Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130000 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #690 on: January 11, 2015, 02:11:41 pm »

IIRC, the ISS crew could go down, but decided to stay up to maintain some of the more important satellites, and there was no one to get them after splashdown anyway. They scavenged supply from a chinese space station too.

And as for the US army... Well, the zeds are awfulyy hard to kill. They DID manage to stop the zeds at the rockies though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 11, 2015, 02:14:03 pm »

I want a sequel to that book for if they take back Asia because China realy f'd up by throwing millions of untrained idiots against the horde just making it so much larger
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:02 pm »

I want a sequel to that book for if they take back Asia because China realy f'd up by throwing millions of untrained idiots against the horde just making it so much larger

Wouldn't an untrained idiot STILL take out more zombies? Like, at least two...

Though almost all zombie apocalypses usually have to make their zombies magical to work.

The only one that didn't was 48 (or 42, or 28 days... whatever number it was) where the zombies did eventually die off of natural causes...

Bonus points for Resident Evil, the games, where once again the undead actually will eventually die off all on their own or become inert.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:48:53 pm by Neonivek »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 11, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »

IIRC, the ISS crew could go down, but decided to stay up to maintain some of the more important satellites, and there was no one to get them after splashdown anyway. They scavenged supply from a chinese space station too.

And as for the US army... Well, the zeds are awfulyy hard to kill. They DID manage to stop the zeds at the rockies though.
The Soyuz lands on land (And the survival kit has a pistol, so). There have been no spacecraft doing splashdowns after the Apollo project IIRC.

And the ISS isn't exactly well placed to repair satellites (completely wrong orbit). Speaking about the wrong orbit, the ISS might not even last the entire time. Depends on when the novel is set, of course. Orbital decay is heavily dependent on the solar cycle.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:27 pm »

People who enable their brains while watching Pacific Rim are pretty dumb imo :P
The plot is sort of shitty but holy shit that movie was tense and exciting.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:41 pm »

People who enable their brains while watching Pacific Rim are pretty dumb imo :P
The plot is sort of shitty but holy shit that movie was tense and exciting.

To me it doesn't matter how dumb or silly a plot is so long as it is internally consistent.

It is why weird things almost never bug me no matter how odd it gets. Yet anything that refers to a process in real life, but gets it entirely wrong suddenly offputs me.

It is why the part of Jem that actually bugs me isn't the scene where Jem, in a children's cartoon, is in the middle of a room when jagged pieces of glass are flung at her at high speeds ready to kill her... but rather the fact that she is perpetually poor... in spite selling hundreds of millions of albums and singles in a single year and selling out concerts.

In fact the show goes to such lengths to make Jem successful it is ridiculous! Like when she sold a million copies of an album in a single chain... in what amounts to 3 weeks... and this album? Created in a single week, complete with clothes, and a matching car.

Seriously how is someone who can pull of a double platinum hit with a weeks worth of work have any financial problems? Sure she does a LOT of benefit concerts and charity work but they never take that much time or are that lucrative. I even had to calculate

The most expensive charities she runs is
A) A Orphanage, which is about $200,000 dollars a year to run at best.
B) A Radio show... which would cost about $12,000 a year.

Even in the 80s, and I am using modern numbers for that. And she has several gold albums and like 2 platinums.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 11, 2015, 06:02:14 pm »

Also all giant robot movies, because such things simply cannot exist. They would either collapse on their own weight, or if their piloted, the pilot would faint from motion sickness

Anything with dragons annoys me. A lizard with wings that can breathe fire? Who would fall for that?

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic here, but there is a difference between my statement and yours. Giant robots are presumably man-made, usually in a sci-fi context, thus they should to some extent obey the laws of physics. The types of robots I'm talking about are the humanoid looking ones, which really would not be possible (or pilotable).

Dragons are mythical creatures usually found in a fantasy setting/context. Such creatures can actually exist (flight and flame can both be explained with the storage of flammable, lighter-than-air gases, like methane, in a special organ), but more than that the setting can usually justify their existence one way or another. It is usually the opposite for giant mecha movies.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #697 on: January 11, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »

Really, my main problem with that book is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 11, 2015, 06:18:57 pm »

After reading the book, here's my understanding:

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 11, 2015, 08:12:02 pm »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 11, 2015, 08:22:22 pm »

In the third starship troopers movie they have planet killers. As in, full on Alderaan on their asses. But then the next (animated) movie shows the bugs got some new tricks, so no happy ending just yet.
I found it jarring how pretty much nobody dies in the animated films. I suppose they were aimed at children, but the contrast with the films made it seem really surreal.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 11, 2015, 08:32:48 pm »

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic here, but there is a difference between my statement and yours. Giant robots are presumably man-made, usually in a sci-fi context, thus they should to some extent obey the laws of physics. The types of robots I'm talking about are the humanoid looking ones, which really would not be possible (or pilotable).

Dragons are mythical creatures usually found in a fantasy setting/context. Such creatures can actually exist (flight and flame can both be explained with the storage of flammable, lighter-than-air gases, like methane, in a special organ), but more than that the setting can usually justify their existence one way or another. It is usually the opposite for giant mecha movies.

Which is obviously why you won't watch any movies or shows with FTL travel, telepathy, slower than light lasers, dogfighting spaceships or anything else that is entirely unrealistic and implausable. As opposed to dragons which could totally exist.

Scifi shows don't have to follow the laws of physics, especially if they're soft scifi like the ones giant robot shows usually fall into. They can bend or play with physics using 'science' in pretty much the same way that fantasy does it with magic. How many fantasy shows actually go in-depth into how dragons can exist? They generally violate the square-cube law, and several other things, just as bad as giant robots do. Yet people still accept them without batting an eye or demanding a reason on why they work. So why can't we do the same for mecha? It's just a different set of base assumptions after all. As long as your audience's suspension of disbelief remains intact then you can do pretty much whatever you want, and throw whatever made-up junk you want at them.

In conclusion: Soft scifi is a thing and nobody minds if you don't like giant robot shows because of it. But saying that you don't like them on grounds of realism without clarifying anything beyond that statement will probably earn you many sarcastic replies on the internet. Especially if you turn around and say that dragons could exist.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 12, 2015, 02:19:15 am »

In the third starship troopers movie they have planet killers. As in, full on Alderaan on their asses. But then the next (animated) movie shows the bugs got some new tricks, so no happy ending just yet.
I found it jarring how pretty much nobody dies in the animated films. I suppose they were aimed at children, but the contrast with the films made it seem really surreal.

I was referring to the film, 'invasion', which was supposed to be connected to the films I think. Plenty dead there.

People did die in the animated series, but indeed not that often. That death at the end of the series hit rather hard though, and was actually dealt with afteward regarding the impact on the other characters. They do often mention things like 'heavy losses' when talking about the general state of the war, but indeed don't really show troopers get bitten in half.

After reading the book, here's my understanding:

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2015, 02:27:16 am »

Which is obviously why you won't watch any movies or shows with FTL travel, telepathy, slower than light lasers, dogfighting spaceships or anything else that is entirely unrealistic and implausable. As opposed to dragons which could totally exist.

Scifi shows don't have to follow the laws of physics, especially if they're soft scifi like the ones giant robot shows usually fall into. They can bend or play with physics using 'science' in pretty much the same way that fantasy does it with magic. How many fantasy shows actually go in-depth into how dragons can exist? They generally violate the square-cube law, and several other things, just as bad as giant robots do. Yet people still accept them without batting an eye or demanding a reason on why they work. So why can't we do the same for mecha? It's just a different set of base assumptions after all. As long as your audience's suspension of disbelief remains intact then you can do pretty much whatever you want, and throw whatever made-up junk you want at them.

In conclusion: Soft scifi is a thing and nobody minds if you don't like giant robot shows because of it. But saying that you don't like them on grounds of realism without clarifying anything beyond that statement will probably earn you many sarcastic replies on the internet. Especially if you turn around and say that dragons could exist.

The point, obviously, is internal consistency. Any development of special materials that might make mechas plausible would also make them redundant. The point is not that they can no exist, the point is that in the logic of the series, they have no reason to exist.

The only reason why you would want to have a giant mech is style points, basically.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 12, 2015, 02:29:01 am »

Has anybody brought up the issue that the character Indiana Jones is not strictly essential to resolving the main conflict of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?

He doesn't stop the Nazis. He inadvertently leads them to the Ark and he only survives to the end of the m0vie because of divine intervention.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 88