Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trading for Dwarves  (Read 4421 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Trading for Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 11:03:05 am »

We're not talking about good dwarves offering to come to your fortress in exchange for stuff, we're talking about the Mountainhomes sending you someone. What should the normal deal from the king be? "We'll take this crap you've got and I'll send you a dwarf like you asked for?" "Send me X amount of tribute annually and give him/her what s/he wants and you can have the dwarf?" Something in between?

That said, high-skilled dwarves should also occasionally come to your fort, let them know why they're useful, and offer to stick around and work if their requests are met. These requests could vary from "A bed to rest my head and abundant work to do!" to "I want a great bedroom, a private dining room, servants, my own workshop, a warbeast to follow me around and another tied up in my room, and stop trading with the humans!" depending on the dwarf's skills and personality. If these conditions are not met, the dwarf will get very unhappy and, once emigration is implemented, perhaps leave.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 06:49:07 pm »

I think there should be a draft and a salary cap.

Well, not really, but I could see a game inspired by Dwarf Fortress – a space-base game, perhaps – having Draft Day vs. all the other space bases and it being a ton of fun.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 08:22:58 am »

Well if we're talking about the Mountainhomes sending some dudes to fix shit, then maybe a tribute proportional to the dwarf's skill would be appropriate. I don't understand what you're saying though. Isn't "the Mountainhomes sending you someone" basically "dwarves coming in exchange for stuff"? Maybe there's a distinction between you offering things to the dwarf (i.e., work benefits) or the Mountainhome getting free shit (i.e., tribute), but it's basically the same concept, isn't it?

I just had this idea: Colonization. The Dwarven Crown would sometimes send a Governor-General and some dwarves from the Mountainhome to help aid the colonization process of the mountainhome, right? Or something like that. Basically, they're like migrants, except they have to be there and they're relegate positions of power. They're mayors, chiefs of staff and so on, right? Sometimes they screw around too. Now, I'm not saying this is a good idea at all. I think we should stick with the current one before jumping into this one, but I also think that this one deserves another looking into. I'll try to gather my thoughts in a bit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 09:22:01 am »

The idea is that you'd ask for a dwarf and pay some price to get the dwarf. The question is what SOP should be for the payment--a one-time "fee"? A minimum level of annual tribute? A certain level of housing and other amenities for the dwarf? Some combination thereof? Obviously, this would be scaled in, uh, scale based on the skill of the dwarf (a novice cheesemaker might only cost a couple of mugs, but a legendary mason may take masterwork silver serrated disks or somesuch), and the SOP wouldn't have much effect on dwarves who independently decide to come and help your fort for a price.

Colonization: I'd be interested to hear this idea, specifically how it differs from the current system in game terms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 01:32:01 pm »

Well if we're talking about the Mountainhomes sending some dudes to fix shit, then maybe a tribute proportional to the dwarf's skill would be appropriate. I don't understand what you're saying though. Isn't "the Mountainhomes sending you someone" basically "dwarves coming in exchange for stuff"? Maybe there's a distinction between you offering things to the dwarf (i.e., work benefits) or the Mountainhome getting free shit (i.e., tribute), but it's basically the same concept, isn't it?

I just had this idea: Colonization. The Dwarven Crown would sometimes send a Governor-General and some dwarves from the Mountainhome to help aid the colonization process of the mountainhome, right? Or something like that. Basically, they're like migrants, except they have to be there and they're relegate positions of power. They're mayors, chiefs of staff and so on, right? Sometimes they screw around too. Now, I'm not saying this is a good idea at all. I think we should stick with the current one before jumping into this one, but I also think that this one deserves another looking into. I'll try to gather my thoughts in a bit.

While I wouldn't call it "colonization", I really like the idea of having an overseer coming now and then and making sure that you do what you are supposed to. By impressing the overseer, you could have dwarves or items sent to your fort. If you fail in your mission, you'd face various repercussions. In a similar manner, you could have priests from your civilizations religion come and make sure that your inhabitants are not guilty of heresy. For this to be meaningful you would need to have starting scenarios, of course.

Ass_Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 01:53:23 am »

The idea is that you'd ask for a dwarf and pay some price to get the dwarf. The question is what SOP should be for the payment--a one-time "fee"? A minimum level of annual tribute? A certain level of housing and other amenities for the dwarf? Some combination thereof? Obviously, this would be scaled in, uh, scale based on the skill of the dwarf (a novice cheesemaker might only cost a couple of mugs, but a legendary mason may take masterwork silver serrated disks or somesuch), and the SOP wouldn't have much effect on dwarves who independently decide to come and help your fort for a price.

I believe the general consensus of the thread is depending on how the dwarf feel they're worth and what they feel like or just random. A skilled fighter might want glory, battle and a barrel of wine every year until the end of his days, a professional broker just wants a fort with a 50000 level of created wealth for his skilled brain, a miner wants a room lavished with 3 golden cabinets to pay for his services which will last until he mines a million gold nuggets, and a peasant would just want a toy hammer for their son and a pair of earrings.
Pages: 1 [2]