Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My latest story of FUN!  (Read 1454 times)

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My latest story of FUN!
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:32:41 pm »

So I just had some super great FUN that was the cause of something I forgot about, so I of course wanted to share. Hint, it involves building destroyers.

The current fort I was working on had a giant dwarf made lake connected to a minor river to supply the water and in the center was my fortress entrance. I built it so the first few layers were mostly ornamental. You know, a zoo, some statue gardens, bridges and stuff over some water. On the outside of it, there was a ring of crystal glass with the water on the outside so the dwarves were basically living in a big aquarium where they could see the fish and such (the such being a group of crocodiles) that made their way over. I thought it was pretty cool.

Well, my defenses weren't exactly tight as they should have been and a troll managed to get inside while my Urist McMilitary dwarves were ineptly fighting goblins. After smashing up a few statues and haulers, he saw the glass (with I'm sure a glean in his eyes). The rest is history; a drowning troll, an abandoned fort, and a FUN lesson to not forget building destroyers.

So, say I wanted to try this idea again. What would be a good way to protect the glass from building destroyers? Maybe a channel or two separating the glass and walkways with the ramps removed?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:17:38 pm by HandFullOfCheese »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: My latest story of FUN!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »

Stone walls lining the glass.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:57:15 pm »

Well, you could try using glass walls (building destroyers won't target them nor can they destroy them) instead of windows and build it so that you have a way of sealing parts of it incase you get an unwanted creature wandering around. (a bit like in resurrecting fortresses with numerous doors, alternative staircases and gates separating different parts of the fort. This will easily lead to a fort with 30 mysterious levers though.) In this case perhaps raising bridges behind the glass in order to prevent the water from flooding in if the window gets broken. Then you can just drain the room from the water that managed to get in and fix the windows before lowering the gates again.

Personally I think that no fort is perfect unless it has a slightly flawed defence so that there always is a small chance of FUN.

Edit: You can also use workshops/furniture as a bait for the destroyers. Also, invaders aim for your meeting hall so make sure the the way there doesn't go straight through your project. That way they shouldn't come there unless they are chasing your dwarves. (Though a statuegarden will attract them) Otherwise you could ofcourse keep the area separated from the rest of the fort but that would be boring.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:05:25 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »

Great, thanks much. I'll try that all out when I get enough umph to try it again haha. Appreciate all the suggestions and help, Scruffy. I saw the troll wailing statues and was like "...wait, do building destroyers go after windows too?....no no no NO!" haha

So destroyers won't go after walls at all then? Noticed people taking about mazes of walls with random statues in them to keep destroyers busy but wasn't sure if it was just a think of priority or what.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:35:38 pm »

They're incapable of destroying walls and fortifications.
My wooden badge was delicious.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:30:42 am »

when i read the fortress is underwater and its all made out of glass i instantly think
dwarf cancels kill troll, attacking carp
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:57:40 am »

Building destroyers will destroy Supports? I have idea for Troll Trap.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »

Building destroyers will destroy Supports?
No

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »

Glass walls. Sure, dwarves can't technically see through them, but that just means that milkfish and sponges and such on the other side of the glass won't freak them out.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.