Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 100 Degrees - A community game  (Read 8097 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: 100 Degrees - A community game
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 08:00:27 pm »

Like I said before, without UV maps bar textures aren't any good. Take a look at Skyrim's Iron Ingot texture. It has a polished look in the middle of the faces and dull ones at the edges. Unless I can do thy, they'd pretty much be featureless lumps of metal... o.o

Nirur Torir has successfully made and UV mapped a model. Talk to him.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 02:53:34 am »

Posting to watch.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 03:14:15 am »

In case you guys are waiting on my tutorial parts, that may take a while as I'm swamped with work right now. Feel free to take over if you're in a hurry.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 03:23:51 am »

Yay! Virex! It's cool. I think that other than the tutorial stuff we are good. But hell, tutorials are only a recent thing in games, so they 'can' be left out :D

If you are on about 10 - 11 hours from now, and I manage to be awake (as it is 330 am my time and gotta go sleep) then we can do a short meeting so that I can catch you up on a few things and get your opinion. If yer not then I'll send you a pm so I can get the opinions :D

Hope your work swampings calm down soon, and don't kill you in the meantime, lol.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 08:20:04 am »

As I am leaving today for 2 weeks, here's my stuff:

0.02.01a: http://www.mediafire.com/?di884allp1r3zdj
0.02.01a (mac): http://www.mediafire.com/?5df2322w9xrmo1p
My code and work:  http://www.mediafire.com/?2hx8kmum5c1a8kj

I should be on the internet some, but I won't work on the project.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 11:39:28 am »

Err, what sort of sounds do you need? I could have a go at doing some.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 02:07:45 pm »

Err, what sort of sounds do you need? I could have a go at doing some.

Alfie275 has been doing a few sounds. You should talk to him, but what we need is a few sounds effects; look on the sound effects section on the the design document. Thanks for your help.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »

To be honest, i'm not meaning to insult anybody, but the game looks bad. As in graphically bad. But thats understandable if you are still searching texturerers and modellers.

It just occurred to me- when you started it up, what quality graphics was it set to? Fastest does make it look horrible.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 04:38:48 am »

BUMP

Also, I made an attempt at cassiterite, but crystals are dang hard :(

My failed attempt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A darker version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Help?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 08:06:55 pm »

Okay, We are not dead yet!

A terrain generation web-build

One command that I forgot to put in there: Use the scroll-wheel on your mouse to move the camera vertically.
Otherwise, have fun making weird looking terrain! :D

Some earlier pictures from the terrain prototypes:
Spoiler: Three large pictures! (click to show/hide)

The pictures should hopefully be mostly self-explanatory.

A note about the webplayer though. I still have some optimizations to run on it so for the love of armok please do not move the camera while the terrain is loading! Also, if you run it on a high terrain size, please put it into "Smooth Mode" before moving the camera as it is really slow without doing so.
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »

Are you using perlin noise?

E: The terrain gen is pretty nice, i can see myself comfortably running around in that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:21:56 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 07:42:52 pm »

Thanks Miauw! Glad to hear that it looks playable :D

It is Simplex noise, slightly faster than Perlin for 3D work. I should have a new version up by Monday with slopes and possibly different terrain types instead of the nigh constant hills/mountains. Hopefully it will include caves and at least one additional terrain type, as well as a little character that you can run around in the area in first person mode.

The slopes are a necessary addition since the above pictures are all just with the centers of each data point connected together. It looks nice but I need to be able to display more data and it needs to be destructible / have caves. The current heightmaps are not equipped to deal with caves sadly.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »

Nirur Torir sent me a message asking if I'd be willing to do concept art. I can do that. Is there anything I should focus on right now?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 09:50:52 am »

Great. Could you start with a robot? It should be as expectedly utilitarian as a robot built by robots, powered by a steam tank on its torso, have hands with two large-fingers/one large thumb, and be bipedal.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 09:11:01 pm »

I'd like to help in some way if you need it. I'm a half-decent modeler and unwrapper, and I can do some rigging and animation if you need that kind of thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3