Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Git yer red hot roasts heerrre, c'mon, get 'em hot!  (Read 4446 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Git yer red hot roasts heerrre, c'mon, get 'em hot!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 11:07:10 am »

Why do both you & Loud Whispers seem to think that roasts require meat? Vegetarian roasts work just the same.
Kills seed stocks :/
Quarry bushes.
And syrup.
And flour.
And booze.

Seriously, legendary farmer and quarry bushes are almost as exploity as the coin-melting technique!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 11:09:21 am »

I don't think of it as a bug or unbalanced at all.  If you look at an individual roast, it's worth maybe 100 dorfbucks.  The reason those pots are so valuable is because they contain 30-40 of those things. 

If you go to a gourmet restaurant, you can easily drop $200 on a meal and drinks, per person.  That's because it's "Fancy" food.  Same thing if you were going to shop in a boutique clothing store.  $200 for a pair of pants?  Sure! 

I like to think of my fortress, once everyone becomes legendary, as a boutique gourmet outpost that the traders just can't wait to visit so they can pick up the finest roasts and elegant clothing that they can then pass on to further suckers customers next stop down the trading route.

Meanwhile my dorfs eat gourmet and wear only the fanciest clothes. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 11:20:42 am »

I like to think of my fortress, once everyone becomes legendary, as a boutique gourmet outpost that the traders just can't wait to visit so they can pick up the finest roasts and elegant clothing that they can then pass on to further suckers customers next stop down the trading route.
Not to mention the amazing preservatives the dwarves use to keep those roasts fresh for days, if not weeks, of travel =D.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 11:25:25 am »

I have barrels of prepared lavish meals made ENTIRELY out of hen eggs.
Hen egg roasts with minced hen eggs, minced hen eggs and minced hen eggs.

Total value of one barrel?
2000-5000 bits depending on value.

I have 25 hens who all lay infinite eggs and require no maintenance at all.
In total I have like 3000 prepared meals, ranging from hen egg biscuits to hen egg stews and hen egg roasts and hen egg eggs with the odd fish/meat/cheese ingredient. It is great.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 11:32:00 am »

Why do both you & Loud Whispers seem to think that roasts require meat? Vegetarian roasts work just the same.

Don't worry.  I roast plenty of vegetarians. :D
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »

2000-5000 Urists depending on value.

In total I have like 3000 prepared meals, ranging from hen egg biscuits to hen egg stews and hen egg roasts and hen egg eggs with the odd fish/meat/cheese ingredient. It is great.

FTFY
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 01:18:23 pm »

I don't micromanage what the cook uses in the meals, other then to give him eggs / flour / syrup / alcohol at a closer distance then the meat/fish/cheese stockpiles.  When the cook gets going, I'll see barrels full of meals go for 10000-18000 dwarf bucks.  One or two of those is enough to buy out everything the elves bring.

Ten of those barrels is enough to buy out (almost) the entire human caravan.  With a nice profit on top of it.

It amuses me to see the caravan come back with 8 wagons instead of only 4 the following year.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 02:23:05 pm »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 11:05:34 am »

FTFY
I got nerdsniped; what did you change?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 12:27:47 pm »

FTFY
I got nerdsniped; what did you change?

He changed "bits" to "urists".
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 05:25:50 pm »

That's why I don't directly cook vegetables or seeds, need those for farming.  And plants get turned into things like flour or syrup first which preserves the seeds and makes the roasts more valuable.

2000-5000 bits depending on value.

I've been playing a bit with Masterwork where you can boil eggs first.  This bumps up the value even more, and if the dorfs slather syrup all over it or load it down with quarry bush leaves, I've been getting barrels that hit about 30k or more.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 10:13:13 pm »

That's why I don't directly cook vegetables or seeds, need those for farming.  And plants get turned into things like flour or syrup first which preserves the seeds and makes the roasts more valuable.
Granted, I may be speaking from an overweighted position of agriculture, as I believe I have more farmland than most forts (embarked on a perfectly flat swamp with 2 layers of soil), but I should think that running out of plants, or needing to maximize roast value, are hardly going to be issues. Even if I cooked every single plant and seed in the fortress, and then called a complete halt to all food-related jobs of every kind, I'd still have enough prepared meals to get the fort through the next . . . I'm going to say 5 years, even without any input from merchants. At the end of those 5 years, I can always flog a single prepared meal in exchange for all the seeds I need to get all my crops right back up again.

And you know, I consider that to be a problem. Feeding a thriving community should not be this easy.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: 1 [2]