Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Trading Question

(1/1)

ColonelTEE3:
This is my first time playing since the whole new version, and in the last version, you could do a little trick to get the most out of your goods without knowing thier value (before you had a broker) using this formula:Offer to buy everything they have, and start with only offering them one piece of something your willing to trade. Obviously they'll usually decline, so you add another item on, and see if they accept. Do this over and over until they finally accept. If you run out of things to offer them for trading, start taking away things that you wanted to buy until they accept. For example:They have:
-Horse meat
-Rope reed cloth
-Maple Cage (with horse inside)You have:
-Obsidian earings
-Obsidian toy anvil
-Obsidian swordYou offer to buy the horse meat, rope reed cloth, and maple cage, and in exchange you give them the earings. They decline, you offer the toy anvil on top of it, they decline, you offer the sword, they accept.Or, they decline all of it, so you decide not to buy the caged horse, and you give them the earings, anvil, and sword, for their meat and cloth, and they accept.This was how i traded before i knew what the value of things were. But now that moods and levels of patience have been added, i don't know if this will still work. If i do this, over and over, will they get annoyed and just leave? Or can i continue to use this formula?

BurnedToast:
they will eventually get annoyed and leave.however you can just give a dwarf 1 point of appraiser when you embark, then use him as the broker and he will see the prices right from the start.be warned, this version they want to make some profit - how much depends on your brokers skills. Untrained it seems to be around 30% - 40% or so, but with alot of skills it seems to be 10% or lower.

RPB:
quote:Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>If i do this, over and over, will they get annoyed and just leave? Or can i continue to use this formula?</STRONG>For some reason, possibly a bug, merchants never ever seem to get annoyed if you proposed a trade which gives them negative profit. However, if you propose a trade that they break even or make a relatively small profit on, there is a chance (a very high chance, if your outpost broker doesn't have any diplomacy skills) they won't accept your trade. This does annoy them (again, especially if you use an unskilled broker) and can cause them to leave in as few as 3-4 attempts. So you can use your method safely until you find the break-even point, but a deal where the traders break even is not one they're likely to accept so you'll have to add goods to your offer anyhow. And you'll have to jack up their profit margins quickly, because at that point they're going to get annoyed with you in short order.By and large, trying to minimize your cost is pretty futile without a fairly skilled broker, as the merchants will tend to haggle for higher prices anyway and unless you've got a skilled haggler you'll have to cave in or risk them leaving without making a deal.[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: RPB ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version