Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130317 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #495 on: April 04, 2013, 08:05:01 am »

Yea, remember?
The qualifying race was at night when the arcade was closed, and the winners would be the characters on the roster for the races for that day when the kids were actually playing.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 04, 2013, 08:08:10 am »

Man, I must've got confused by that bit where they got the coin they used to pay for the race back if they won(which was the initial reason for Ralph helping Penelope).
Somehow I got in my head that it was the only way to get coins. But of course this is consistent with getting coins for winning any race, so there.

Now I can love the film unconditionally. Cheers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #497 on: April 06, 2013, 09:14:00 am »

Prometheus.

And it only took the studying of their viral marketing campaign to understand just how many questions without answers there are.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 06, 2013, 11:04:54 am »

Prometheus.

And it only took the studying of their viral marketing campaign to understand just how many questions without answers there are.
I remember that movie!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 06, 2013, 11:09:20 am »

Prometheus.
See, when they don't teach people evolution in schools, even Prometheus starts making sense.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 06, 2013, 07:34:59 pm »

Trixie Oz, TGAP. There is so much to nitpick about this movie that I'll probably make a YouTube video about it but there is one thing that continues to bug me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:36:33 pm by NobodyPro »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 08, 2013, 11:12:15 am »

See, when they don't teach people evolution in schools, even Prometheus starts making sense.

Maybe they're teaching Evolution in schools.  ∴)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 08, 2013, 11:25:15 am »

Maybe they're teaching Evolution in schools.  ∴)
Come to think of it, the black goo was kinda similar to Head&Shoulders...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 10, 2013, 10:26:08 pm »

Ok here is one... It was a movie about "What is there was a Small Pox Epidemic in modern time"

And frankly it was pretty good and quite realistic. Terrible things happened and governments made mistakes but it seemed to be the kind of mistakes they would do by being overtaxed.

Yes the premise on how the pandemic even occurred drove me nuts.

Ok in New York they just saw someone die of Small pox in the hospital... They KNOW it is small pox, they have consultants that it is small pox, and they have no idea where it came from.

They have the option to shut down transportation to stop, or limit, the spread and they decide not to because "we don't know it is small pox"

Look Movie... I am not a doctor, I am not a scientist, I am even the guy who thought Small pox killed through infection (Boy was I wrong, only the least deadly small pox does that)... but even "I" can tell what small pox is. CLOSE THE STUPID TRANSPORT SYSTEM!

It ruined the entire movie because every second I go back to "If only New York didn't have idiots in charge"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 11, 2013, 09:10:58 am »

Ok I'm probably going to be way off here because I'm not a trekkie.

@Neonivek Probably because shutting down the transportation system would effectively shut down new york and cost the city millions, if not billions of dollars.  People do stupid stuff when money is on the line. 

I really would not be surprised if that it exactly how it would play out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 11, 2013, 10:00:38 am »

They'd probably refuse to shut it down if it meant they were going to be late for golf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 11, 2013, 11:21:00 am »

Ok I'm probably going to be way off here because I'm not a trekkie.

It's a long time since I've seen that (despite it being a "rule of even numbers" good one to watch, in that particular film series).  The more meta-explanation is of course that during the filming of WoK they didn't know they were going to be doing that.  (When they asked the appropriate cast-members how they might accomplish the intended actions for the sequel, IIRC someone said "remember that off-script improvisation...? ...well, I was thinking...", or similar.)

Less meta, it can't be a common thing that happens (something available for the brightest, best, or just plain luckiest of the society), so it either might not be common knowledge, or not at the front of anyone's mind.  Even (especially?) a cold, hard, logical one.  Also, it needed the end of WoK and SfS events to ensure the 'vessel' was lined up.

Spoiler: ...continuing (click to show/hide)
Either "forces of creation" helped feather-bed it, or as it was planet-bound (a change from the usual sun-bound trajectory of such things in such futuristic rituals, or else to get totally lost in the vastness of inter-stellar space), perhaps they didn't want it to crash and smash, and send indignified vaguely identifiable bits and pieces all over the landscape.  Nor 'bomb' the pristine landscape with any pyrotechnic element to the payload (or the remaining potential in the capsule's drive system).  The drive might therefore be tasked to allow a more leisurely (less combat-related) path with enough left over to give a vaguely soft and dignified landing.

There are other problems, I can think of.  Bit, like I said, it's been a while since I've seen it so I'm not going to make myself look sillier than I already have done.

@Neonivek Probably because shutting down the transportation system would[...]
In light of the above context, first misread that as "...the Transporter system..." ;)

Haven't seen the film, but I imagine someone is thinking "but is it really smallpox (as opposed to many other poxes, or pox-like conditions)?  And if I shut the system down, panic ensues financial repercussions, rioting, etc, and then it turns out not to be, then I'm kissing my [political?] ass good-bye..."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 11, 2013, 03:38:06 pm »

There was that episode in The Next Generation when Worf's Klingon girlfriend arrived to the Enterprise in an empty photon torpedo, to save time. I'd think they have a few more settings than "crash and explode", even if the episode doesn't exactly hint that the missile is capable of full atmospheric reentry and soft landing :P

Or was it a probe? Same thing really.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 11, 2013, 04:10:29 pm »

I am aware that politicians do some REALLY stupid things... but would they really not do the proper epidemic procedures if they saw Small Pox in a hospital and had experts say it was?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 12, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »

I am aware that politicians do some REALLY stupid things... but would they really not do the proper epidemic procedures if they saw Small Pox in a hospital and had experts say it was?
I don't doubt that some might.  Whether saner heads might raise their voices in public (or 'leaked, off-the-record') dissent is another matter, and then its a slanging match of dubious benefit[1].

(It also works the other way around...  'experts' announcing that a vaccine is unsafe, even when that's pretty much discredited by the majority of other experts, and this could result in far worse health consequences.  So who do you trust to publicise/censor such news?  And what happens if both sides shout loudly?)

[1] With the worst-case scenario that no quarantine is raised (when it might need to have been), but still there's an early panic (that might yet be baseless) with all the travel chaos that this causes.  Damned if you try to flee, possibly damned if you don't.  Playing the odds, I'd probably be looking to either flee[2], or barricade myself up somewhere for the duration, all the while fearing an imminent Scorched Earth policy by desperate military authorities.

[2] I already have several "Zombie plague fallback positions" in mind, dependant on what travel options I have open to me.  My own house is low on the list and there as a backup only.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 88