Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hypothetical weapon poisoning process  (Read 3792 times)

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical weapon poisoning process
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 11:20:18 pm »

Anyone found a Black Mamba yet? Deadly little things they are. Complete paralisys is the venom effect.

EDIT: What am I saying? How could I forget Helmet snakes and GDS?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:38:57 pm by DanteThanatos »

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 01:57:25 am »

If i remember correctly, animalmen in the caverns use blowdarts covered in venoms, and they do properly affect the target when shot with the contaminated darts.  I have had cave swallowmen take down multiple FBs using blowdarts tipped with GCS venom.  They ultimately met there end when a FB composed of diorite came.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 02:40:19 am »

Yes, (cave-dwelling) animalmen use poisoned weapons, and items covered in a syndrome-causing contaminant will have the desired effect when striking someone.  However, animalmen are special in that they spawn with poison-coated equipment already in their inventory, they don't actually make the stuff themselves.

I still remember that batman tribe which had befouled their weapons with that most vicious of taints...  Bumblebee venom.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 06:14:48 am »

Items dropped into a pool of poisonous sludge (or poisonous sludge dropped onto a pile of items) will have absolutely no effect.  The items will remain completely separate from the contaminant.

However, if someone/something is holding the item or wearing the item while crawling around in a puddle of muck, it'll stick.  I can't quite recall if this only applies to armor or if it affects weapons too, it's a long time since I did all this.
Given that weapon stands can be placed as furniture, will weapons inside the armorstand get contaminated, too? Or are they treated as if they were normal dropped items in this regard?
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:22 am »

I have absolutely no experience with either weapon or armor stands in any functional capacity.  Back in my day, they were just funny doodads you made to appease the nobles.

But if it works like a standard container, I don't think there's any parent-child relationship in regards to contaminants.  Backpacks, for example, won't spread contaminants to their contents even with excessive depositing/removal.  I have no idea how standard furniture reacts to non-flow contaminants either.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:46 am »

Poison clouds can ( and have been) weaponized. For example, i found in adventure mode a cloud that causes full bodt numbness(leading
to suffocattion), and i made a Insta-killing axe just druping it in the ground , waiting for to cloud to pass over, and piaboucking it.

The poison (in this case, henious ash) keeps forever, and you just need to remenber to keep the weapon in a container while swimming.

There is a thread about a fortress that is making full body bleeding bolts using this method.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »

My mind is racing a little...I might start researching syndromes and maybe making my own.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 01:18:36 pm »

As for injected syndromes, I can't remember if they worked properly with weapons
The last science from .31 said yep, it may be out of date though. GCS venom on animal men weapons suggests otherwise, but their weapons might be treated differently. Or not. I'd go with .31 and say yes they work.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »

My mind is racing a little...I might start researching syndromes and maybe making my own.
Syndromes are really easy to make, they just take a bit of testing to get to be exactly the danger level that you want them to since the SEVerity token isn't really that good at approximating the amount of damage it will actually do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »

I can't imagine how or why venom on ammo that animalmen use would work but other venom-covered stuff wouldn't.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]