Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beta / SVN ?  (Read 1679 times)

GrimmC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beta / SVN ?
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:33:03 am »

How does beta-testing work around here, anyway? Are there any open beta or SVN releases, especially since there is often such a large gap between official releases?

'Cause basically, I'm dying to get my hands on those multi-tile trees, and I'm hoping there's some sort of pre-release version laying around.

And yes, I know that "all of DF is in beta mode."

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beta / SVN ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:43:48 am »

Dwarf Fortress is pretty much closed source.

There is no public testing of unreleased changes, so you will have to wait I am afraid.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:47:53 am »

No. There is only a vast desert where us vultures circle over news of the next version, thirsting for new dwarf.

Also people don't usually distribute binaries over svn. Filthy.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »

technically, every release in df for the last 6 years was and is (And will be for a long time) more or less open beta. I mean these "Official releases" are even called alpha.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »

Yup, game's nowhere near finished, and each of the releases are actually your in-between beta releases; they just take forever. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:29:40 pm »

New features need a lot of testing. Try playing version 0.31.01 sometime, rushed releases are funny.

If you want to play the next alpha, you'll have to wait a few more months. It's part of the DF experience.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »

But there are some folks that do get to play Nightly Builds (or whatever DF equiv is) that do testing on these new features before there a public release. Though we dont know everyone who gets these, or if they always get them.

Fookterchief seems to be one of them, and we can probably assume the folks on the DF pod cast are also among them.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »

no beta= no beta testing, so...
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:32:56 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is in an alpha, so there's just open alpha testing (which we get to play) and closed alpha testing (which Toady One uses, in-between releases). The game will likely never go into beta testing, or reach version 1.0 without needing beta testing; its already more stable than quite a few pieces of marketed software or so I've heard.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.