Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88]

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 127917 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1305 on: November 05, 2018, 06:16:42 am »

Gravity with Clooney and Bullock.

Opening scene:  "OK kids, lets see how much RCS fuel I can waste with all the unnecessary movements of my MMU! It's not like it costs thousands of dollars per pound or anything! It makes me look cool, and that's all that matters! Also-- Crew meeting in space!"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 05, 2018, 08:35:34 am »

And enough deltaV that sudden unavailability of a manoeuvering jet to help push him round another 'orbit' of the shuttle/etc would result in very quickly flying off altogether, before even he (demonstrably expert) could perhaps work out which working RCS thrusters would help, after rotation.

(And the "record for being in space", that I think he was pressing for, would have been accomplished and more justifiable to whoever at Mission Control he was being supported by just sitting still (relatively). I'm sure they could have worked out a good reason to be 'sat just off the shuttle' to oversee some other aspect of work or other. Without the inherently dangerous dynamics that were worse than just twiddling thumbs.)

...but that aint really a nitpick. Just an excuse for all the other things one could nitpick it for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 05, 2018, 09:45:41 am »

In the alternate universe of Gravity, a fire extinguisher has enough oomph to change orbital planes to rendezvous with Tiangong-1 from ISS. I suspect the RCS thrusters are likewise made from repurposes extinguishers, thus having enough spare delta-V to go to the Moon if needed be.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 05, 2018, 09:47:25 am »

In the alternate universe of Gravity, a fire extinguisher has enough oomph to change orbital planes to rendezvous with Tiangong-1 from ISS. I suspect the RCS thrusters are likewise made from repurposes extinguishers, thus having enough spare delta-V to go to the Moon if needed be.
Someone's been playing SS13, I see.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:05 am »

It's amazing how the mind can be irrationally resistant to acquiring arbitrary bits of knowledge. For example, I keep deluding myself that one day I'll muster enough focus and care to properly figure out what SS13 is. For now, I've decided to assume 'playing SS13' is an euphemism for masturbation. Which would mean you think I'm going blind, I guess?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:44 am »

It's amazing how the mind can be irrationally resistant to acquiring arbitrary bits of knowledge. For example, I keep deluding myself that one day I'll muster enough focus and care to properly figure out what SS13 is. For now, I've decided to assume 'playing SS13' is an euphemism for masturbation. Which would mean you think I'm going blind, I guess?
Well, that sort of experience would indicate a certain proficiency with a hose and nozzle, which would be helpful when using a fire extinguisher to maneuver in a zero-gravity environment.

And if you're resistant to acquiring arbitrary bits of knowledge, SS13 isn't really for you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 05, 2018, 10:18:44 am »

SS13 isn't really for you.
I've always known it in my heart. Thank you for the validation.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: November 05, 2018, 10:25:48 am »

Well, that sort of experience would indicate a certain proficiency with a hose and nozzle, which would be helpful when using a fire extinguisher to maneuver in a zero-gravity environment.

And if you're resistant to acquiring arbitrary bits of knowledge, SS13 isn't really for you.

I want to learn!  I want to try, but I never... quite... find the time.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 05, 2018, 12:15:34 pm »

(We're off the.topic of Nitpicking Movies, but I've recently been playing with the Spaceflight Simulator on Android, like a 2d KSP with Sun-to-Mars 'real' planetary system. Controls and switch-focus necessities are awkward when separating bits (probably build-order of the stack(s) needs to be more logically pursued, by me) that sometimes leads to losing vital bits, but it's still absurdly easy to send up a Moon lander. 9 times out of 10 I crash the lander (try to jettison the spent first-descent stage and end up throwing the fully-fuelled landing stages away, and have to hunt for them on the larger view and reacquire their control before lithobreaking occurs), but it's absurdly easy to send some side-probes off after attaining a decent Lunar Transfer, each with enough spare fuel to burn out of Earth's influence, one 'up' to Mars and one 'down' to Venus, to encounter, aerobrake and then soft-land both. The beauty of an atmosphere, with some negatives (though not as negative as the real Venus) but plenty of over-coddling positives. Oh, and doubtless absurd power-to-weight fuel ratios, to make it not painful at all to achieve or change orbits. If it were realistic, even Gravity-realistic, it'd be no fun at all.)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 05, 2018, 04:05:39 pm »

not necessarily a movie but ever since someone pointed out that every female character in Overwatch looks bascally the same I can't stop seeing it. It infuriates me. They dropped a new cinematic last week and not only is there another anime girlface (that looks so much like Mercy people thought it was a skin for her) they introduced a robot character that they SPECIFICALLY REDESIGNED  so that they'd present more as female AND have the Overwatch sameface.

I've had a lot of gripes with the Blizzard character designers over the years (just in Overwatch the costume design sucks sometimes and I can't... why the LED's blizzard. why are people turning their bodies into ricers. it doesn't make sense.) but this just really takes the cake. It's like someone is in charge making sure every female character fits an extremely specific fetish.

They pass up on genuinely cool ideas for character design (everybody was hoping Blackwatch McCree would be a young McCree with like, a kevlar vest and boots he'd look more like Reyes does and it'd be lit, instead we got the edgiest cowboy in the southwest) just so they can fit with these incredibly strange and nonsensical character design guidelines. I need to know more. I need to know who the fetish guy is. How much does he get paid? Is this the same guy that made every male WoW character 8 feet tall? Who are you blizzard design man.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 05, 2018, 04:11:25 pm »

Well, for the WoW (and Warcraft in general) characters being 8 feet tall and 9 feet wide, I believe Samwise Didier was actually the primary force behind that design... And he was just copying off of and expanding upon established Warhammer Fantasy designs, so now you know where that's from.

Didier hasn't officially been part of Blizz for years though, so I have no idea who's calling the shots there now. I could ask some of the peeps I know who work there (in the art department even), but that would involve social interaction.

Torbjörnette when.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 05, 2018, 07:54:41 pm »

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but Blizzard's style and aesthetic tone has always struck me as peculiarly horrible in small ways. I get the impression that every aspect of their work is engineered by committee to not only be the most inoffensive and accessible content possible to any audience today, but also to be so unambitious that it can stay passable for any unknown future audience decades later. It's like they don't know if Wahhabi stay-at-home moms will be the next lucrative market they'll need to hoover up in 15 years, so they keep everything so plodding and puddle-deep that it could be sold to them if the opportunity arises. It's not that much of it is exceedingly ugly, but it shoves the mercenary cynicism of their commercial motives right in the player's face in a way that I could never get past.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 06, 2018, 01:26:05 am »

I just think WoW is too cartoonish.

Warcraft 3 too now that that I think of it.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1318 on: November 11, 2018, 10:16:29 pm »

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but Blizzard's style and aesthetic tone has always struck me as peculiarly horrible in small ways. I get the impression that every aspect of their work is engineered by committee to not only be the most inoffensive and accessible content possible to any audience today, but also to be so unambitious that it can stay passable for any unknown future audience decades later. It's like they don't know if Wahhabi stay-at-home moms will be the next lucrative market they'll need to hoover up in 15 years, so they keep everything so plodding and puddle-deep that it could be sold to them if the opportunity arises. It's not that much of it is exceedingly ugly, but it shoves the mercenary cynicism of their commercial motives right in the player's face in a way that I could never get past.
I got that impression with the strange characterisation of Sarah Kerrigan, especially their attempts to have her be sympathetic & the destroyer of billions of innocents at the same time
Though I imagine that's true of a lot of things these days, you start off with a creative vision made by a dozen arguing writers and then you have focus groups play with the frankenstein monster the writers made while the producers are bringing the thing to life
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88]