Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Immigrants and mass killing critters

(1/6) > >>

TheSilverHammer:
In case you are wondering both things are unrelated.It has been several years since my fortress got any immigrants.  I have had a few waves, but now my fort is sitting at 107 dwarfs and has been for a while.   Fortunately I have not had any recent goblin invasions (I had a squad of 3 the last time, but that was 2 game years ago).   Is there a limit to the number of immigrant waves or is there something you need to do to keep more coming?My other problem is all the stray animals.  I think they are causing tuns of lag.   50 horses, 50 cows, 50 mules, etc...   I have marked them to be butchered, but my butchers do not seem to kill one often enough.   I have tried making a pit, but I have no idea how to keep them in there without them getting out.  If I have no path to the pit, then I start getting tuns of job canceled messages every second and then all my dwarfs are running around doing nothing trying to figure out what to do with the animals they have.  Any suggestions?

Torak:
Make a pit. Simple as.code:
Side view:
>_
X_
X_
X_
X_
X_
X_
X_
Etc until you feel it's deep enough.
<.

Just mark the top of the pit as a Pit/Pond and designate a bunch of animals to be dropped. They'll die on impact and make a nice little death pit filled with parts of animals. I suggest making it 10+ levels deep to ensure a death, or go with overkill, like I did, and make it about 50.

Kagus:
It may be that the animal population is now too high for butchering or standard pitting to be effective.  The creatures will reproduce faster than you can kill them.Try to get them in batches, or keep killing off one specific gender.  Since you'll only be targeting one gender, you'll only have half the normal number of animals to contend with, and removing them will be much easier.Once that one gender is gone, they will stop reproducing (once the pregnant ones finish up) and you'll have a slightly easier to control number.

TheSilverHammer:
I suppose the pit idea is a good one.   Right now I am trying to gather them to cages, and then I plan on moving to a room to be flooded.  I dunno if animals drown.  I once saw a beak dog at the bottom of a river and it didn't drown.

Torak:
quote:Originally posted by TheSilverHammer:
<STRONG>I suppose the pit idea is a good one.   Right now I am trying to gather them to cages, and then I plan on moving to a room to be flooded.  I dunno if animals drown.  I once saw a beak dog at the bottom of a river and it didn't drown.</STRONG>Things don't drown in cages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version