Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Need advice on interior drawbridge pit

(1/3) > >>

Wazootyman:
So I'm making an interior pit spanned by a drawbridge for my entrance, and I was wondering what I should do with it. The options I see are:
Deep, empty pit (fall damage)
Water (drowning)
Lava (burning)
Traps (chopping)
Animals (chewing)

Or some combination thereof.I'd rather not use lava, as I have some annoying lava beasties and I don't want a long magma tube going through my fort. Also, I'd like to be able to drain it.The empty pit seems low-maintenance, but how deep will it need to be to ensure a kill? I'll need an opening at the bottom to allow scavenging, but it seems like anything that lived could use it to escape. I read on the wiki that spikes at the bottom don't increase fall damage.  :(Water seems good, but some opponents will just be able to swim, where they would frighten dwarves trying to get out. Also the scavenging would be pretty inconvenient. On the plus side, it could double as a drowning room...Traps would be nice, but expensive.A bunch of dogs would be pretty funny, but the first bronze colossus that falls down there would most likely be the end of that.  :(What types of pits do you guys recommend?

Torak:
quote:Originally posted by Wazootyman:
<STRONG>I read on the wiki that spikes at the bottom don't increase fall damage.   :(</STRONG>Hah, tell that to the skewered bodies.

Greiger:
I vote 8 story drop with adamantine spikes on the bottom, with war dogs, tame elephants and gophers at the bottom, with a backup floodgate to water for if things go wrong and to top it all off, a collapsible roof above the pit just in case things go horribly wrong.It's a little overkill sure, but why use a handgun to kill an ant when you can use an AK?

Lazy_Perfectionist:
For simplicities sake, you could try the deep deep pit, with a drawbridge (at the bottome) at one end for access and smashing power.[ December 31, 2007: Message edited by: Lazy_Perfectionist ]

Skanky:
Deep pit alone doesn't seem to guarantee a kill. Histories of felony and murder features a 10-story drop, and at least one dwarf has survived that drop. Wooden spikes attached to a lever (elsewhere) are both relatively cheap (just need wood and rocks) and reusable. Even if they survive the fall, they won't survive being repeatedly spiked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version