Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Drunk Fortress  (Read 65084 times)

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
Drunk Fortress
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »

Does anybody out there actually do this? I heard about it a long time ago, and then I appropriated the idea and started my own Drunk Fortresses (on the weekends, don't judge me!). For those who aren't aware of what it is, the name pretty much says it all: You get drunk and start a fortress. You are not allowed to play or continue this particular fortress unless you are drunk/re-drunk.

It seems to me that I've had amazing(ly bad) results playing Drunk Fortress. I love it. And of course if you're playing with friends it isn't hard to make a drinking game out of the whole ordeal.

Edit: It's a thing now. A real thing. Drink deep, friends--it's time to fuck shit up.

!!DRUNK FORTRESS!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:42:07 am by Kamin »

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:20:20 pm »

ok so heres a drinking game
every year take a shot, every seige take 3 shots, and every time a dwarf dies finish your curent drink.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:45 pm »

ok so heres a drinking game
every year take a shot, every seige take 3 shots, and every time a dwarf dies finish your curent drink.

Whoa there, I'm trying to have a good time here, not die of alcohol poisoning. I'm not a Dwarf, man.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:38:30 pm »

Non lethal variant:

Take a sip of a beer every time you get a:
Migrant wave
Newborn baby
Newborn animal
Season change
Masterwork Item

Take a shot every time:
Your military is destroyed
Tantrum spiral
Loyalty Cascade
Megabeast/titan arrives
You find a vampire/necro

Play one year at a time only. Do not play more than one year, as playing more than one year has been proven to be lethal in 90% of all test subjects. Do not substitute some sort of mixed drink for the beer. You will die.

Also, I would love to play Drunk Fortress when I'm allowed to drink again.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:42:45 am »

Here's a real man's version.

You'll need a bottle of scotch, or whiskey, or what have you for this. I would suggest Black Label. Vodka works if you're Russian. Pour yourself a glass, on the rocks, no water, and take a sip every time your screen ends up paused (no cheating by changing the settings. This is a MAN's game). For every new screen ("A vile force of darkness has arrived!" et al.), you finish your current drink. You win when you're still sober enough to realize that you've already lost your fort. You lose when you run out of drinks/pass out.

If I wasn't so busy with college I'd do this everyday.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:53:55 am »

I used to play halo drunk, dwarf fortress on the other hand, damn i would have to keep sober enough to at least read the screen, i probably wouldn't do it as a drinking game due to how easily it would be to lose control.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:22:19 am »

I usually play DF high. Actually, I spend 80% of my leisure moments high, and I only play DF on my free time (and I have little) so, yeah.
Of course, weed is MUCH LESS hazardous than alcohol in every way, and it's effects aren't even near as being drunk. It makes you extremely absent-minded for everything except what you're focusing. In counterpart, it makes whatever you're focusing extremely more "wide", after a while you'll have your mind wondering (and wandering) about things, and then wondering about what you were just wondering, eventually making you forget what you were first wondering.
It also makes you more imaginative and focused so it is common that I spend 1 or 2 hours trying to do something random and sometimes even stopping it on the middle and starting something else.
It makes you more creative too. It makes your mind behave a lot differently, it is hard to explain if you never experienced it at least twice or thrice. 

And actually, my results are fairly decent. I tried to play DF a while ago (1 year I think) and I couldn't even begin understanding what all those letters were and even when playing with a tileset it would be a little tough for me to understand some things. Most of the mechanics were too much for me to bear.

I had just tried a tutorial with everything preset and it wasn't that good IMO. It used a "user-friendly" language which made it pretty harder to understand. I think it was a well-known guide on the 40d, didn't help me much.

I started what can be considered my very first fortress a few days ago. I only played it a few hours (will probably play more today and weekend) after reading some stories (I think everyone's been there) and dude, Boatmurdered was an AWESOME HIGH READING. Reading while high is one of the best things ever (listening to music, everything that makes some parts of your brain "tick" that aren't frequently ticked, so it is like a completely new feeling) and I've spent a few hours reading my very world's Legends. Before I embarked, I forgot a few times to play and kept reading Legends for hours, just because you begin to wonder about stuff and imagine the world like it was real, it makes you really 10x or more creative.

But for me, playing DF high is both an addition (it makes pretty much everything non-serious better, and DF is awesome enough so awesome + awesome = yougetit) and an addiction, on the other hand I consider alcohol to be one of humankind's biggest scourges. I dislike it's effects almost completely (I like being tipsy because it helps with timidity and all) and well, it is one of the cruel killing machines out there. It is not even organic FFS and it destroys lives. Lots of them.

Yeah I had my drunken days, I don't have anything against people doing alcohol I just wouldn't do it myself anymore, it is the heaviest drug out there (yes, way heavier than cocaine, believe me. A little heavier than heroin because it's legalized) and I think it could lead to !!FUN!! stuff. But it basically makes you disabled, so it is like playing DF handicapped, whilst playing it high is pure awesomeness.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:25:06 am by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »

I am a highly addicted person. I am going to ask you to never recommend someone use any drugs of any sort. All drugs, marijuana and alcohol included, are no good for you. They are a waste of money for a fleeting high. That said, I do enjoy using intoxicants, don't mistake this for a post berating you for using. I'd just prefer that drug users not tell people, 'You should get high, its awesome!' Because I want sober people to stop saying, 'Being high is evil, you should be sober!'.

Also, I would play DF high and drunk, but I'm on a program that prohibits this.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:55:26 pm »

Play one year at a time only. Do not play more than one year, as playing more than one year has been proven to be lethal in 90% of all test subjects. Do not substitute some sort of mixed drink for the beer. You will die.

Also, I would love to play Drunk Fortress when I'm allowed to drink again.

I like the cut of your jib, friend. If I drank hard liquor, I'd consider it. I'll have to just implement a "finish your beer" rule in lieu of the shots. Whenever you're allowed to drink again, I'd love to hear how messed up your fortresses get. Screenshots would work, too, although I'm generally not "with it" enough when playing Drunk Fortress to A.) Consider taking screenshots or B.) Remember how the hell to take screenshots. (Yeah, it's that bad.)

Here's a real man's version.

You'll need a bottle of scotch, or whiskey, or what have you for this. I would suggest Black Label. Vodka works if you're Russian. Pour yourself a glass, on the rocks, no water, and take a sip every time your screen ends up paused (no cheating by changing the settings. This is a MAN's game). For every new screen ("A vile force of darkness has arrived!" et al.), you finish your current drink. You win when you're still sober enough to realize that you've already lost your fort. You lose when you run out of drinks/pass out.

If I wasn't so busy with college I'd do this everyday.

Nyan, I will rue the day I ever meet you for a drinkathon.

Yeah I had my drunken days, I don't have anything against people doing alcohol I just wouldn't do it myself anymore, it is the heaviest drug out there (yes, way heavier than cocaine, believe me. A little heavier than heroin because it's legalized) and I think it could lead to !!FUN!! stuff. But it basically makes you disabled, so it is like playing DF handicapped, whilst playing it high is pure awesomeness.

Wellincolin, I think it's quite the untenable position to assert that alcohol is heavier than both cocaine AND heroin. I imagine anybody who knows anything about either narcotic would think you're insane to make such claims. As far as alcohol consumption making you "disabled," the same can be said for many people who smoke weed. I've known frequent smokers who get so stoned they can't even speak. In the same breath, I've known people who can drink like fish and still maintain a solid facade of sobriety. All that being said, it might be time to reevaluate some of your suppositions.

I wish you the best regardless, and would be quite entertained to see or hear what you do with Stoned Fortress.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »

I usually play DF high. Actually, I spend 80% of my leisure moments high, and I only play DF on my free time (and I have little) so, yeah.
Of course, weed is MUCH LESS hazardous than alcohol in every way, and it's effects aren't even near as being drunk. It makes you extremely absent-minded for everything except what you're focusing. In counterpart, it makes whatever you're focusing extremely more "wide", after a while you'll have your mind wondering (and wandering) about things, and then wondering about what you were just wondering, eventually making you forget what you were first wondering.
It also makes you more imaginative and focused so it is common that I spend 1 or 2 hours trying to do something random and sometimes even stopping it on the middle and starting something else.
It makes you more creative too. It makes your mind behave a lot differently, it is hard to explain if you never experienced it at least twice or thrice. 

And actually, my results are fairly decent. I tried to play DF a while ago (1 year I think) and I couldn't even begin understanding what all those letters were and even when playing with a tileset it would be a little tough for me to understand some things. Most of the mechanics were too much for me to bear.

I had just tried a tutorial with everything preset and it wasn't that good IMO. It used a "user-friendly" language which made it pretty harder to understand. I think it was a well-known guide on the 40d, didn't help me much.

I started what can be considered my very first fortress a few days ago. I only played it a few hours (will probably play more today and weekend) after reading some stories (I think everyone's been there) and dude, Boatmurdered was an AWESOME HIGH READING. Reading while high is one of the best things ever (listening to music, everything that makes some parts of your brain "tick" that aren't frequently ticked, so it is like a completely new feeling) and I've spent a few hours reading my very world's Legends. Before I embarked, I forgot a few times to play and kept reading Legends for hours, just because you begin to wonder about stuff and imagine the world like it was real, it makes you really 10x or more creative.

But for me, playing DF high is both an addition (it makes pretty much everything non-serious better, and DF is awesome enough so awesome + awesome = yougetit) and an addiction, on the other hand I consider alcohol to be one of humankind's biggest scourges. I dislike it's effects almost completely (I like being tipsy because it helps with timidity and all) and well, it is one of the cruel killing machines out there. It is not even organic FFS and it destroys lives. Lots of them.

This entire post is :o

Especially the bit about "alcohol not being organic". I was about 97% sure that that was wrong, so I looked it up and now I'm 100% sure! If it contains carbon and isn't carbon di/monoxide, it's organic, which alcohol does. So that's one bit of, well, vague bullshit right there.

And anything that makes you want to read every word in Legends mode can't be healthy. I'm a bit worried now.

So I'm not legally able to play Drunk Fortress but it sounds fun. I think the best part would be looking at what you've done the day after.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »

So I'm not legally able to play Drunk Fortress but it sounds fun. I think the best part would be looking at what you've done the day after.

Funny, that's usually the worst part of a drinking binge. ;D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 04:37:15 pm »

Funny, that's usually the worst part of a drinking binge. ;D
Dwarf Fortress fixes everything :D

Proven by science!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 07:37:11 pm »

Well hey, this seems like it'd be fairly cheap for me to do, i get drunk so damn easily. :P
Sounds pretty fun too, because one can only be in the proper dorfen mindset by being constantly shitfaced. A sober dorf is an unhappy dorf, so maybe something crazy will happen when both the overlord and dorfs are in a haze of alcohol! (now let's just hope that the entrance to our computer cave doesn't get soaked in vomit like the entrance to a dorf fortress)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »

Wellincolin, I think it's quite the untenable position to assert that alcohol is heavier than both cocaine AND heroin. I imagine anybody who knows anything about either narcotic would think you're insane to make such claims. As far as alcohol consumption making you "disabled," the same can be said for many people who smoke weed. I've known frequent smokers who get so stoned they can't even speak. In the same breath, I've known people who can drink like fish and still maintain a solid facade of sobriety. All that being said, it might be time to reevaluate some of your suppositions.

I wish you the best regardless, and would be quite entertained to see or hear what you do with Stoned Fortress.

I've done cocaine and oxycontin, which is synthetic heroin, and I can assert that they are both far more dangerous than alcohol. So many more people die of alcohol because so many more can get it. Cocaine doesn't feel like it can hurt you, even when you're OD-ing on it. It feels powerful, makes you feel powerful. Right up until it kills you. Heroin... I don't even want to talk about that. Heroin is fucking bad, m'kay? :)
Kamin is correct on his point about some people getting too stoned to talk, and drinking insane amounts while showing no sign of it. It is all about tolerance, willpower, and state of mind. I drank a gallon of Canadian Hunter and nine beers one night. I had alcohol poisoning for three days. But that night, you would not have known. I seemed drunk, to be sure, but not incredibly fucking wasted out of my mind, which I was. I also once took fifteen hits of acid and got raided by the cops. I still don't understand how someone can have a bad trip and I have never had a bad trip.
It is all in your willpower, state of mind, and tolerance.

Once again, I must add a disclaimer to my post. :/ I do not recommend drug or alcohol use. I do not want anyone to start using based on anything I have said or implied. Drugs are bad. Alcohol is bad. If you haven't done them, don't start.
He's fucking with us.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 10:43:20 pm »

Take a shot every time the game ends up paused.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20