Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: /r/Dwarffortress's Succession Fort  (Read 6740 times)

Lixels

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
/r/Dwarffortress's Succession Fort
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:46:50 pm »

Link to reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/x0gpx/succession_lets_fucking_do_this_already/

I know there are a decent amount of people interested in a succession fort, so let's get with it already. Here is a fucking save file for us lazy ass dwarves. If you don't want to use that save file, no problem! Make your own save, but the love of fuck upload that shit so others can play it too! So, which of you cocksuckers is first?

Year 1 - Geofferic [Completed]
Year 2 - CaptainArchmage [Awaiting Save]
Year 3 - Dimezz
Year 4 - Lixels
Year 5 - Geofferic
Year 6 - Lilgell2
Year 7 - Julian1986

Current save file: [In use]

All of these are also being saved in a shared DropBox folder, if you want in on that as well, just PM me on reddit, with your email ID. :)
I'll upload story in chunks of three because that seems easier to do.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:50:45 am by Lixels »

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /r/Dwarffortress's Succession Fort
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »

(copied from Reddit)

Dear Mum,

We arrived in the deep of winter. The river was frozen. The ground was frozen. My hands were frozen. Still, as Chief Miner for the Expedition to Construct the Grey Castle of Skulls (I know, it's a mouthful - and I didn't name the place!), I went to work carving out temporary facilities. I can't help but think that the settlement overseer who chose this location did so out of spite: Moldath, our expedition leader (and broker and bookkeeper and etc) let slip that we intended to build a massive castle above ground and prove that dwarfs can live solidly as the other races do. This site is not only cold half the year, it's got no trees! We brought two axes! Iden, our carpenter and woodsdwarf, has sat around looking glum the entire year. The only spark of life in him was when he tore down the wagon to make the three beds we've got.

That's right, three beds for seven dwarfs. I fear I dug out the dormitory too large. The farm is working well, tho, and Thob has been doing it all - planting, harvesting, brewing and cooking. He's a real wonder and he hasn't complained once.

The year was mostly uneventful. We got started on the inner keep walls, but mostly just staked out the layout. I've taken to some masonry work. Moldath insisted on a throne in her office and I did my best. I think having so much responsibility has gone to her head. A throne! Oh, and did I mention she had me put in a private hallway from her office to the kitchens? Indeed! Next she'll demand a private bedroom and confiscate a bed, no doubt.

Despite our hardships and meagre living standards, we received several immigrants in late summer. I was pleased to see that the settlement overseer sent us some dwarfs with relevant skills. Two hunters (turned out we needed them!), a siege engineer and some planters. They were very welcome, but our food supplies started stretching thin and the grumbling about sharing three beds got much louder.

In late autumn a group of giant wolverines and a Wolverine-woman started harassing us. One of the immigrants, Sibrek Bodiceclutch, was struck down by one of the giant wolverines. We named the vile beast Beardednotch. Unib Kelakam, one of the hunters, killed the foul thing. Hopefully she and Kubuk Inodbunem (the other hunter - a lovelier pair of ladies I've never met) can drive off or kill the rest of the monsters before another dwarf is killed. Please pass on news of Sibrek's death to his mother. (Not to speak ill of the dead, but he was a real lecher!)

About the time that Sibrek was killed a few more immigrants arrived. Some fishery dwarfs, a peasant and a weaver. No sooner had I set about making a coffin for old Sibrek than that newly arrived peasant, Zon Dodokarel, got quite moody and kicked me out of the masonry facilities. I've no idea what he's building, but I wish he'd hurry up. The wolverines keep trying to get at Sibrek's body.

We also received a trade caravan from home right there at the end of autumn. (I did get your letter - so glad to hear about dad's promotion!) It was a good thing, too. We needed the supplies after two waves of immigrants who didn't think to bring a stitch of food or equipment with them. Perhaps that's more of the settlement overseer's spite? Our resident stoneworker, Thob Sharmeng (you remember Thob - she and I went through that experimental phase together), has been cranking out mugs as beautiful as herself. Those mugs really turned some heads with the trade caravan. I admit a bit of jealousy at the attention some of the caravan dwarfs were giving her. Those mugs bought everything we got off of them, tho, and I don't doubt that her reluctant acceptance of that attention helped seal the deal.
Well, with winter's arrival again I'm sending this letter back out with the traders. I hope it finds you well! My love to all the other Shorastnicats!

Love,

Your daughter Zulban

PS: Please give these notes to Urist McLixels!

My Save  https://dl.dropbox.com/s/04ygrc47lwyimnn/save.rar?dl=1

My D_Init  https://www.dropbox.com/s/atw2goenxjthphc/d_init.txt

My Init  https://www.dropbox.com/s/6v95asthz0pixw3/init.txt
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:52:29 pm by Geofferic »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:57:35 pm »

Link to reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/x0gpx/succession_lets_fucking_do_this_already/

I know there are a decent amount of people interested in a succession fort, so let's get with it already. Here is a fucking save file for us lazy ass dwarves. If you don't want to use that save file, no problem! Make your own save, but the love of fuck upload that shit so others can play it too! So, which of you cocksuckers is first?

Year 1 - Geofferic [Completed]
Year 2 - ???

Current save file: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/04ygrc47lwyimnn/save.rar?dl=1

All of these are also being saved in a shared DropBox folder, if you want in on that as well, just PM me on reddit, with your email ID. :)
I'll upload story in chunks of three because that seems easier to do.

I'm interested in taking a turn. Whenever the next one is.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dimez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:14 pm »

sent a message on reddit to you, looking forward to it

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:25:00 pm »

Alrighty, time to get going with this Fortress. I am dwarfing myself as CaptainMana, Archmagus, who seems to be a brewer, cook, and farmer. I'm dwarfing Geofferic as the expedition leader, but this can be changed.

FYI, I don't have a Reddit account.

I'll Dwarf other people as they sign up, either on the reddit thread or this one. They should probably specify their dwarf profession (in-game, such as "weaponsmith"), what they want their dwarf's profession to be listed as (it can be anything, like "Legendary Treehugger"), and what they want their dwarf's name to be (if not their username).

As #2 on the turn list, its time to take a good !!XX+<<+Roleplaying+>>+XX!! dump.

Journal Entry of CaptainMana, Archmagus of Belrimtar Nekol, 2nd Moonstone.

Today, Geofferic handed in his resignation as commanderer of Outpost Belrimtar Nekol. As there existed no succession plan, I am taking interrim command of the outpost in my capacity as Archmagus.

Belrimtar Nekol is a hole in the ground with some rooms and a trade depot, but it needs a lot more development.

Firstly, we have only three beds, pieced together from the wagon we arrived in. Goefferic has purchased a large quantity of wood from the caravan, so we can finally start making some more beds.

We only have one miner, who appears to be involved in building a structure on the surface. I'm going to put that right and try to recruit more miners.

We've had one casualty so far, but we seem to have a sarcophagus ready in the stockpile.

We have no doctors and no one designated as Chief Medical Dwarf. I am going to take up that position for the time being.

We have no stone. How do we have no stone? Why do we have no stone? This is the most shameful thing I've seen thus far.

The fortress is ridiculously open to the outside and utterly undefended. Competent accountancy on the part of Geofferic has me assured that, barring nearby necromancers, we should be reasonably same from goblin sieges for the time being. However, I am going to try to finish the defensive structure on the surface and get us some proper defences. I'm also going to get the surface structure rebuilt from rock salt blocks, as that will give us more stone to work with.

I am ordering the immediate downward expansion of the fortress.

The Archmagus' Journal, 4th Moonstone

I've called off all hunting activities on the surface, as there isn't really much to hunt up there, and we have more pressing concerns. I've also determined that the other miner is actually building something in the mason's workshop.

The brook is frozen, so once we dig down I will try to install a proper water main. As it is, we have some ninety drinks or so, but that isn't enough, and if someone gets injured, we need water.

The Archmagus' Journal, 5th Moonstone

Unemployment is at an unacceptably high level. I'm going to remedy this by having some farming workshops built, while we wait for digging to proceed.

I have picked Kol Emathtosid as Militia Commander.

The Archmagus' Journal, 8th Moonstone of the Year 6

Zon has finished his artifact! It is called Siboshokang, "The Deteriorated Yor", a hematite cabinet. It has been valued at 40,800 Urists.

The Archmagus' Journal, 19th Moonstone of the Year 6

With the mason's workshop now free, Zon has set to work producing more rock salt blocks. I am going to remove the rough foundations on the surface and replace them with blocks. I've also ordered covers to be built over the entrances to the fortress.

The farm is now much more busy. I've recruited more hands, so there are around five dwarves working on it, including myself. This is satisfactory enough that I might switch to brewing, but we have no barrels and rock salt makes for terrible pots.

The Archmagus' Journal, 3rd Opal of the Year 6

Our miner has begun cutting out permanent accommodations beneath the surface, likely serving as workshops. We've hit some huge magnetite deposits down there.

I've determined why we only have one miner, which is because we only have one pick. Whoever picked our supplies will have a lot of explaining to do, if and when I find out who they are.

The Archmagus' Journal, 17th Opal of the Year 6

The fortification on the surface is taking shape now. I've employed the remaining section of the population in its construction, and it should hopefully be done by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:21:46 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:49 pm »

The Archmagus' Log, 17th Obsidian of the Year 6

The first year of Belrimtar Nekol is nearly at a close. I have not walled off the fortification, and we'll need to build some controls to the sliding cover within the fortress before we can do that.

The Archmagus' End of Year Log, 28th Obsidian of the Year 6

Here in the Outpost of Belrimtar Nekol, it is New Year's eve! I've compiled a summary my interim command thus far.

Our population is 20 dwarves, with 1 miner, 1 woodworker, 1 stoneworker, 2 rangers, 3 craftsdwarves, 1 noble/administrator, 2 children, 2 fishery workers, 6 farmers, and 1 engineer.

We have 9 animals.

We have 22 units of meat, 48 units of plants, 33 seeds, 50 drinks, and 49 other food items (mostly prepared meals and milk).

Our current wealth stands at 53,723 Urists, of which 41,590 Urists is in furniture, 9,650 Urists is in other objects, 1,783 Urists is in Architecture, and 700 Urists are on display.

Our imported wealth stands at 19,688 Urists. We have exported 490 Urists worth of goods thus far.

Our settlement has made considerable progress, and we have dug down and prepared some workshop and barracks space in the stone. The aboveground fortress is complete, and we are installing mechanisms to control the gates.

With that, its time for me to hit the barrel and !!XX+<<+PARTY HARD+>>+XX!!

Lixels

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:25:19 am »

The Archmagus' Log, 17th Obsidian of the Year 6

The first year of Belrimtar Nekol is nearly at a close. I have not walled off the fortification, and we'll need to build some controls to the sliding cover within the fortress before we can do that.

The Archmagus' End of Year Log, 28th Obsidian of the Year 6

Here in the Outpost of Belrimtar Nekol, it is New Year's eve! I've compiled a summary my interim command thus far.

Our population is 20 dwarves, with 1 miner, 1 woodworker, 1 stoneworker, 2 rangers, 3 craftsdwarves, 1 noble/administrator, 2 children, 2 fishery workers, 6 farmers, and 1 engineer.

We have 9 animals.

We have 22 units of meat, 48 units of plants, 33 seeds, 50 drinks, and 49 other food items (mostly prepared meals and milk).

Our current wealth stands at 53,723 Urists, of which 41,590 Urists is in furniture, 9,650 Urists is in other objects, 1,783 Urists is in Architecture, and 700 Urists are on display.

Our imported wealth stands at 19,688 Urists. We have exported 490 Urists worth of goods thus far.

Our settlement has made considerable progress, and we have dug down and prepared some workshop and barracks space in the stone. The aboveground fortress is complete, and we are installing mechanisms to control the gates.

With that, its time for me to hit the barrel and !!XX+<<+PARTY HARD+>>+XX!!

Please upload your save file as well, so we can continue to move on.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:57:58 am »

Was the goal to play up to the end of the year? I just finished the year that had not been finished (in most* succession games it has), and was planning to take it onto the end of year 7 (basically one more year, which isn't very long as FPS stands at 100). I can drop off the save now though if people want.

*Subject to creative interpretation.

Lixels

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:48 am »

Ahh, sorry, I was under the impression that you had finished the year. Please finish year 7. :)

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:23:54 pm »

Year that had not been finished?  I saved the game just after Winter started and the game starts in Winter.  IE, I played exactly one year and saved it.  I don't care if you play two, but unless you only played a few months, you've played a whole year.  (Kinda hard to tell from your write up.)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 05:55:24 pm »

Year that had not been finished?  I saved the game just after Winter started and the game starts in Winter.  IE, I played exactly one year and saved it.  I don't care if you play two, but unless you only played a few months, you've played a whole year.  (Kinda hard to tell from your write up.)

OK sorry, I didn't realise that. Normally, the games run from 1st Granite to 1st Granite. I basically posted the logs from Winter until 1st Granite, or 3 months.

Edit: Does this world really have no elves? What about humans and goblins?  ???
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:02:12 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 07:44:20 pm »

The Archmage's Log, 7th Felsite of the Year 7

Today, I finally found my journal, which had been missing since the new year's festivities.

We have secured the entrance, and the levers are located in the new barracks 3 Zeds below the surface. I've called in some thread and cloth I found on the surface - why do people leave this stuff lying around?

The Spring immigration has increased our population to 40. We have no more wood for beds, so I think I will order the new stairwell dug out and see if we hit a cavern on the way down.

I ended up ordering large rock salt pots made anyway, because we were running low on barrels and those are needed for the dwarven syrup anyways.

Mana's Journal, 22nd Felsite of the Year 7

Yesterday, iteb Sarveshkol withdrew from society and claimed a Clothier's Shop I had built for him. He's now working on something in there.

I'm finishing the walls off around what will likely be the Castle. Afterwards I will see how much further we can spread out across the surface, at least to keep the population employed. I'm also considering building a second mason's shop to expedite manufacturing, which will give me an opportunity to move production into the newly carved out fortress area.

:D 8) :D DWARVEN !!XX+<<+FASHION+>>+XX!! UPDATE  :D 8) :D
Special Issue, 26th Felsite of the Year 7

iteb Sarveshkol has finished his project, it is called Rikkirkastaz, "The Whiskered Conjunction", a pig tail fiber thong!

This is a pig tail fiber thong. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pig tail fiber. It is made from pig tail fiber cloth. On the item is an image of acacias in pink jade. I have nothing else to add.

Note: We got a trader in the last immigration wave, who is just sitting around the map as a "friendly". It occurs to me that since this is a bug, and it can be fixed with DFhack or something, I would do that if I DFhack were compatible with my system. I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:53:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:41:11 pm »

The Archmage's Journal, 8th Malachite of the Year 7

We're through to mid-summer! The major corridors I designated have been finished. We're also finishing the southern part of the Citadel, which should later serve as another entrance to the fortress. In the meantime, we have migrants, giving us our third miner, and an accomplished mason as well as an architect, a gem cutter, a highly qualified farmer, and a qualified dyer.

I'm ordering our miners to dig out the water main, and then start work on the stairwell.

Note: Apparently, the roleplaying in these posted journals isn't up to the standard I would have liked. To inject some more !!POWAH!! I'm forming some squads now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:59:51 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

We have two new squads! They are The Earthen Cradles, lead by our Militia Commander, and The Order of the Thong, lead by CaptainMana.

Journal Entry, 6th Galena of the Year 7

Today, I have formed our first militia squads. They are The Earthen Cradles, lead by Kol Emathtsd, the Militia Commander, containing some of our hunters, and The Order of the Thong, lead by myself and containing iteb Sarveshkol, the maker of the squad-themed artifact.

The foundations of the Castle have been completed. I am going to call in all the animals before we seal ourselves off for the winter. I've finished carving of the dining hall's drinking hall, and am going to have the plumbing installed along with some reservoirs.

The Archmage's Journal, 1st Hematite of the Year 7

Towards the end of summer, we suffered a combined shortage of food and alcohol. Apparently, the farmers had been asked to plant pig tails during the summer, but those were not planted because we had run out of seeds. At the same time, edible food stocks dwindled. By the time I had finished ordering the first stage of the plumbing carved out, we were down to a few units of drinks and around 20 plants. With the citadel finished, I ordered the gates sealed to prevent goblins getting in. I also ordered the planting of a new crop of plump helmets, and the processing of all other plants into drinks. Fortunately, we managed to finish a drain into the caverns and add in cisterns before the drinks shortage became serious, and by that time the massive plump helmet harvest had begun.

The controls to the plumbing are in what is to become the dining hall. The rock salt lever on the north side of the statue controls the input floodgate, and the sylvite lever on the south side of the statue will completely drain out the plumbing for expansion and improvement. The drain hatch is located in the caverns, above an underground lake. There's a floor grate above the hatch for extra security. I was hoping to smooth out the plumbing completely, but we had to set the system up quickly. The dining hall is now being smoothed out, although we still have no tables and chairs in there. There are four plumbed-in places for wells in there, and two cisterns.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:13:21 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 09:31:40 pm »

No, I haven't forgotten this!

The Archmagus' Journal, 16th Sandstone

Today we had more migrants! The fortress of Belrimtar Nekol is now up to around 54 dwarves. During the migration wave, we experienced a Giant Wolverine attack, which resulted in the expansion of both The Earthen Cradles and The Order of the Thong. However, there were no casualties and the wolverine fled. This appears to have been a great improvement over the last attack.

In order to guard the south gate, I've pastured all our cats and birds at that entrance. Hopefully this should alert us to intruders.

General Mining Report - Stairwell and Lower Layers

We have finished the first stairwell tower, which goes down to 2 Zeds above the roof of the first cavern. I have determined that there are silver deposits in the deep, but the layers containing Diorite and Schist seem to be disturbingly free of ores of other minerals. The caverns yield Galena, Native Silver, and Tetrahedrite with a marble layer further down. The marble will be useful when we hit magma, but we'll need to firstly secure a source of fuel. It is likely we'll need to strip the caverns for trees, or come spring, set up some tree farms in the diorite layers.

Early Winter Report by CaptainMana, 17th Moonstone of the Year 7

Winter is upon us, with the usual snowstorms and visitors. The caravan arrived, bringing with it a massive supply of wood, food, gems, cloth, leather, some booze, and some pieces of metal. I traded the large supply of rock salt mugs and other trinkets we had manufactured for all of the wood, metal, leather, booze, and most of the food. I also purchased a few more picks and a few weapons, since we won't have access to a large quantity of metal yet. Geofferic has negotiated the supply of further wood, food, metal, and gems with the next embark along with ore and fuel.

As the caravan arrived, we were assaulted by Giant Keas! These monstrous creatures sought to swipe the surface for unattended objects. However, they were mostly brought down by the caravan guards. I then ordered a complete dump of all items left lying around on the surface, such as gems, bolts, ore and Giant Keas. These were left in the meeting hall, with the Giant Keas butchered shortly afterwards. We now have a lot more meat. I'm also going to have everything else from the depot dumped in there until we find somewhere else to put it.

I've also ordered the construction of a monument outside the main castle. I've placed the cornerstones for some surface structures, but before those are finished we should really put up more defensive walls.

The dining hall is mostly smoothed out, though we are still greatly lacking in chairs and tables. The next overseer will probably need to start making more tables out of something other than rock salt.

The Archmagus' Journal, 7th Opal of the Year 7

Today we finished the monument. I've attached a suitable cover to the top of the structure, which can be made to retract with the addition of suitable mechanisms. I am unsure of the exact use it will find, but its there if someone needs it. I'm going to be stepping down at the end of this year as overseer, and in my remaining capacity I will have more housing cut out further down.
Pages: [1] 2 3