Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 128545 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 04:06:06 pm »

Well, not tank, but huge armed mech.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »

the missiles could only be used line-of-sight, they could still use them, just not their tracking systems.
This, and how are you going to justify storing long range missiles. (Also, the jamming magnetical effect is persistent on the entire planet(though much weaker). That's why they are using outdated technology, and don't have any fancy 22the era technology) You can justify having armoured helicopters (Giant pterodactyls in the sky), using armoured mechs (These are actually quite widespread, according to the guide) but not missiles.

As for the mechs, they're more glorified exosuits than mechs. They are not that strong.

If you want to nitpick about idiots things, try

1. The existence of live on the planet
2. Why are we using those fragile prop engines again?
3. The entire Na'Vi battle strategy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:21:17 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 04:26:14 pm »

Also, why are the Na'vi the only vertebrate that don't have a 6-legged body plan?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »

Also, why are the Na'vi the only vertebrate that don't have a 6-legged body plan?
The Ikran are fourlimbed to.

The entire biology doesn't make much sense.  Not even going to try and defend that.

Edit: Well technically it's possible, it's just that the chance is undescribely small. I mean, the chance of their being live near alpha centauri is already astronomically small, and then we're talking about microbiological live.

Note: There's some equation which was solved by some smart scientists and a lot of guessing which suggests that there are about 20 intelligent alien civilazations in the universe.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:35:47 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of genetic memory in Assassin's Creed.  I see no reason to whine about how impossible it is.  Virtually every super high tech thing in sci-fi games and movies can't work, otherwise they'd exist today and be science fact.  Faster than light travel anyone?  Lightsabers?  Laser guns?  Hovercraft that are able to go faster than land vehicles?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 05:39:35 pm »

There are several plot holes in Inception which bother me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »

Dark Knight Rises!

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 05:49:49 pm »

You'll have to excuse me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I watched the movie, and I didn't take it very seriously.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 05:56:16 pm »

I get irked whenever a sci-fi makes reference to genetic memory.  I know its sci-fi and I know I'm not supposed to think too hard about it, but for some reason the idea of storing all the information in your brain inside your DNA really bothers me. 

Looking at you Stargate SG1!
Looking at you Assassins Creed!
The human genome itself has about three billion base pairs I think, times two because humans are diploid. So if you need two bits to encode each base pair and are working on a 32-bit byte that's 375,000,000 bytes to store it all. ~1.5GB for 8-bit bytes. I suppose it depends on how efficient the data storage is. If an alien's DNA is Polyploid and/or has more base pairs, that number increases exponentially. DNA is a remarkably efficient storage medium if you look at it from a bit-per-volume standpoint.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:58:33 pm by forsaken1111 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 06:42:22 pm »

2. Why are we using those fragile prop engines again?
3. The entire Na'Vi battle strategy
2)Hover capability probably, though you think they would have at least created some sort of jet hover vehicle that could work almost as well as the props did.
3)Agreed.
The real question is what happens in 7 years when Earth finds out that some alien species "Killing Human Beings! News at 10". Factoring in the few years to get the word around and the population motivated enough, and then the return trip including the further acceleration of space travel technology during this time period, I figure the Na'vi have anywhere from 15-20 years before the full might of Earth's military descend upon them and wipes them out, and then we just take all of the unobtanium anyways.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of genetic memory in Assassin's Creed.  I see no reason to whine about how impossible it is.  Virtually every super high tech thing in sci-fi games and movies can't work, otherwise they'd exist today and be science fact.  Faster than light travel anyone?  Lightsabers?  Laser guns?  Hovercraft that are able to go faster than land vehicles?
1)Lightsabers are actually possible at the current time through use of ionized plasma/magnetic fields. Of course you would need to be hooked up to a large generator to power the dang thing, and you probably couldn't fight with them do to the magnetic fields interfering with each other and you losing plasma containment.
2)Laser guns fall in a similar category of "possible, but not practical". Currently the U.S. is working on a type of aircraft mounted laser that could deal substantial damage through use of a double pulse (the first ionizes the air to prevent refraction, then the second actually damages the target), but it's highly experimental currently and very prone to overheating if you fire more then one double-shot in a short period. So laser tanks are a much more probable thing then laser handguns.
3)Hovercraft can beat some land vehicles over certain types of terrain (namely swamp, ice, and sand), but generally at the point when a hover vehicle reaches speeds higher then those of a land based one we tend to call it an aircraft.
4)Faster then light hyperspace like in Star Wars? Not possible. Faster then light like found in Star Trek is theoretically possible by cheating the laws of physics though (you aren't actually moving faster then light, your just bending space so every step you take counts as several in normal space). Of course to do so you would need to be able to manipulate negative mass (possible due to the known existence of negative energy, but probably doesn't exist normally), but it's technically possible to do.
A lot of the sci-fi stuff out there isn't impossible, or even improbable, it just isn't practical. Even the "sci-fi stuff" that we can do now most of it would involve being hooked up to a big-ass generator just to power it, making handheld devices not practical; though if somebody ever comes up with a compact "super battery" then there is already a bunch of stuff out there in the sci-fi worlds that would become commonplace.

Dark Knight Rises!

Lastly on the topic of DNA storage (ignore the first two panel rows):
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

The real question is what happens in 7 years.

Avatar 2, that's what'll happen.  ;)

1)Lightsabers are actually possible at the current time through use of ionized plasma/magnetic fields. Of course you would need to be hooked up to a large generator to power the dang thing, and you probably couldn't fight with them do to the magnetic fields interfering with each other and you losing plasma containment.

So they're possible in theory... except they wouldn't work anything like their movie versions. Right. :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

They're possible, not just with our tech level. If they only used stuff we have the technology for, it wouldn't be sci-fi.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 06:53:35 pm »

I hope that helps.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:00:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »

Posting for spoilers.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 06:56:19 pm »

The entire biology doesn't make much sense.  Not even going to try and defend that.
A high gravity world of carbon based life forms, and not a single snake to be seen.

WHY AREN'T THEY ALL SNAKES?!!

As for the Dark Knight... Not even going to go there. They might as well have called the fusion bomb a magic bomb or something. I wouldn't be surprised if Christopher Nolan jumped out of the screen during the end, slapped everyone in the audience with a fish and said, JUST KIDDING! IT WAZ BATMAN'S CLONE THAT DROVE THE BAT!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88