Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 128947 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1290 on: March 21, 2016, 01:28:57 pm »

Even Watney doesn't really get through the kind of psychological despair and so on you'd expect. Although to be fair it's also to focus more on the science of staying alive.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, but hated the writing. I was really looking forward to the movie because of that, and it was quite good I think, even if the format doesn't let them dwelve as long on the science thing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1291 on: March 21, 2016, 02:11:02 pm »

Even Watney doesn't really get through the kind of psychological despair and so on you'd expect. Although to be fair it's also to focus more on the science of staying alive.
The author does the legwork justifying that by mentioning that he is a terrifyingly cheerful person and that that's part of why he's on the team of astronauts. The reason he decides to write the diary is also as a way of venting and relieving himself psychologically. Not to mention pretty early on he-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:12:52 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 21, 2016, 02:55:52 pm »

Ok this will be spoilerrific so i'll keep it in spoilers.
Zootopia.
And now in hindsight... it's as if tumblr made this movie and i'm annoyed that i retroactively managed to ruin my experience.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1293 on: March 21, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »

Zootopia.
And now in hindsight... it's as if tumblr made this movie and i'm annoyed that i retroactively managed to ruin my experience.
Sounds like the movie was too vague in it's message.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 21, 2016, 03:26:32 pm »

Zootopia.
[...]
Haven't seen it, and probably won't any time soon, so was willing to read your spoiler.

Apart from the colour polarisation you mention, it doesn't seem too far off the plot I expected from hearing what the producers/writers/whoeveritwaswhogotinterviewed hinted towards, in some interview with them before release.

Because prey animals necessarily outnumber their hunters, naturally, and so if they then happened to form a coherent (and dare I suggest 'democratic'?) society, but now without all the normal 'red in tooth and claw' going on, who is dominant?

Or such was the initial conceit, so it was said, and was pre-release information I have no qualms mentioning.  Doubtless you know more, having actually seen the production.  (The rest of the spoiler, as I understand it, follows on from that.  But I'll leave my exact analysis and thoughts on that unsaid lest I spoil in the open that which you deliberately hid.)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 21, 2016, 03:48:34 pm »

Well i polarized it a bit too much i guess that's that's the gist of it but there are other conflicts that straight up black vs white.
Like for example the main character rabbit who wants to be a policewoman and came to the big city from a rural area.
She's getting discriminated as well because she's perceived as too smal and weak to be a good cop.
It looks like misogyny at first until you realize that the issue is again racial... rabbits are just too darn small.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 22, 2016, 05:16:00 am »

Has anyone said anything about Kung Fu Panda 3? It's too late for me to be making any coherent points but I know in my gut there were things to be said about that movie.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 22, 2016, 06:14:00 pm »

Zootopia.

What else did you expect from a kid's movie made in the CURRENT YEAR?

I have high hopes for Angry Birds, even though I hate the very idea of a movie based on a 99 cent phone game. It seems like a kinda redpilled movie. I think it's made by a Finnish studio, so that might explain it.
NOT BRAZILIAN

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1298 on: March 23, 2016, 06:13:16 am »

I have high hopes for Angry Birds, even though I hate the very idea of a movie based on a 99 cent phone game. It seems like a kinda redpilled movie. I think it's made by a Finnish studio, so that might explain it.
Given the current climate in Europe and the media slamming anything not in line with their narrative, I'm surprised that they can still make the movie without being accused of "racist undertones" or something.

I thought people were overthinking it at first, seemed like a coincidence to me, but after seeing the trailer and all the little reflections of the situation in some of European countries it seemed more like a pattern to me.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 23, 2016, 05:50:29 pm »

Given the current climate in Europe and the media slamming anything not in line with their narrative, I'm surprised that they can still make the movie without being accused of "racist undertones" or something.

I thought people were overthinking it at first, seemed like a coincidence to me, but after seeing the trailer and all the little reflections of the situation in some of European countries it seemed more like a pattern to me.
From what I recall, the inspiration for the game was that the author thought birds might be angry at pigs because swine flu stole the headlines from the avian flu.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: March 24, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »

Has anyone said anything about Kung Fu Panda 3? It's too late for me to be making any coherent points but I know in my gut there were things to be said about that movie.
Was terrible predictable in all the senses of the word. And the supernatural menace felt overly forced and somewhat smears the coolness of the past movies. Specially the first one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 24, 2016, 07:32:56 pm »

Was terrible predictable in all the senses of the word. And the supernatural menace felt overly forced and somewhat smears the coolness of the past movies. Specially the first one.

The issue I guess was he was too unstoppable except right at the end.

Would have been nice if he had to at least defeat you to use his ultimate attack... give the illusion that he might be beatable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1302 on: July 03, 2018, 05:36:03 pm »

In suicide squad, no attention is paid to the elite soldiers accompanying the "suicide squad," even though the elite soldiers undertake all of the actual suicide missions in the movie and are the only unit to actually entirely perish ??? ??? ???

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 03, 2018, 05:51:34 pm »

Rappel In Peace Ropeguy
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 05, 2018, 06:12:29 am »

Loved deadpool 2 despite lots of crítics. But the post credits scene isn't made clear if are just jokes or it truly happens. Guess we'll have to wait for the 3.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88