Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Nuclear Power: Discusion thread  (Read 6709 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Nuclear Power: Discusion thread
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 11:47:52 am »

well, I'm all for nuclear power (so long as it has the appropriate failsafes)

fun fact: an average person gets more radiation from medical X-rays than from nuclear power

Funnier fact: You get more radiation from watching your television (the old ones, not the new flat ones) then from nuclear power..*

*Provided you don't live near a nuclear reactor or storage area or something. While still below safe numbers, there's hightened radiation

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:48 pm »

And living near coal power plants will give you more radiation as well.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 04:55:02 pm »

Nuclear Power is pretty cool, guy. Just make sure it isn't produced by a bunch of idiots with slow reaction times TEPCO.

*Might I add that Fukushima is still leaking radiation, but apparently no one cares anymore
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 04:59:08 pm »

Isnt there a HUEG amount of uranium left?
IIRC, we have enough for about 200 years, assuming we retain current usage levels. If usage levels increase, that number plummets.
[/post]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 05:59:47 pm »

My two cents (in relation to the OP on Gen IV reactors), but several of the Gen IV reactors designs actually can't be used for enriching to weapon levels. Yes the same idea of reprocessing spent fuel exists with Gen IV reactors, but the process used to recycle the fuel is a totally different one, one that actually makes it harder to obtain the weapon fuels out of the recycled material due to the way that they are bound up in the fuel. (I mean it would seriously be easier to just process the fuel to weapons-grade in the first place if you wanted to rather then running it through this type of reprocessing and then trying to extract it).

The basic problems the U.S. has with Gen IV reactors are these:
1)They are expensive to build and make, and since Uranium is so cheap right now nobody wants to spend money on them, regardless of the fact that we have tons of nuclear waste piling up without a place to put it. (Of course currently the U.S. government is losing millions of dollars in lawsuits every year because they promised the nuclear companies that they would have a place to store their waste (by 2010 IIRC), and now that they've canceled Yucca Mountain they don't have one.)

2)When the laws were made "reprocessing" equaled PUREX (the process that generates weapon-grade materials). Since then several new types of reprocessing have been invented that don't allow for the creation of weapons-grade materials, but since the law says "reprocessing is banned" then all of these are, and nobody wants to take the trouble to go back and get it changed to say "PUREX is banned (excluding military use)".

Personally I've got to go with the SFR Reactor (Gen IV) for the win though. I mean it runs on spent fuels up to and including weapons-grade material. It only requires highly fissile stuff (that could potentially be transformed into weapons-grade) to start it up in the first place, after which it will run on old fuels that normally would last millions of years. It can potentially burn up to 99% of the fuel put into it, assuming you just keep reprocessing it over and over again. The wastes that it does have generally only last for centuries as opposed to millenniums. And lastly some of the designs are immune to power-failure induced meltdowns like we almost saw in Japan since they are designed in such a way that if power is cut it stops the reaction from continuing rather then the reaction continuing but the cooling system stopping. I mean sure if they leak they might leak Sodium (highly reactive with water) and Argon (asphyxiant), but personally I would rather have a fire and suffocation problem at the site then a nuclear meltdown that could potentially kill everything in the area for decades.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 07:08:18 pm »

*Might I add that Fukushima is still leaking radiation, but apparently no one cares anymore
Negligible amounts.

Nuclear fission does have one big disadvantage: The more waste is generated, the deeper you'll have to dig to store it.... Or chuck it in a mountain, but that's not nearly as Fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:44 pm »

We don't want a nuclear balrog on our hands.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 07:59:38 pm »

I don't think balrogs are immune to radiation.

Remember that thing Gandalf did? Shot light at him and it made him flinch. We can do the same by tossing radioactive waste at one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 09:01:22 pm »

No H3 love?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:04 pm »

No H3 love?

H3? Do you mean Tritium or something? Because I don't think that's actually called H3 >_>

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 09:35:16 pm »

Helium 3. H3 or HE3 are the two acronyms I know  for it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45:14 pm »

Yeah, tritium. A proton, 2 neutrons, and an electron.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 02:50:01 am »

That's hydrogen 3. Helium 3 would be two protons and three neutrons.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 04:08:55 am »

Ah, thats kind of an awesome fuel, but we dont have alot of it on our planet. I think the gas giants have quite a bit tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 04:11:12 am »

That's hydrogen 3. Helium 3 would be two protons and one neutron.
FTFY
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4