Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Has the addition of Minecarts changed the game for the better?

Yes, Minecarts have improved the game.
No, Minecarts have made the game worse off.
Maybe, Minecarts just need to be improved first.
Remove Minecarts from the game, there is no way it can be improved.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [Poll] Minecarts: Have they changed the game for the better?  (Read 8867 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am wondering how Minecarts have changed Dwarf Fortress, and whether or not it has been a good addition to the game or a bad addition.
I have me own opinions, but I am wondering what the community thinks as a whole.

If Minecarts have been a blessing to the game, how has it made better?

If Minecarts have been making the game worse worse, how can they be improved?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Minecarts: Have they changed the game for the better?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

Minecarts are simply another tool in the already vast arsenal of the Fortress Overseer. They can be used for good !!FUN!! by a competent overseer. Or they can be used for !!evil!! by a not so competent Overseer.

To put it bluntly, they are very dwarfy. Case in point: Dwarven Autoshotgun. Magma filled minecart. Flying minecarts.

Minecart track laying could be streamlined a bit more, IMO. It's a little complicated trying to keep track of whether you need a N track here, or a S track, or whether you should use a NS track. But other than that, they are awesome.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:59:51 pm »

Minecart track laying could be streamlined a bit more, IMO. It's a little complicated trying to keep track of whether you need a N track here, or a S track, or whether you should use a NS track. But other than that, they are awesome.

It would be nice if there was an additional generic track tile that would make connections similarly to how the game connects constructed/smoothed wall tiles. Fine-tuning could be done with the track pieces we have now.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:06 pm »

They could use a lot of refinement and could certainly stand to be more intuitive to set up, but I think they're a good thing which will get better with updates.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:18:09 pm »

there is no requirement to use them and their non-use does not detract from gameplay, so more available options in a complex simulation game would make things better I say.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 05:31:43 pm »

If I were more creative I would use them to death as of now I use them for fancy trash cans.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 06:25:35 pm »

I think that it is ironic to hear DF players say that a new addition to the game is "bad" or generally negative because it is complicated and made the game marginaly harder.

The minecarts are great for those who can be arsed to use them, but not vital or important enough to cripple those who don't.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:29:23 pm »

You Can do fine without them, as eveyrone who has ever played a prior version can tell you. You can have great !!fun!! with them, so they are very dorfish. Therefore, keep.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »

I actually never use them for anything. I haven't found a good use for them yet, but I do want to make a DAS soon. I just have to figure out the designations and all that jazz.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »

I've really struggled to put them to use, it's just so much easier to have an efficient fort layout and lots of wheelbarrows instead.

I like the concept of mine carts, just not sold on how useful they are before a fort dies to the FPS monster anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 07:53:28 pm »

I don't know about you guys, but one should never take out a part of the game just because you don't like it. As for me My curent project is to set up a system of bringing the huge amount of flux, magnatite, lignite, bitinoumous coal, and valuable gems away from the mine, and towards the surface metalsmithers. If that succeds, I will consider a expansion to include the magma and deeper mines.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 08:42:41 pm »

I'm inexperienced in the newest version, so forgive this question. How are minecarts currently more useful than wheelbarrows? Or are they just toys for experienced players to use to do crazy stuff?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:56:03 pm »

They have 5 times more storage then minecarts. which over a while is a lot faster. They are more difficult to use, but if automated they are incredibly fast, and if not they are really big and faster on-rails versions of wheelbarrows.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11:16 pm »

Is there a guide for that anywhere yet? I suspect I'm building my ramps in the wrong direction, but trying opposite directions doesn't work any better.

I like minecarts, even though I can't make them work for beans and they tend to murder more dwarves than sieges do now.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »

The only problem is that dwarves are idiots with minecarts, and that can be mostly averted with some cleverness. Or not using minecarts. Overall, there's not really any downside, and a thousand or more uses that make up for that and then some a thousand times over if you're dwarfy enough.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5