super natural creatures. And I've provided a series of neat  Plug Ins to help structure this. The bitch here is that I cant just accept any ole creature. Its possible form these plug ins to just make an entirely over powered creature, or make a creature that un-themely, or something overtly offensive for the sake of being offensive, or just really fucking stupid. Though, I suppose the main reason why it must be approved, is because its a semi serious things to have your new creatures put into the game. As its not just your character. I want this creature to be larger then the character itself, and I want them to part of the Stock Races. I want to make NPC based on these things and make a whole thing with them.However, I gotta also offer a Stock Race selection too, for folks that just dont want to make their own thing, its also an easier quicker process if they pick a Stock Race too.

So yea. I had to condense this large document down into these snippet sentences to act as a selection screen. Then I have to take these sentences and manually format it into the room. The formatting isnt hard, it doesnt require a lot of skill, but it is time sink. I'm not done. Its really boring. I have few more screens like this for this room, in order for it to be done. Its where I'm out now. See, its not that I dont have the information for CG. Its presenting it to the pending players thats the issue.

Next we have the Stats, Cores, Actions and Alterations. This room is pretty generic. This is where you buy your Stats through a point buy.

Then I'm not sure. I have a couple ideas of where I want to go with this. See, Cores, are something akin to 'Skills'. They're used at the core of any Verb in the game system, but they arent restricted to just being One thing. So like you can have an Private Investigator Core, that can be an abstraction of various PI skills.  Or Ninjustu can be both sneaking/stealth and combat skill. Its more or less things that your character is good at. But some things, which matter more so mechanically cant be grouped into just one skill. So, for instance, Magic is right now broken into lots of different Specializations. I'd imagine that Super Natural creature abilities will have to have a particular Core too. Part of the reason for this, is for passive balance. You increase your Cores with XP, so a vampire, if all their vampirary skills were lumped together into one skill would be 'cheaper' to level up then if they were all spread out, but it also lets players to Spec out differently too. I also dont have, and dont want a finite Core list. I will defiantly be having a Stock Core list, as they'll defiantly be lots of common Cores that folk want.

Now these Cores arent paid with a point buy system. You get to make your own, then set your Proficiency with that skill. This does require that players not being dicks. If you have, what I determine to be an annoying/excessive number of skills, they'll require substantive Character Background justification. The same thing for Core Proficiency levels as well. The higher you want your Proficiency to be, the more justification it'll need in your Character Background.

Actions are Combat Actions (CA). You get a serious of generic ones. Like Physical CA (abstraction hand to hand fighting), or Firearms CA, and then Dodge CA and Block CA. So, if you want some sorta spiffy CA to start with, or if your personally created Race has a spiffy ability that is best represented through a Combat Action. It'd go here. This bit might be a bit large too... As every CA that you want to be custom, would be something similar to a An Advancement Application thingy. As these new CA have to programmed into the combat system by staff. But those things are always a pita and buzz kill. I want players to have spiffy unique CA out of CG. So yea. No idea how to fix that... My current thought is to just have a name, and explain what it is does in a paragraph with some sorta grace period on the game for it to be adjusted as the Player has a better understanding of the game. I dont know if that'll be functional.

Alterations, are things that Alter yourself or CA in the combat system. These will be transformations that you might have from your personal or stock race. This has a similar issue with CA, as it does need something like a An Advancement Application thingy.

The Room after that is the Wealth and Personal Holding stuff. This room should go pretty smoothly. As these are just questions about your character spending habits, what not, for the behind the scene mechanics for the Economy System. You also get to set your Wealth Level. If you want to be Rich, I'm chill with that, BUT your wealth is not a resource for yours alone to exploitative or psedo cheat the game. Your wealth is own by the Game, and can be used by The Game without your consent or prior knowledge. The richer you are, the more this'll matter and it'll need a background justification.

As for Personal Holding. This is just a descriptive paragraph that your character owns. Staff will handle the set up for that mechanically. If you want/need anything unique/special that'll need more attention as it'll need to be explained and approved, as chances are it'll need to be handle as an IoP and subjected to the same rules as IoPs in general.

After that, is the Double Check Everything room. This is where you'll write your 2+ descriptions and see that double check everything then wait to be approved. Hopefully, I'll be able to get you approved pretty quickly.  Unless you want lots of special stuff, then that'll take me a bit.

So yea. Now, beyond that, I've also changed how I wanted to tackle how to do CG. Back in July, I thought I needed the soft coded News System up and running first, and spent a fair amount of time and more false starts then I'd like to admit before I moved on with what I have now.

Also, would anyone wanna hang out on the mu*? There is stuff on there! But... I view making that stuff visable to players low priority. Though you'd be welcome to walk whatever part of the grid there is and yammer at me or at others.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:01:00 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 04:32:43 am »

An update.

Maybe these will become more regular.

Race Room, is doneish. I'm looking at future compatibility, sorta of issue. To get the type of formatting that I was going for, takes a fair bit of time to manually adjust. I figure in the future, I'd need to change this room offering. So I want to make a snippet of code, to format into something like what I want. And that'll be challenging to figure out, probably.

I'm currently working on CG, is the TL;RD break down of what CG is. Its on its third or forth rewrite. My first attempts, I tried to write it in informal language, but that was jiving. So, now its more formal and that was easier to get what I wanted to say out.

So, I also been helping my Work Exchange person with her pending mush, based on the anime/magna/whats it called A Certain Magical Index & A Certain Scientific Index. There already been teh drama with the game, and it hasnt really started it. I've been trying to watch the two anime series to be more familiar with the source materiel to offer better insight and more informed opinion. So, I think that is going well. She has already started to work on the Orange grid.

These picture below, are the room parents for the different grid areas. My goal was to try use the color theme from the City Seal for Orange and Anaheim, and for Borrows and Disneyland, I tried to get something to invoke what they are. The database reference numbers wont be visable to players. Thats just there for staff connivence.

Orange.

Now this image below shows something, that is basically a toy with the exit name.

And we can see the room name, correlates with the exit name in the previous picture. If you change the color or name of this room, it'll automatically adjust the exits representation too.

You may have also noted that the two other picture of Orange, have an addendum to their room name, The Block. That is a sub zone. Its a large area within the Orange Zone. So instead of having to deal with an incredible long room name, I made a small system to better help manage that. So its a separate piece of info. It changes the data displayed in a few places.

Anaheim.

Disneyland.

The green border at the bottom is suppose to be grass, with flowers. And they change each time the room is looked at.

The Burrows.

The Burrows room parent, is like 85-90 percent done. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:35:14 am by MrWiggles »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »

An update.

So, the household is down to one computer. We had three, but two of them took a shit, at the same time. So yea. I get the short stick.

Thats going to be corrected in the nearish features.

haileyquinade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Bleach Memento Mori
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 04:39:56 pm »

Finally got to see the thread. Made an account come here and I wanted to say, it's wonderful to see attention and positive feedback for Navitas! *cheers* A good number of page views is really encouraging. Please if you have comments or questions, put them up. Feedback and Questions can really help things be seen from unconsidered perspectives, or address something might have incidentally been skipped over. I know Wiggles loves to broach subjects the entire breadth of his long worked on and thought on project, so please, take the invitation and lay those thoughts out. Pleeeeeeease and thank you!!
~~<3 Hailey Quinn @~>~~

mementomori.mudhosting.net 7700 - Shirayuki
navitas.mudhosting.net 2975 - Minuet

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 05:00:09 pm »

Ptw

I'm really wanting to play this ! Do you have a website up at all just details some features and what's going on at all ?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 07:58:26 pm »

Ptw

I'm really wanting to play this ! Do you have a website up at all just details some features and what's going on at all ?
Front page lays out everything of note. And please ask questions.
As for a webpage. I dun have one. I've gone back and forth about making one. I know its more web presence, which is good, but I dont know its return on investment.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:16:22 pm by MrWiggles »

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:03 pm »

This seems really interesting. I've never been one for PvP, but I could get into something where I could just hide and , idunno, craft or something. A brownie, maybe.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 12:40:05 am »

This seems really interesting. I've never been one for PvP, but I could get into something where I could just hide and , idunno, craft or something. A brownie, maybe.
Its not PvP, in the traditional Mud sense. As in you arent strictly trying to kill the other character. Its more about you two telling an interesting story, while while trying to see who can kick who ass. You are also trying to get your goals, over their goals.

Charater death can happen, and it can happen from other characters killing yours, but that generally requires one party being a dick or stupidity.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 09:51:39 pm »

An update.

I'm losing my internet in the near future, for an unknown amount of time. Hopefully, a short amount of time.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 06:10:05 am »

Awha man not good, how badly will this effect work ?

Also how have things been going so far ?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 03:14:46 pm »

Well, I cant do any coding work, or talk to the two folks helping me.

I should be able to still work on the Anaheim Grid.

I have to rewrite a design document for the Alteration System. (Where Transformations, Combat Stances, Equipment, Buffs & Debuffs are.) I lost my google account and all my google drive documents...

You know looking over this, it sounds like a really boring Drama script.

Combat will be open for testing soon, assuming I get this design document rewritten before I cant anymore.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 05:19:38 pm »

An Update.

So, I'm without internet, and here at McDee, doing stuff that needs to be done. I'm gonna try and scrap out a bit of time for this too.

Far as game stuff goes, I've been reading rpg books for structure and presentation on character generation.

That's been neat, and helpful, and its percolating away upstairs.

Though I've been thinking of maybe making use of Feats, but not in the d20 sense. In d20 systems in general, a Feat describe what your Character Could do, and your Character couldnt do the Feat verb without having the feat.

I dont really want the Feat to be that for Navitas. What I want is the ability to provide more structure. THere a lot of vagueness, that happens on rp mushes. There lots of vagueness to character limitations.

So my thoughts toward Feats have been more along the lines of 'especially awesome at' type verbs. While you don't have the Feat you can still perform the Verbs that are under the Feats, having the Feat means that you're good and invested at that Verb.

It'd be something for players to sink XP into and can be handed out as rewards from Staff.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Random Bit of Mush History
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:55 pm »

So the stuff below, is a spontaneous bit of mu* history, with the branching out of tinymud into Penn and Rhost.
I find this interesting, and its not really recorded anywhere.

<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar says, "I was on Rhostshyl (the founding mush that used Rhost)... we started making it publically available around 1994/1995"
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar says, "I wasn't even the original coder of it Wigs"
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar says, "origial coder was Nyctasia"
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar says, "originally was TinyMUD, we put in the MUSE parser and syntax handle, it sucked, we migrated it to MUSH parser keeping in the majority of the MUSE flexability (like the power system and such), and it kinda mutated from there."
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar says, "for the MUSH parser we took a switched context parser like the original TinyMUSH 1.x had, modified it heavilly, worked in our own hash algos, and went from there"
<Hardcode> Taladan says, "Jopsy kind of did his own thing branching from the original mud code"
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar was a founding member of DragonMUD :)
<Hardcode> Ari says, "...and ENIAC"
<Hardcode> Taladan says, "I KNEW I'd seen your name before!"
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar says, "and XenoMUD"
<Hardcode> Anarchist Orange Wiggles says, "wasnt Penn in early 90s known as DuneMush?"
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar grins to Taladan "I remember you, you started a mud and were looking for wizards at the time, didn't hire me because you were full up :)"
<Hardcode> Ashen-Shugar says, "was Amber I believe?"

<Public> Eratl says, "Lydia and I got along alright."
<Public> Eratl says, "She probably wouldn't remember me. I'm okay with that."
<Public> Taladan says, "No...Lydia definitely knew her stuff.  There are a lot of 'big' names though that honestly didn't act like rockstars.  Jav, Raevenos, Trispis...what was the lady that helped/wizzed here for a long time with them?"
<Public> Taladan says, "She was extremely nice"
<Public> Senile Studmuffin Ashen-Shugar says, "she got along with most people Eratl.  We just had a personality conflict."
<Public> Ninja floaty brain qa'toq says, "wait, there was a lady version of Raev?"
<Public> Taladan says, "I can't remember her name for the life of me now...if I said it most of the older ones here would know it.  Mike and Walker for sure"
<Public> Senile Studmuffin Ashen-Shugar says, "I just wish she would have accepted that gdbm ate TinyMUSH3, the one thing that drove me nuts with her above all else."

<Public> Senile Studmuffin Ashen-Shugar grins to Taladan "lydia... that's a name I've not heard in a while... I swear, Amberyl absolutely LOATHED me... and the feeling was mutual."
<Public> Chicken Boo Wiggles says, "What was the basis for that?"
<Public> Mike says, "She got to know him, Wiggles."
<Public> Eratl says, "Pow"
<Public> Senile Studmuffin Ashen-Shugar says, "she said Rhostshyl stole her code, demanded I turn over RhostMUSH to her so she can incorporate it into TinyMUSH3, then got pissy when I refused to since it wasn't based on TinyMUSH 2.2.4 like she kept saying..."
<Public> Taladan says, "Ash - tbh, let's admit to ourselves and each other that Lydia is a brilliant person, but tres quirky when it comes to interactions with other people"
<Public> Quasar says, "The same applies to many people in this hobby :)"
<Public> Taladan says, "Quasar - you've never had a conversation with her, have ya?"
<Public> Senile Studmuffin Ashen-Shugar grins to Taladan "Lydia was brilliant and I'd never take that away from her, my loathing of her was personality only."
<Public> Quasar says, "I know her only by name and reputation."
<Public> Taladan says, "and Mike - I know, I had set out to do it at one point then realized that I wasn't quallified enough"
<Public> Eratl says, "Glad to hear your loathing wasn't professional."
Pages: 1 [2] 3