Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 127830 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:11 pm »

Hello it is I, Neonivek, you may know me as the guy who takes the smallest details in anything I play, watch, or use and ruin it for myself.

Yet I cannot be the only one who has ever found a small detail in something, unimportant or not, and was somehow unable to get beyond it. What are your movies, games, or anything where a single small detail seems to derail your enjoyment?

I'll go first: School of Rock

School of Rock is a movie about a guy who has his band break up. So he poses as a substitute teacher and uses his class as his new band.

I am not afraid to say I don't like Jack Black but his acting was fine here, he was mostly devoid of his common tendency to overact and mug. So this was one of the few Jack Black movies where I actually liked his performance. What killed this for me however was that fact that the movie sort of overlooks how outragously immoral, damaging, and inconvenient his action is. He is litterally stopping school for over a month to use children to make his own dreams come true. Something that means the children would have all needed to go to summer school and need re-education.

I would have been fine with it even slightly if the movie also recognised that... but no. Apperantly this act is supposed to be heroic because "He sees the potential in these children that their parents do not". Yeah I am soo sure the "Back up dancer" kids and the "Lights" kids have had such a fulfilling experience.

I could not enjoy it. It was glorifying something horrific.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:48:28 pm »

I get irked whenever a sci-fi makes reference to genetic memory.  I know its sci-fi and I know I'm not supposed to think too hard about it, but for some reason the idea of storing all the information in your brain inside your DNA really bothers me. 

Looking at you Stargate SG1!
Looking at you Assassins Creed!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:53:29 pm »

Honestly that aspect of Assassins Creed was so stupid that I just imagined that the machine was actually a time reader that needed a DNA match to work.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:56:03 pm »

Don't forget Dune where you back to the start of mankind if you have enough spice.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:59:01 pm »

Honestly that aspect of Assassins Creed was so stupid that I just imagined that the machine was actually a time reader that needed a DNA match to work.

I was willing to go with it to a point, but the whole "synchronization" stuff really made me wonder. Since taking damage of any kind reduces synchronization, that would imply Altair/Ezio were never, ever injured.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 02:59:30 pm »

-snip-
AND THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT DISAPPEARED!

Moving on, I tend to do this with all movies - but my greatest nitpicks have to do with military blunders in movies. This is of course taking into account the purpose of the story, the story takes precedence.
As you know, military blunders are perfectly acceptable on the account of drama and character development.
But when they introduce the *oh so competent* humanoids with their brilliant plan to unload several megatons of explosives onto a mountain, and then to send tanks UNSUPPORTED BY INFANTRY who then get ISOLATED AND TORN APART, it makes you think.
I mean, they just got introduced as the people that were killing generic enemy x. And now they're falling to pieces.

Oh yeah and then the infantry get torn to pieces because they had no tank support. Big wonder eh?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »

I was willing to go with it to a point, but the whole "synchronization" stuff really made me wonder. Since taking damage of any kind reduces synchronization, that would imply Altair/Ezio were never, ever injured.
Well duh. Altair is, after all, the patron god of killstealers.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:53 pm »

Or pain just fucks up your synchronization because that fucking hurt.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 03:10:33 pm »

I hate when stuff just don't make sense in movies. Like Terminator 3: Why would you want your killer robots to be motorcycle? Why would you include control on them so that a human may use them? Why do you have a fully-fleshed user interface in Skynet's lair?

Or Avatar: You have access to fuckin spaceship. Why don't you nuke the native from orbit rather than going into a fuckin stupid deathtrap?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 03:35:16 pm »

I hate when stuff just don't make sense in movies. Like Terminator 3: Why would you want your killer robots to be motorcycle? Why would you include control on them so that a human may use them? Why do you have a fully-fleshed user interface in Skynet's lair?

Or Avatar: You have access to fuckin spaceship. Why don't you nuke the native from orbit rather than going into a fuckin stupid deathtrap?
The Rda operates a multi million project (the avatar project), solely for PR issues. They can not afford a genocide.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Really, it would be similair to carpet bombing an entire village just because there might be a few terrorists inside. Or burning entire swatches of jungle with napalm to drive out guerilla troops.

Only a tad worse since you're talking about bows and arrows natives  vs gunships

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 03:38:16 pm »

Well, or use missiles then.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »

Makes them a pretty shitty company if they can't cover up a genocide on a backwards ass world only they have access to, seeing as much worse stuff was covered up here on earth.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 03:50:26 pm »

Makes them a pretty shitty company if they can't cover up a genocide on a backwards ass world only they have access to, seeing as much worse stuff was covered up here on earth.
A compagny who's funding exceeds that of several countries has many enemies who just need an excuse to try and take them down. Considering the internet and stuff, I doubt that whitout killing/ keeping everyone there word would have out.

Why take such risks when they could just take out an iconic part of their culture and be done with it. It's not like the natives could do any serious harm.

Well, or use missiles then.
Flux vortex jams automatic tracking. Also, why would a mining compagny have long range missiles?

Avatar has it's flaws, but I don't consider not going genocidal one of them. The humans aren't evil or something, they just prefer profits
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:56:04 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 04:00:11 pm »

Man, they have tanks and gunships.... The only reasons they don't have missiles is rule of cool really.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:13 pm »

Man, they have tanks and gunships.... The only reasons they don't have missiles is rule of cool really.
I didn't see any tanks last time I watched.

Besides, the missiles would have worked anyway. The Dragon couldn't hit a target only a few hundred meter away untill it launched it's fourth missile.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 88