Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a Dystopian Game  (Read 2962 times)

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
Looking for a Dystopian Game
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:13:54 am »

Think the beginning of HL2, or the first few Syndicate games. Preferably one where you're NOT going to end up rebelling, but anything's fine.

EDIT: Also, I would like to add in another nitpick, since I prefer Open-World Games, but even one where you're a resistance member in *urk* linear environments is fine. Also, hopefully I can get something which I don't have to get off Abandonia/Pirate/[Insert generic morally low act of acquiring here].
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:12:08 am by X-03 »
Are you LOST?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Dystopian Game
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:30:03 am »

I don't know if qualifies, but Bureaucracy is pretty dystopian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureaucracy_(video_game)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:33 am »

Bioshock and the Metal Gear Solid games come to mind pretty quickly.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:26:16 am »

Dreamweb, though some things in that don't really make sense. You can just watch Yahtzee LP it, cause the game puzzles are pretty obtuse. On sort of the same note, there's Manhunter, though that's much sillier and even worse a game. Also in LP form, there's Rise of the Dragon.

Now, as far as dystopian futures in games that are actually enjoyable go, there's Blade Runner, which is based on the film, and is somewhat interesting, cause while being an Adventure game, it has combat, and it has a random element, as who is an android varies from playthrough to playthrough, so you can't really get all the answers from a walkthrough.

Also, Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which are pretty awesome RPG/FPS/Stealth games (and no, Deux Ex 2 never happened).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:47:04 am »

(and no, Deux Ex 2 never happened).

It wasn't as terrible as Star Control III's blatant disregard for all things canon, for instance, it just wasn't of the same caliber as the first game. People say the Elite Force (Star Trek, not dystopian) games were really good. I'd rate it about as good as one of those. Maybe better. Those don't have any kind of augmentation or give you the option of stealth or character customization.

The only real issue - if you patch the game - would be the bugged multitools that don't stack with your regular ones, crash your game later on if you put one in your inventory, and start replicating if you fail to pick one up. To which you keep your inventory full at all times, ignore them if they fail to stack, and pay no attention to their replication because leaving them on the ground won't crash your game, and they're NOT safe to take.

That and horrible slowness on any graphics cards that existed when it came out. Or slightly after it came out. Modern ones should have less trouble. Okay, so it is really badly optimized. (Hazeron somehow manages to run much worse while also looking like something from 1994, don't even ask me how)

(Of course some augs and weapons are just better - the emp drone aug is the best way to take down the power armored templars, not even the mag rail compares, and trying to shoot the weak spot on their armor, whereever it is, is just a waste of time when you can send EMP drones at them from out of visual range until they fall down and explode. It's not like there's any shortage of batteries or whatever you use in the game.)

</tangent>
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:48:48 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:33:07 am »

There was actually a fairly popular at one point, Halflife 2 mod called "Dystopia".

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:11 am »

2400 AD is a dystopia, I guess.

So is A Mind Forever Voyaging (well, dystopia "simulator" anyways). If you're into text-only interactive fiction.

One of the episodes of Back from the Future adventure game features a dystopia. Still funny tho, despite the clockwork orange-style brainwashing.

Beneath a Steel Sky is definitely one.

Oni, 'though most of the time you probably won't notice it :P

Only mentioning games I've played btw.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:15:17 am »

I found DX:HR's augmentations really, really boring. Not surprisingly so, but many are just kind of passive benefits given in the name of cybernetic augmentation. I was hoping for something fairly detailed and for augs to give you unique benefits, but that only describes a handful of them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:19:24 pm »

I'd suggest this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omikron:_The_Nomad_Soul

About a dude who hunts a daemon in a futuristic city... it's kinda... umm the story is a little bit like something that ran away from David Lynchs file cabinet when he was not looking, it's somewhat original and enjoyable nonetheless.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Boltur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 12:35:51 pm »

Technically Mirror's Edge is about dystopian world, but with game visuals it was pretty easy to forget and the story isn't very focused on that part of the setting.

Uplink always gave me a vibe of a pretty messed up future but maybe it's only me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 12:45:45 pm »

For that matter, Defcon.  Things are about as bad as it's possible to get in that game, what with the global thermonuclear warfare and all.

Alpha Centauri would be a good choice for making a few of your own, ditto with the Tropico series.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jafferey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »

Shadowrun

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:03 am »

Only judging by the background story Bioshock and Borderlands count as dystopian. then again it isn't a central aspect of the story and overlaps with many other gameworld concepts.

If you want to focus on the political aspects play Deus Ex or Red Faction. - in Deus Ex you work for the regime and Red Faction makes you a rebel.

My personal favorite is the Playstation 2 game "Project Eden".
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:23:48 am »

The reason IMO Bioshock probably wouldn't count as dystopian is that you pretty much arrive when the whole thing already became post-apocalyptic. An important element of a dystopia would be that it is a working society, right? Instead of, say, rubble ;)

Now, a prequel to Bioshock could be an interesting dystopia game. Kinda like how BioShock Infinite is gonna be.

Borderlands never felt like a dystopia to me. Seems pretty standard "life on the frontier" kind of deal. Too lawless to be a dystopia. Can't remember which element in the backstory would count as one (big corporations ruling everything, or something like that?)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:26:29 am by Sergius »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:03:35 am »

Isn't E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy a dystopian game? Bear in mind I have never played it, and it's purported to be... rather impenetrable as a whole, but it might be what you desire.

Also Hard Reset is a cyberpunk FPS which might also fit the bill... you know, if it's a somewhat broad bill.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: [1] 2